273 Rockers

-

shags72

Code Monkey
Reaction score
Were all 273 rocker arms the same? I mean was there a difference between the 2bbl and 4bbl engine valvetrains? I guess I should ask if there's an available source for the adjusters anymore too. Thanks

So far as I know --there might have been minor manufacturing changes--but I believe they all interchange.

All of the adjustable 273 rockers interchange and all of the hydraulic non adjustable rockers interchange. They weren't all solid lifter engines. The later ones were hydraulic. I don't remember where the hydraulic lifter engines were phased in.

Thanks everyone. I have a 340 I'm putting together and only have a short block and am looking at possibly getting a 273 or 318 complete to get most of the hardware, little thought of parts that I will need and thought the adjustable rockers would be a nice addition to it. I have a 67 273 near me complete with pulleys and all.

Thanks everyone. I have a 340 I'm putting together and only have a short block and am looking at possibly getting a 273 or 318 complete to get most of the hardware, little thought of parts that I will need and thought the adjustable rockers would be a nice addition to it. I have a 67 273 near me complete with pulleys and all.
Remember, the 273 adjustables take different pushrods. Original solid lifter cam takes one type and those adjustable rockers with a hydraulic cam take a different length. Those adjustable rockers were designed and used with a solid cam and don't have much of a benefit on a hydraulic lifter application.

I recently saw a complete 273 for sale somewhere around here for pretty cheap, I wonder if it is the same one? I'll see if I can find the listing. I'd have jumped on it but i'm out of space and already have two spare small blocks.

Remember, the 273 adjustables take different pushrods. Original solid lifter cam takes one type and those adjustable rockers with a hydraulic cam take a different length. Those adjustable rockers were designed and used with a solid cam and don't have much of a benefit on a hydraulic lifter application.
Thanks, I didn't realize there was much of a difference. I think I may go solid or solid roller so I may be needing new push rods too if solid roller.

I recently saw a complete 273 for sale somewhere around here for pretty cheap, I wonder if it is the same one? I'll see if I can find the listing. I'd have jumped on it but i'm out of space and already have two spare small blocks.
Ya I saw one near Lansing Michigan. That's 5.5 hours one way for me. I just found a pretty much complete 318 for $100. I might just go that direction. I don't know how much I can sell parts off of the 273 for to recoup some of my money though it does come with a transmission too.

Ya I saw one near Lansing Michigan. That's 5.5 hours one way for me. I just found a pretty much complete 318 for $100. I might just go that direction. I don't know how much I can sell parts off of the 273 for to recoup some of my money though it does come with a transmission too.
I believe all 273s came with a forged crankshaft. That's got to be worth something.

Were all 273 rocker arms the same? I mean was there a difference between the 2bbl and 4bbl engine valvetrains? I guess I should ask if there's an available source for the adjusters anymore too. Thanks
First year up to a certain date, the oil holes in the rocker shafts weren't slot cut for better oiling. That can be and should be done. As mentioned, 2bbl and 4bbl used the same ones in a given year. '64-7 were solid cam with adjustable rockers. '68-9 were hydraulic cam with non-adjustable rockers. To convert from one to the other, include cam, lifters, push rods, and rocker arm assemblies.

First year up to a certain date, the oil holes in the rocker shafts weren't slot cut for better oiling. That can be and should be done. As mentioned, 2bbl and 4bbl used the same ones in a given year. '64-7 were solid cam with adjustable rockers. '68-9 were hydraulic cam with non-adjustable rockers. To convert from one to the other, include cam, lifters, push rods, and rocker arm assemblies.

Thanks! Not all telling because no history of it, but it is a 67-model year block according to the casting date. 2-9-67. So that should mean the oiling of the shafts and forged crank then. If I do go solid flat tappet, this would make it easier to do I would think.

You might want to look at the year and assembly date stamped into the top front part of the block on the drivers side. If you have the engine out and apart, that would easy to tell also.

My factory 273 adjustable rocker arms and shafts that are on my 340 do not have the banana grooves on the shafts.

They must be ‘64 assemblies…?

My factory 273 adjustable rocker arms and shafts that are on my 340 do not have the banana grooves on the shafts.

Probably. I'm not sure when they started exactly. The '64's I've seen didn't have them, but, my '65's did. Maybe late '64 Or early '65 is when the change was made.

I don't remember my 66's having grooves either and they are originals as far as I know. Every thing else inside was.

-
Back