273 upgrade to 4bbl?

-
@BPTracing I just bought one of those intakes like you posted the pic of in post # 7. It's a nice intake and it has the small ports. You can't beat em for the price! Next best choice would be an Edelbrock Performer, but I would find a used one if you have time to wait on one to pop up. You'll have to re-engineer the transmission kickdown linkage no matter what you use...or run a Lokar cable. Good luck to you.
Yep a small port Air Gap clone. Itshould work great on a little 273 that likes to make power a little higher up on the tach. The old LD4B is great if you can find one.

The only difference between Commando and a 2bbl 273 is cam compression and 4bbl you easily do 2 out of the 3, and run a better cam and intake than the factory, no reason you can't match or exceed factory commando while keeping it streetable.

I picked up a really solid 1967 Dart GT with the original 273 (auto) with 84k miles. I have been driving it quite a bit and love it! ❤️ However, it doesn't have much power/acceleration. As time permits, I plan on upgrading to disk brakes, 4.5 bolt pattern wheels, and an 8-3/4 rear end. But until then I really don't want to do too much to the motor for now. I have been kicking around the idea of getting an edelbrock performer intake and small 4bbl to see if it gives it a little more "pep". The car already came with a dual exhaust system, so I figure the 2bbl is the main performance restriction currently. Just posting to hear if others have had experiences with this kind of upgrade.

A 273 is really not much different than any other small block. You should have the best of the small port heads. Run any intake (Weiand, Offy, factory, or Edelbrock), and a 273 factory AFB, Q-Jet, TQ, 340 AVS, AVS 2, Street Demon, or a small AFB. Replace the timing chain with a double roller. I always replace any 2 barrel with a 4 barrel carb and kickdown. Adjust your valves and set your timing to 10* BTDC. Beautiful Dart!

Last edited:
Ok....so I guess what I found was a chinese "knock off" of the edlebrock intake.....now I have to wonder if it is worth the $135 gamble or just go straight to the real thing......

View attachment 1716171281
Remember the old Fram filters adverts? Pay me now or pay me later. If you purchase questionable Chinesium crap made of recycled Yak turds, you get ****. Plus you are supporting a communist country that is adversarial not an ally.
Bite the bullet and get an Edelbrock made manifold. I would recommend the AVS2 500 carb also. Those will work real well for you on that beautiful car.
Regarding the 8.75" rear swap, I doubt with a 273 that you would hurt the stock rear, unless to get the 4.5" bolt pattern.

All ready has an aftermarket electronic distributor and dual exhaust (stock manifolds).
You are most of the way there and I bet a 4bbl and intake will really liven it up. It helps that it isn't a smogger LA - factory says 8.8:1 for a 67 273 2bbl. As mentioned before, some tuning with the distributor advance curve will also help. The AVSII carbs are a good choice and if the 650 works well on my 318, I bet a 500 would be perfect on a basically stock 273.

Please let us know how it turns out.

You are most of the way there and I bet a 4bbl and intake will really liven it up. It helps that it isn't a smogger LA - factory says 8.8:1 for a 67 273 2bbl. As mentioned before, some tuning with the distributor advance curve will also help. The AVSII carbs are a good choice and if the 650 works well on my 318, I bet a 500 would be perfect on a basically stock 273.

Please let us know how it turns out.
Exactly. One of the first things to bolt on any 2 barrel engine is a 4 barrel and decent intake. That and a little distributor tuning can make a difference. I have a 600 on my 273 and it works well.

If your just doing a 4bbl swap and buying new and don’t plan on other upgrades then a 500 cfm is probably all you need. But I don’t see no reason the normal 600/650 cfm wouldn’t work.

If your just doing a 4bbl swap and buying new and don’t plan on other upgrades then a 500 cfm is probably all you need. But I don’t see no reason the normal 600/650 cfm wouldn’t work.
I was thinking about a replacement for my original carb and bought this 600 (with electric choke) at a swap meet for $100. It works perfect. It was like new. The guy bought it and went with a bigger carb.

Thanks again for replies, suggestions, and general knowledge from everyone!!

I got lucky! My buddy Ben Gorman at ProMax Carbs and Performance came through with a nice "small port" aluminum 4bbl intake!! No markings on it to know the year/brand, but it is dual plane.

Then I found an Edelbrock high flow aluminum water pump in the classified section, and I ordered the power front disk conversion kit from Right Stuff. Now all I need is a few extra days in the week to get things started!!

20231218_095221.jpg

20231218_094813.jpg

When you look into the 8 port openings are the ports split in half with a horizontal divider?

here you go - Offenhauser Low Profile Single Quad manifold part# 5613. From the 2006 Performance Automotive Warehouse (PAW) catalog. This is a really old design as there are drilled and threaded carb mount holes for a Carter WCFB carb (used on many early Mopar 4bbl engines). Offenhauser unlike any of its competitors made (and still make) small runs of any of their manifolds for decades after they were introduced. It might be possible to order one of these new. I am pretty sure that this is a single plane (360 degree) manifold since all the runners are at the same level. If you want me to e-mail you the scan PM me your e-mail address - that way you can see more detail in the picture.
offy intake for 273-318.jpeg

here you go - Offenhauser Low Profile Single Quad manifold part# 5613. From the 2006 Performance Automotive Warehouse (PAW) catalog. This is a really old design as there are drilled and threaded carb mount holes for a Carter WCFB carb (used on many early Mopar 4bbl engines). Offenhauser unlike any of its competitors made (and still make) small runs of any of their manifolds for decades after they were introduced. It might be possible to order one of these new. I am pretty sure that this is a single plane (360 degree) manifold since all the runners are at the same level. If you want me to e-mail you the scan PM me your e-mail address - that way you can see more detail in the picture.
View attachment 1716180026

Hmmm...looks like a close match. I did find a 4 digit number on the bottom.

20231221_160053.jpg

Ok, I have found a part number, and it is a Offenhauser with everything on top ground off. BUT.... the listing I found on Summit for it, shows that is it for 64-65 273, which if I understand correctly is NOT an LA motor. So this will not fit my car?

20231221_160053.jpg

Four barrel will help also don’t for get to extend the kickdown 1 inch when going from 2 to 4 barrel. Your down fall is the gears which is probably 2.93 I got a 7.25 with ten inch drums with 3.55 gears that would pep it up.

If you look at the Offenhauser ad above here you will see the same intake is offered for 64-5 273s and 66 and up 273 and 318 LA motors (with your casting number on the first of those.

so the simple answer to your question is no. The 1964-5 273 is the first of the LA motors, but the intake bolts were smaller and at a slightly different angle. otherwise they are the same. you could drill out the bolt holes but the angle of the intake that you are tightening the bolts down on would be slanted and you might damage the manifold or nor seal well. people have done it successfully but it is a risk. There are tapered washers of various angles that can be bought and I think the right one is a 6 degree taper, that can correct the mating surfaces.

The thing is that there are always people on here trying to find intakes for early 273s and they are hard to find. Intakes for any LA 318 are correct for your 273 and can be had cheaply and easily. Rather than butcher your vintage early 273 intake, why not put it up for sale here on FABO and find a 318 manifold that would actually work better - and given your application find an actual dual plane manifold. You might even pocket some green given how plentiful the later manifolds are and how rare your is.
@65dartcharger

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I have found a part number, and it is a Offenhauser with everything on top ground off. BUT.... the listing I found on Summit for it, shows that is it for 64-65 273, which if I understand correctly is NOT an LA motor. So this will not fit my car?

View attachment 1716181350
Is that a #5489? Will a 3/8" bolt fit in the bolt holes?

-
Back