273 valve covers

-

Dartthunder340

Reaction score
I'm trying to clean up a set of these and was wondering how to remove the finned pieces without damaging them. Also they are supposed to be a satin sheen right? Not polished? Thanks.:thumrigh:

I didn't remove them, taped them off and painted the covers. I don't know what type glue the factory used but I decided not to take them off.

I'm trying to clean up a set of these and was wondering how to remove the finned pieces without damaging them. Also they are supposed to be a satin sheen right? Not polished? Thanks.:thumrigh:

Take one of those plastic extendable blade utility knives and cut the glue underneath.

If they are the factory Commando/Charger ones, the covers should be wrinkle black. You can either try painting them, or have them powder-coated by our very own "Mistress Of Metal" CudaChick1968.

The fins tops should be shiny, along with the plug wire uprights. The rest is a satin-type gloss.

Attachments

• 1965CommandoCovers.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 211
another thumbs up for Leanna as she did mine also

Me 2 She does great work!

Attachments

• spring break09 009.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 177
Thems purdy. I used the spray can, bake-on wrinkle finish and they turned out good. Did them about 10 years ago and they still look good.

Hey DartThunder, I've restored probably thirty sets of those over the years, and quite a few of them were for FABO members. Thanks for the kind words guys. :love5: I love those picture memories!

If you have a heat gun and a strong nose, point it at the underside of a finned piece from inside the valve cover for a few minutes. They're held on with 2 or 3 (usually very sloppy) dabs of black RTV silicone that will soften up with the heat. Grab the uprights with a pair of rag-covered channel locks and give a gentle twist; if it doesn't come right off, heat it up some more. DO NOT pry under it with a screw driver ... they're apparently easy to bend judging by some of them I've seen in my day but aren't so easy to fix.

The fins can be either fully polished or a 2-tone such as you describe; I've seen them show up both ways from customers who claimed they were factory so I can only presume they're right (I wasn't born yet when they started making them lol). Some of the uprights are full like Toolman's up there and others have an opening like this set.

View attachment IM005740.jpg

View attachment IM005742.jpg

View attachment IM006395.jpg

Hope this helps! Good luck with your resto. Keep us posted!

I used a thin putty knife and slowly cut through the "glue" underneath. Also the things are held on with black RTV sealer so when you put them back on just glob then area with a quarter sized drop and press the fins back on and tape then in place overnight. I did mine with VHT wrinkle paint and they came out pretty good

CudaChick, CudaChick, CudaChick, CudaChick

Attachments

• vc1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 69
  • vc2f.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 102
-
Back