273HP, boat anchor or?

-

64mopar64

Reaction score
I purchased a 67 Barracuda early this year. It had been stored for a long time in a damp place. The 273HP was and still is seized, the cylinders contained lots of Marvel Mystery oil. I pulled the engine and transmission last week then pulled the heads. There is rust everywhere but #2 & 3 have more rust than the others. #3 has a broken valve but no marks on the piston while #2 a frozen open exhaust valve. The cam appears scored but lifters and pushrods all turn and appear to be ok. The top of the engine appears OE and complete, carb, linkages and brackets, air cleaner, valve covers, intake and exhaust manifolds, distributor, etc.

I know very little about this car other than where it has been registered and that it was stored for many years. I'm at a loss to guess how the engine got the way it is. I'm planning to go GenIII hemi so I don't need this engine or it's accessories but thought maybe it would be best to ask for opinions before I do something (stupid).

20230419_153628.jpg

20230926_195402.jpg

That's pretty rough. You might be able to save it but at what cost? What's your plans for the car?

Someone may want it for the value of a correct date code block.
Lots of factory desirable parts on that puppy.

Agree, depend on what your plans are. Might be helpful to take pics to a reputable engine builder and ask for an opinion. Shouldn't cost anything for an opinion and cost range on where you would like to take it.

I agree with Darter6. Lost of good parts. I started with less. My engine looked to be in the same condition.

20230705_132746.jpg

Are you concerned with it being the original engine? If so, then try to save it. I don't find myself normally saying this, but I agree. It's rough. I think I'd find a better core. Maybe a 5.2 Magnum? You can always hold onto the original engine. Maybe work on getting it apart.

Did anyone read his original post? He’s going to a Gen 3 hemi. Sell the boat anchor to someone who finds value in it. There’s plenty of stuff there someone can use.

Did anyone read his original post? He’s going to a Gen 3 hemi. Sell the boat anchor to someone who finds value in it. There’s plenty of stuff there someone can use.
Yeah I can read. I'm also FREE to not like the GEN3 engines. lol

I have seen worse engines. List it here and start at $750. You might be surprised. That might cover 5% of your hemi upgrade.

You could get a quote from a Fastenal store in your area. They have good rates.

Just did a 1956 Desoto 330 Hemi that sat for decades rusty and crusty in a barn. Cleaned up at +.030. Commando engines, especially complete, bring good money. Not sure what it would take to free up that short block up. Lots of really good parts there for sure.

Just did a 1956 Desoto 330 Hemi that sat for decades rusty and crusty in a barn. Cleaned up at +.030. Commando engines, especially complete, bring good money. Not sure what it would take to free up that short block up. Lots of really good parts there for sure.
Yes and no. The block and heads are 273 pieces. Nothing special as well as the steel crank. Good for a 273/318 or a light weight 340. The carb and intake are 4 barrel only as well as the rusty air cleaner. Dual point distributor and valve covers as well. These could probably be saved. You might be lucky to get $500 out of the whole thing. That's about all the goid parts are worth in their current condition.

Yes and no. The block and heads are 273 pieces. Nothing special as well as the steel crank. Good for a 273/318 or a light weight 340. The carb and intake are 4 barrel only as well as the rusty air cleaner. Dual point distributor and valve covers as well. These could probably be saved. You might be lucky to get $500 out of the whole thing. That's about all the goid parts are worth in their current condition.

Original AFB, one year only 4 barrel kickdown linkage, Commando intake, air cleaner, valve covers, distributor, rocker assys and pushrods, forged crank, and the heads are sweet. Not arguing, I hate pulling stuck engines apart.

Last edited:
Original AFB, Commando intake, air cleaner, valve covers, distributor, rocker assys and pushrods, forged crank, and the heads are sweet. Not arguing, I hate pulling stuck engines apart.
Forgot about the rockers. There is a chance the pushrods can't be reused. Only if you keep a solid cam and the new lifters are the same dimensions as the original lifters were. Agreed. Stuck pistons and cranks that won't turn are tricky business.

Block is 2806030-273-I heads are 2658920. Carb is an AFB with tag 4295s. The distributor is single point.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I'm leaning toward listing it complete (with 904 trans) rather than harvesting the good stuff and piecing it out. If no one wants it complete I can do parts later.

Who turned this into a sale thread?
Fair enough, Mike. I just kind of got sucked in.
So I would now suggest that if the OP wanted to sell the engine, I would suggest that he placed an ad in the appropriate For Sale Forum for $750 to help offset the Hemi Conversion.

Fair enough, Mike. I just kind of got sucked in.
So I would now suggest that if the OP wanted to sell the engine, I would suggest that he placed an ad in the appropriate For Sale Forum for $750 to help offset the Hemi Conversion.
I was concerned the thread may be construed as a sales thread but really didn't know what I needed to know to decide what to do with the engine. My son has a very nice 67 notch survivor 273 2bbl, I was keeping everything in case he wanted to upgrade to some of the HP components but he finally decided it should stay as it is. He also has a 69 notch that we are heavily modifying for a Gen III 392. I'm going out of town for a few days, will think about the advice and probably make a decision by the time I return. Thanks again for all you thoughts and advice.

-
Back