284/484 MP cam install

-

joedart

Reaction score
HELP! I have seen articles on the MP 284/484 cam installed at a 106 intake centerline on mild 360 builds. My question is what would I lack or benefit if it was installed straight up 0 on my mild build. 360,10.5,stock crank and floated rods,windage tray,2.02/1.60 J heads comp. valve job, smoothed and gasket matched,valley tray,stock 4brl intake smoothed and gasket matched,headers,modified 750 holly.

I've ran that cam in a build very close to yours and really liked it. I installed it straight up. You cam move it around and see where the best power is. The comp cam extreme engergy has 4 degrees already built into the cam when it was ground. You might want to try installing it with 2-4 degree advance but without back to back track times I'm not sure you will notice that much difference. Just my two cents.

Probably only cause a miniscule loss in bottom end power. You could probably overcome that loss with a decent torque converter.

Two degrees advanced will aid in low end torque , may even provide a bit more vaccuum at idle . I ran this cam in a low comp. 360 Auto , you definitely need 4.30 + gearing and a good 3500 stall convertor . Ran the cam both str. up and +2 deg. I didn`t see a lot of difference , but your comp ratio`s higher . Good cam , should run good for you.
Chryco 557

What were your e.t.'s with that motor and what car? Also I have 3.91s is that going to effect or should I run a steeper gear? Did not know this submitted so their is two posts.

Two degrees advanced will aid in low end torque , may even provide a bit more vaccuum at idle . I ran this cam in a low comp. 360 Auto , you definitely need 4.30 + gearing and a good 3500 stall convertor . Ran the cam both str. up and +2 deg. I didn`t see a lot of difference , but your comp ratio`s higher . Good cam , should run good for you.
Chryco 557
Would 3.91s work or should a steeper gear be needed? Also what were your e.t.'s with that motor and what car.

The car the 360 was in was a 1977 Aspen R/T ran the stock convertor ,(don`t do this ), Rebuilt A999 t/f , Weiand Excellerator intake , 780 Holley vac sec , 1 5/8" Casler headers , and a 4.30 suregripped 8 1/4" with street tires ( M&H L60`s) Ran low 14`s High 13`s . Car was heavy , suspension was stock. This was in the late 70`s.
Chryco 557

The car the 360 was in was a 1977 Aspen R/T ran the stock convertor ,(don`t do this ), Rebuilt A999 t/f , Weiand Excellerator intake , 780 Holley vac sec , 1 5/8" Casler headers , and a 4.30 suregripped 8 1/4" with street tires ( M&H L60`s) Ran low 14`s High 13`s . Car was heavy , suspension was stock. This was in the late 70`s.
Chryco 557
Do you think with my combo, 68 Dart, 3250lbs with me in the car 26x9 slicks with all stock rebuilt suspension get me into the mid-13's or high 12's?

-
Back