290hp slant you tube Video

-
Build spec was a little vague, but some good parts used.
The rockers look good.
It was interesting to see the vapor in the DCOE carb stacks as they ran through the RPM's.
I would really have liked to seen what headers would have done.

That thing's really cool. They did a nice job. Carbyooration. lol

Nice, I've always liked how Webers look on the slant.
Wonder where they found the chrome timing cover?

Nice, I've always liked how Webers look on the slant.
Wonder where they found the chrome timing cover?
I wouldda thought AussieSpeed. I looked though and didn't see it. I did see this though. LOL
SLANT6 TUNNEL RAM.jpg

I started making casting patterns to make a 2 pc. aluminum timing cover. I have the block side pattern made, just need to finish making the bolt-on flat cover.

I'll have to unearth it out of the shop. I started it about 3 or so years ago and got mad at some guys on another forum and just set it aside. But I'll dig it out. I also started a finned aluminum oval air cleaner for the Offy 2x2 intake also....need to get back on some of these for sure....

Good numbers from the old slant. But it would be a dog on the street without those Webbers - they do a good job of taming wild cams.
You guys need some more hemi 6s over there, real easy to make good power from - plenty of guys getting 400+ NA.
Beautiful! What would he run for an air cleaner on those carbs?
Plenty of different options for air cleaners available, a lot of guys run the "sock" type air cleaners. I use these but the lid runs a little too close to the ram tubes - need to swap them out for shorter tubes but never got around to it.
227hp at the wheels - not bad for something I slapped together under the house. Never had it on a engine dyno to check the drivetrain loss (small block 904 auto, beefed up diff & driveshaft) so guessing around 300-320 flywheel comparing with others with similar setups who have had their car/engines on both dynos.
They make little box type air cleaners that either bolt over the stacks or replace them.
Never do this. Some people do - but the power loss from removing the trumpets is massive. The air cleaner base plate goes on first then use the trumpets and retaining washers to hold the plate in place.

16379114946117749897221619661548.jpg

16379135410199157091766450816718.jpg

Someone made a post about there being something wrong with this engine on the video and during the adjustments. Of course I can't find it now, jus curious if anyone saw an issue with the build? I contacted the video guy about the carb jettings, but no response yet.

Someone made a post about there being something wrong with this engine on the video and during the adjustments. Of course I can't find it now, jus curious if anyone saw an issue with the build? I contacted the video guy about the carb jettings, but no response yet.
Seems like a pretty nice combo to me, headers would have helped.
If you have a decent cam & compression ratio I would start with the following as a base line:
Chokes - 38mm (36mm if milder motor)
Auxiliary venturis - 4.5
Pump spill valve - 00 (no bypass)
Needle & seat - 250 (200 if milder lower rpm motor)
Float level - 7.5mm (brass floats)
Emulsion tubes- F2 (try F16s first if that is what you have - these get pretty expensive to swap out)
Mains - 145 (140 with 36mm chokes)
Air correctors - 180
idle jets - 55F9 or 50F9 (carb body model/progression hole size, number of holes and placement will impact this a bit)
Accelerator pump jets - 50

Ted265, thank you for the numbers.
I have been putting together my carbs and trying to get the best baseline setup to start.
I have about 10.5 to 1 and a RB ST-21 cam, 520 Lift, 254 @ 50 cam.
1.70 and 1.50 valves.

I did find someone who said at 10.37 in the video there was a fuel leak.
I couldn't see it.

That's a pretty decent cam! I guessing you've got a fair bit of work in the head and the car is more of a track type deal? I run a solid 242@0.050 with 550 lift but it's a street car at 273CI. It likes 40mm chokes - they might be worth a try on it later if you are racing it and turning enough rpm but I think the 1.7" valve will hold you up more than the 38mm chokes.
Didn't notice any fuel leak in the video - unless they were referring to the fuel vapour coming from the carb throats but that's normal.

Like to build a 170 /6 like that spin it 7500+ rpm and put it in a 4 gear early ratty road race type A body :)

-
Back