295/65/15 tire size question

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
I know this question was probably asked many times. Anyone hear running 295/65/15s ? If so what did you have to do to get them to fit ? spring relocate, mini tub Any pictuers

I know this question was probably asked many times. Anyone hear running 295/65/15s ? If so what did you have to do to get them to fit ? spring relocate, mini tub Any pictuers
3/4" offset spring hangars, stretched front of fender well to the inner fender panel- same shape as stock, a little massaging inside in a couple of spots. wheel offset is '' CRITICAL''. ----68 barracuda fastback,dana 60 w/ disc brakes.

3/4" offset spring hangars, stretched front of fender well to the inner fender panel- same shape as stock, a little massaging inside in a couple of spots. wheel offset is '' CRITICAL''. ----68 barracuda fastback,dana 60 w/ disc brakes.
On my barracuda I moved the springs in, moved the inner tubs in 1.5 inches. I wanted to keep the fold down seat. I also narrowed the rear 1.5 inches from each side. I am also going to run rear disk brakes.

On my barracuda I moved the springs in, moved the inner tubs in 1.5 inches. I wanted to keep the fold down seat. I also narrowed the rear 1.5 inches from each side. I am also going to run rear disk brakes.

Sounds like you should have plenty of room side to side, assuming the backspacing is correct on the wheels. A 295/65 is a tall tire though (about 30" if I'm remembering correctly). As famous bob said, you likely have to do something to accommodate the height by either stretching or trimming the front of the wheel arch, moving the rearend backwards, or a combination of both.

Here's an example:
Dart rear wheel openings

A little quick math shows that tire to be 22.5" high and 11.5" wide. That is considerably larger than the 225/40/17 (approx. avg.) tires a lot are using. A 225/40/17 will be about 20.5 high and about 8.75 wide.

A little quick math shows that tire to be 22.5" high and 11.5" wide. That is considerably larger than the 225/40/17 (approx. avg.) tires a lot are using. A 225/40/17 will be about 20.5 high and about 8.75 wide.
Might want to recheck your figures. 295/65/15 is 30 inches tall. 11.6 wide.

Sounds like you should have plenty of room side to side, assuming the backspacing is correct on the wheels. A 295/65 is a tall tire though (about 30" if I'm remembering correctly). As famous bob said, you likely have to do something to accommodate the height by either stretching or trimming the front of the wheel arch, moving the rearend backwards, or a combination of both.

Here's an example:
Dart rear wheel openings

I'm going to highly recommend moving the rear back in lieu of stretching the quarters. Much faster, easier and WAY WAY CHEAPER.

Silver car is stretched. Purple is moved back.

00F0F_gJMaPqYfZVV_600x450.jpg

16378_10204960777488574_6317630999826702274_n.jpg

Not sure where you're getting those numbers, but I sure hope the OP doesn't think his 295/60/15s will only be 22.5" tall.

Here's an example:
Dart rear wheel openings
**** ! I forgot to mention I moved the rear back I think an 1/2 inch. I did it some time ago that's way im not to sure. I do know it was at least an 1/2 inch

**** ! I forgot to mention I moved the rear back I think an 1/2 inch. I did it some time ago that's way im not to sure. I do know it was at least an 1/2 inch

One easy way to check is measure clearance with the tires you have now at the front wheel arch and calculate how much room you'll have with a 30" tall tire based on the clearance you currently have. I'd be willing to bet moving the rear back 1/2" won't cut it. A 30" tall tire is a tall one for sure.

One easy way to check is measure clearance with the tires you have now at the front wheel arch and calculate how much room you'll have with a 30" tall tire based on the clearance you currently have. I'd be willing to bet moving the rear back 1/2" won't cut it. A 30" tall tire is a tall one for sure.
Thanks if not I guess I will go with 275/60/15s

Not sure where you're getting those numbers, but I sure hope the OP doesn't think his 295/60/15s will only be 22.5" tall.
Duh. I feel like such a dummy. I set up a formula in Excel and forgot to put a 2 in front of the sidewall height in the formula. I was in a rush and on my way out the door earlier and CERTAINLY should have noticed that. Sincere apologies to all. Correct formula for 295-65-15 tire diameter is 2((295/25.4)*(65/100))+15. And diameter is 295/25.4. So a 295/65/15 tire is 30" high and 11.6" wide; while a 225/45/17 will be 25" by 8.9". I can't believe that I made that mistake and didn't catch it

Duh. I feel like such a dummy. I set up a formula in Excel and forgot to put a 2 in front of the sidewall height in the formula. I was in a rush and on my way out the door earlier and CERTAINLY should have noticed that. Sincere apologies to all. Correct formula for 295-65-15 tire diameter is 2((295/25.4)*(65/100))+15. And diameter is 295/25.4. So a 295/65/15 tire is 30" high and 11.6" wide; while a 225/45/17 will be 25" by 8.9". I can't believe that I made that mistake and didn't catch it
I would never move my rear end back, if u move it much, u will have a driveshaft that is too short, and the farther back u move it the less weight u have on the rear wheels. remember the first funny cars, they moved the rear end forward to get "more" weight on the rear wheels. I did use an 1/8" spacer on one side to square the rear up. and my m-t drag radials are 29 1/2" tall------jfyi.

I would never move my rear end back, if u move it much, u will have a driveshaft that is too short, and the farther back u move it the less weight u have on the rear wheels. remember the first funny cars, they moved the rear end forward to get "more" weight on the rear wheels. I did use an 1/8" spacer on one side to square the rear up. and my m-t drag radials are 29 1/2" tall------jfyi.

Driveshaft yes.

Weight transfer, in theory yes, in practice no. Trust me, tried and true, I've done it both ways and it won't affect the hookup of your car AT ALL. This is why I stretched my first car instead of moving it back. What a waste of time, money and resources. Never again. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I moved the rear back on a 65 Falcon for the same reasons. I did have some pinion angle issues to resolve, since the leaf spring is an arc, moving it back caused the pinion to point down. Just check the pinion angle before you move anything, and set it back to that when you move it with angle shims.

I moved the rear back on a 65 Falcon for the same reasons. I did have some pinion angle issues to resolve, since the leaf spring is an arc, moving it back caused the pinion to point down. Just check the pinion angle before you move anything, and set it back to that when you move it with angle shims.
I still wouldn`t move mine back, too much h.p. and need all the traction I can get. not tubbed .

I think a 30" Tall tire would look Fantastic. I would love to put a set on My Duster but that is Dreaming For now. I like a tall tire look.
32898c33.jpg

What did you do to move your rear end back 1/2?

I think a 30" Tall tire would look Fantastic. I would love to put a set on My Duster but that is Dreaming For now. I like a tall tire look.
View attachment 1715036664

What did you do to move your rear end back 1/2?

I run those same Mickey's on my other car. But the Duster got 275/50/17. The Mickey's have way too much sidewall for handling. They also don't like a lot of psi or they eat the centers out. I run them on a 15x10.

I run 25psi in the rear on my MT rubber on the street and 18 at the strip.

OK, here is what I got. Inner wheel well to inner quarter panel lip-13 inches wheel mounting surface to inner quarter lip-6 3/4 inches wheel mounting surface to leaf spring- 8 inches wheel mounting surface to inner wheel well- 6 1/4 inches.... If this all makes sense LOL

Your limiting factor for height is the front edge of the wheel arch. What's you axle centerline to front wheel arch measurement?

-
Back