2nd car opinions

-

spl440

Everybody's Fool
Reaction score
My 67 Dart is the only vehicle I have at this time other than a motorcycle. After 8 months unemployed now back to work on a 2 week on, 2 week of schedule. Only thing is it is a 10 hr drive one way. did it with the Dart this time, but would like to get another vehicle for the every 2 week work run. Have approx. $5,000 to spend, what would you recommend for a good reliable driver? Would like something that rides good, the roads in Louisiana can be rough, comfort over mileage you could say, like low to mid 20's MPG. Was interested in an early Magnum wagon but hard to get one in my price range with fewer than 140000 miles on it. Also looking into maybe a little Toyota pickup, but kind of small for a long drive.

Chrysler minivans are great vehicles and a good value.
They are excellent to travel in too.

Had a early 90's 2500 doge truck with Cummins, sold it when it was to rusted, front A-arm actually folded up under it as I was driving. But they are hard to find with under 200,000 miles or road hard and put away wet. misses can not have anything rough in the yard, other than me!

A 10hr trip in the Dart, wow! That's awesome.

You won't have any power, but you can find Toyota Camrys for reasonable prices and you'll get 30mpg. Honda Accords and Nissan Altimas are good choices as well. If it were me I'd probably opt for a Mustang Gt. Those are reasonably priced and decent on gas.

A 10hr trip in the Dart, wow! That's awesome.

You won't have any power, but you can find Toyota Camrys for reasonable prices and you'll get 30mpg. Honda Accords and Nissan Altimas are good choices as well. If it were me I'd probably opt for a Mustang Gt. Those are reasonably priced and decent on gas.

Leaving Tuesday night or Wednesday morning to head back home, so we will have to get going on your Plymouth when I get back. Mid size 4 door sounds about right for what I am looking for also. But can a good one be had for under $5,000?

I picked up a 94 Mazda 626 4 banger 5 speed for my daily commuter. Sat in my neighbors yard for 10 years before I put it back on the road. Did the basic maintenance on it and 30k miles since and she's been pretty damn reliable. Not bad for a $900 car. 30+ mpg, my advice... Find a cheap reliable beater and drive the wheels off it.

I had a little '95 Ranger pickup, 4 cyl stick was still getting 25 mpg when I sold it off at 335,000 mi.

ya gotta be tough to ride 10 hrs in it!???

Here's a nice old car.

Attachments

• 20151228_130125.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 189
I had a little '95 Ranger pickup, 4 cyl stick was still getting 25 mpg when I sold it off at 335,000 mi.

ya gotta be tough to ride 10 hrs in it!???

10 hours in the Ranger or my Dart?!!! Dart was actually pretty nice except for the 4 hours at 70mph at 3,000 rpm! pistol grip was always there for an overtake on the normal roads at 55-65 mph, that was the enjoyable part.......:burnout: And thanks Jeramus, will actually be looking at a few of those when I get back this week, if nothing comes up locally.

I drive hundreds of miles per month and the best all around car I ever had was a 2005 Honda Accord. Perfect mix of fuel economy and room. You could probably find an '03-04 in your budget easily.

From driving plenty of other stuff over the years:

Driven a few Mazda Protege's and they are super reliable but small. Same with Corolla's and Sentra's.

Small trucks ride too rough to endure a 20-hour round trip and the gas mileage isn't that great even with a 4 cyl. Full-size has worse mileage but more room.

Early 2000's Altima's and Camry's are getting cheap, but are known to have potentially expensive engine problems.

Mid-late 90's Lexus and Infiniti are pretty darn good. Pre-99 ES300 is everywhere and cheap, non-interference engine. I drove a '98 Infiniti Q45t for a year and that's a ROAD car. V8 engine, loaded, never a single problem with it. My second best car ever.

'04-07 Taurus is a good car and tough in an accident:pale:

Now for what I wouldn't buy:

One of those Mustangs. I drove Mustangs for years and they are fun on dry pavement but horrible on wet or snowy roads. The older V6 version is basically a GT with all the driving enjoyment removed.

Most domestics. Some are reliable enough but until recently domestics didn't build competitive vehicles, at least in your price range.

Any European car such as VW, Audi, BMW, Volvo, etc. The resale goes down like a rock and although they are nicer than a domestic, they all use infuriating proprietary diagnostic software that can't be analyzed by your garden-variety scan tool. Plus they can all suffer bad problems. Stay away.

No Honda Civic automatics. No Subaru's at all. No mopar 2.7L. No Caddy Northstar. No Maxima with a 5-speed automatic. No early Altima(02-04).

If you scan Craigslist, you'll find most of this junk on there in your price range, so hopefully this'll help you steer clear of the duds. If you can't hardly find something on CL chances are it's because it's a decent vehicle somebody actually wants to keep.

The GM 3800 in my 06 LaCrosse does really, really well. But the car is a bit of a disappointment in the ride department. No repairs in 99,000 Miles.Plenty of power, great mileage. Harsh ride, but very QUIET.I suppose I could change the struts.....

One of the best vehicles I ever had was a 93 Chevy Caprice Wagon. Over 4000 pounds, 350 power, and 25 MPG on the highway. I would love to have another one. It rode like a Cadillac, I took several 15 hour trips in it.

Thanks every one for the info, ended up getting a 97 Toyota t100 2wd xtra cab SR5 with only 133,000 miles. only thing it really needs are 2 back tires, and front brake rotors turned or replaced. Thanks again for all the input. :D

I'm a firm believer that everyone should own a truck of some sort. A pick up, a van, an SUV.

I prefer full sized versions, of these vehicles, but, even compact versions off you much more flexibility than just owning 2 cars.

I started driving in 1965, and within months of getting my driver's license, I learned the value of owning a vehicle capable of "working", as a 2nd vehicle.

No, of course, my crew cab is my daily driver. Since retirement I've pared down the fleet that Joyce and I have. We have two full size Pick up trucks, a short bed crew cab that serves as my daily driver, and a regular cab long bed that serves as my all purpose vehicle, Joyce has a small SUV that is her daily driver, and, of course, my Dart.

Thanks every one for the info, ended up getting a 97 Toyota t100 2wd xtra cab SR5 with only 133,000 miles. only thing it really needs are 2 back tires, and front brake rotors turned or replaced. Thanks again for all the input. :D

T100 are good little trucks. I know one person who purchased his used about 15 years ago, and it's still going strong. I also know another fella who bought one new, still has it, and it's doing just fine.

Good luck with yours. :thumbup:

-
Back