3:55 gears on the street

-
((You ask like you think I'm stupid or something.)
Every time I say something anywhere about ditching a 904 I get treated like shyt on any forum I've brought it up on.
I have a factory equipped 727 in my /6 truck and everyone and their brother has been trying to convince me to pull it and put a 904 in. That won't be happening. I've never put a 904 in where a 727 was. But I've made the swap the other way more than I can remember. Pull a 904 in favor of a 727.

I have had zero luck with 904s, even without driving like I was in a "race", they have not held up for me. They've basically been junk. I hear of people beating their cars more than I ever did and apparently not having trans trouble. I've blown more nasty 904s than I have 727s. Either they have a higher tolerance for trans trouble than me. Though I have never "built one up" from stock before. Maybe everyone else has "beefed up" 904s vs my stockers?
I've never owned any brand besides a Mopar in my years of driving but I've had lots of problems with 904s.

Last edited:
Every time I say something anywhere about ditching a 904 I get treated like shyt on any forum I've brought it up on.
I have a factory equipped 727 in my /6 truck and everyone and their brother has been trying to convince me to pull it and put a 904 in. That won't be happening. I've never put a 904 in where a 727 was. But I've made the swap the other way more than I can remember. Pull a 904 in favor of a 727.

I have had zero luck with 904s, even without driving like I was in a "race", they have not held up for me. They've basically been junk. I hear of people beating their cars more than never did and apparently not having trans trouble. I've blown more nasty 904s than I have 727s. Either they have a higher tolerance for trans trouble than me. Though I have never "built one up" from stock before. Maybe everyone else has "beefed up" 904s vs my stockers?
I've never owned any brand besides a Mopar in my years of driving but I've had lots of problems with 904s.

i wouldn't pull a 727 to put a 904 in either.. why bother if everything is there. i'm not spending the money unless i'm going for every bit of time at the track. that being said, i'm not pulling a 904 for a boat anchor 727 either.

i don't know what you are doing wrong to blow up so many 904 transmissions but you are doing something. i haven't had any issues with them.. it really doesn't take much to make them last. not like they need anything exotic in them to last in your typical street/strip car.

I have had zero luck with 904s, even without driving like I was in a "race", they have not held up for me. They've basically been junk. I hear of people beating their cars more than never did and apparently not having trans trouble. I've blown more nasty 904s than I have 727s. Either they have a higher tolerance for trans trouble than me. Though I have never "built one up" from stock before. Maybe everyone else has "beefed up" 904s vs my stockers?

First: I asked the question legitimately. I’m actually wanted to know why.

Second, what was written first in the parentheses.
“((You ask like you think I'm stupid or something.)”

Ahhhhhhhh, that answer is a “NO!”

The only problem I have ever had with a 904 was that a planetary pinion set decided to gradually eat its needle bearings and hang valves in the valve body.

In a past life I built these and other transmissions for a living, and saw many blown up 727’s.
Very few 904’s.

The 727’s usually had fried clutches, and the 904’s broke hard parts like a front band, sun gear to shell stripped, or planetary needles crunched up.

I don't know what that could be. I do fluid and filter changes regularly, and just drive them. I do like 10 over on the highway but a steady load should be the easiest on something like a trans.
Admittedly most vehicles I've had couldn't turn a tire if they wanted to, so I don't really try. I can't remember the last neutral drop I've done, or anything like that, never been on any sort of race track, I just drive em. They just don't last for me.
I have a 904 in a 78 fury, and so far it seems to be doing alright though I don't drive that one more than a couple thousand miles a year.
It does seem like it's getting tired, like piston
seals deteriorating,and I will probably just freshen that one up but even back in the 80s when late b"s were so much more plentiful I went thru 904 after 904. Then got married, had a kid and a couple of diplomats, and went thru a couple of 904s in each... Even in the "wife's car". They're junk. Put a 727 in and no more dead tranny. The one vehicle I had with a 904 that surprisingly held up well was in my 87 B250 van.

IMHO...3.55's are kinda in no-man's land. Not great for performance and too much rpm for the highway. At least that's how they are on my 71 Demon 340 that is all stock.

My other 2 cars have 4.10's...you can tell which area I care more about!!

The question is do you want to drive around or do you want to beat modern muscle?

1993 230horse V/8 auto Dakota 3.55 rear, the overdrive failed, locks up the rear tires.
Performed overdrive delete and run straight 3.55.
The truck don't care, I don't care. 2 mpg drop at 70. No drop in town. 300k and climbing.
Also have one with 3.91. Probably wouldn't work for that one.

Last edited:
The 3.55 gear didn't "lunch the overdrive" as in not caused by having 3.55 gears

The 3.55 gear didn't "lunch the overdrive" as in not caused by having 3.55 gears

Correct.
1993 230horse V/8 auto Dakota 3.55 rear, the overdrive failed, locks up the rear tires.
Performed overdrive delete and run straight 3.55.
The truck don't care, I don't care. 2 mpg drop at 70. No drop in town. 300k and climbing.
Also have one with 3.91. Probably wouldn't work for that one.

-
Back