3/8 fuel lines + 5/16 sending unit

-

hardcharger426

Reaction score
Hey Mopar Guys,

I have a 71 Duster with a 360 and a stock fuel pump.

I just put new 3/8 stainless fuel lines on it.

The sending unit is only a 5/16.

Is this going to be a problem????

Thanks,

your fuel supply is govern by the narrowest part of the line...if you want to take full advantage of the 3/8...you need to change the pickup to 3/8

Well.....not exactly. First it depends on whether you REALLY need 3/8 lines, and if it's that borderline IE that you run so much HP that you absolutely MUST have the full flow of a 3/8 line, then you should probably be running HALF inch lines

The fact is that a very short piece of 5/15 tube in a 3/8 system is not going to add a huge drop in flow rate. This has to do with friction in the hose/ tubing.

Realistically, how much HP are you figuring on?

When I first built my 66 Dart for racing(410c.i sb),I still had the stock 5/16 line and sender/mechanical pump.The car ran consistant 11.20-11.10@121mph,then dipped into the 10.80,s in the cooler weather.I now run 1/2 inch line/electric pump without much change.JMO

Hey Mopar Guys,

I have a 71 Duster with a 360 and a stock fuel pump.

I just put new 3/8 stainless fuel lines on it.

The sending unit is only a 5/16.

Is this going to be a problem????

Thanks,

Similar changes here...
installed new FineLines 3/8" fuel lines BUT also installed a new 3/8" sending unit- just need to change over fuel pump from 5/16". Figure Ive gone this far, might as well take advantage of any addtl flow.

Any suggestions on mechanical brand Fuel Pump (Holley, Carter, Airtex, Delco)?
Could I still get Mopar brand from Dodge Dealer?

Current 1976 360 engine... dont wanna go electrical.

Similar changes here...
installed new FineLines 3/8" fuel lines BUT also installed a new 3/8" sending unit- just need to change over fuel pump from 5/16". Figure Ive gone this far, might as well take advantage of any addtl flow.

Any suggestions on mechanical brand Fuel Pump (Holley, Carter, Airtex, Delco)?
Could I still get Mopar brand from Dodge Dealer?

Current 1976 360 engine... dont wanna go electrical.

Go Carter,if its available.
I would also go to a 3/8" sender.
Go 3/8" all the way to the carb.
Remember those big McDonalds straws in the 80's ?
Enough said.

I was running a Carter 6270 (opened up to 3/8" ) on my 408 equipped with a Pro Systems Pro Series 4150 Holley. The pump was always on the ragged edge of overfilling the fuel bowls and causing the carb to run rich and occassionally flood. The pressure on the Carter 6270 can get high enough (6.9 to 8.1 psi) to require a regulator. I did not want to run a regulator so I bought an Edelbrock Performer RPM Street Fuel Pumps 1720. The 1720 already has 3/8 inlet/outlet, runs at 6 psi and is rated to 600 hp. My 408 has performed much better since I made the switch. Here's the link the pump I bought: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1720/overview/make/dodge/model/dart

Any other feedback on either this Carter or Edelbrock?

Thanks for the info guys...

Attachments

• crt-m6270_w.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 434
  • edl-1720_w.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 416
Looks like the Ede pump would be great if you are using an Ede carb.
It depends on your system,and carb you are using.
Do you have a regulator ?
Holley or Edelbrock ?
What is the recommended pressure for your carb ?
Questions to ask your self.

trust me- its driven alot lately... fuel pump is one of the things I havent replaced since buying car. Fuel system new from gas tank, 3/8 sending unit, 3/8 lines, Holley carb. Experiencing some bog on initial accel. Why not complete the lineup?
but appreciate your opinion

I run that setup on my car. I bought new tank, 3/8" pickup/sending unit, stainless lines all the way forward to the Holley fuel pump and up to the carb. I ended up switching back to the stock 5/16" pickup because the sending unit on the 3/8 was crap, never read right. I have about the same HP as you and there was not change in performance. Go ahead and run it.

-
Back