3.9 V6. Anything worth keeping?

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a 98 Dakota a few months back for the ax15 transmission, the motor is blown (think it broke a rod). Before I haul it in for scrap is there anything on it worth keeping? It's a complete engine

remove TB. Not much else thats worth saving? OOh, grab timing chain tensioner if its got one as well as the ECU and the injectors as well as all the sensors. Could be a good start to an EFI project.

Will do! I'll definitely tear the timing cover off to see if it's got a tensioner. Is the timing cover and serpentine setup the same as the V8s?

Two things everyone always needs off an engine.

Starter
Alternator

No matter what. People are almost always looking for those. It's the main reason most scrap yards (around here anyways) even take them. I think that V6 is pretty common on those. And if they are common in your are you should be able to hock em online pretty easy.

Two things everyone always needs off an engine.

Starter
Alternator

No matter what. People are almost always looking for those. It's the main reason most scrap yards (around here anyways) even take them. I think that V6 is pretty common on those. And if they are common in your are you should be able to hock em online pretty easy.
Yea I'm definitely keeping the mini starter and the alternator won't take long to pull

It's a 318 with two cylinders hacked off. LOTS of things interchange with small blocks.

All the electronics will work for v8, pulleys and brackets are same as v8. damper. flywheel might work for core on reman v8 one. same with TB.

The a-body owner who is pursuing the a-500/a-518 might want a segment of that firewall and tunnel.

How about posting up a few pics? May be some body parts worth salvaging.
C

Here's some pics

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I would save balancer, flywheel, connecting rods, rockers, pushrods, timing cover, dipstick and tube and anything else that will fit a small block.

Looks like I may as well stick it in the barn with my "junk" 5.9 magnum (came from a burned truck) and my "junk" 5.9 cummins short block, to be torn apart sometime down the road and scavanged for parts

Keep that pulley system and alternator bracket. Reverse rotation water pump and the timing chain cover.

I have commercial accounts with rockauto, autozone, oriellys, and advanced... so sometimes i lose perspective on public retail costs.
I have comercial accounts with everybody too, last one I got was $48. i am sure there are cheap chinese ones but we use the made in Canada one.

-
Back