3 on tree / a903

-
I just watched your video and noticed 2 things.

First, you need to get that front lever (1st-rev) up to the neutral position or the cross-over blade will never grab it. Follow the instructions in the FSM. With the arms disconnected at the trans, it won't stay up.

Second, that small screw near the firewall needs to be tightened down. It should not be moving back and forth in the slot. That is the adjustment to take up slop in the mechanism. The inner collar is rotated to adjust clearance. IIRC, my 64 had 2 slots with screws, yours may only have one. You seem to have a lot of clearance between the various parts.

I have to leave for awhile and get back to work on my 4 speed conversion. Good luck!

I just watched your video. I noticed 2 things.

First, you need to get that front lever (1st-rev) up to the neutral position or the cross-over blade will never grab it. Follow the instructions in the FSM.

Second, that small screw near the firewall needs to be tightened down. It should not be moving back and forth in the slot. That is the adjustment to take up slop in the mechanism. The inner collar is rotated to adjust clearance. IIRC, my 64 had 2 slots with screws, yours may only have one. You seem to have a lot of clearance between the various parts.

I have to leave for awhile and get back to work on my 4 speed conversion. Good luck!
I agree. I think the adjustment is his only issue. Maybe my video showing how it works correctly will help. I have it uploading to youBOOB right now.

I will say this. When I got the car in July the dash is crushed in badly where the shifter hits it in reverse. Reverse gear always touches the dashboard plus sometimes those screws adjust that ? And the screw in the slotted hole was very loose when o got the car I tightene it down snug I loosened it today to get and get this all working snd I’m stuck . Ant Posistion I that slot a good place to start ?

See if this helps. I'll be glad to take more video or pictures of anything else you may need.

I said "steering linkage" since I was staring at the steering column, but of course I meant shift linkage. LOL

I said "steering linkage" since I was staring at the steering column, but of course I meant shift linkage. LOL
Thanks so much , this does help . Mine is broken internally I guess . Took off all linkage and forced the blade onto the 1/r arm and it would go to reverse up but not down to 1 st

Have you tried connecting the linkage to the transmission and putting it in neutral AT the column linkage? It will need to in neutral at the transmission, too. I know up to this point, you've said it was disconnected at the transmission, right?

And hay, it's not the end of the world if it is broken. If you do confirm that, get the column out and get it apart. It's not a difficult system to repair.

Last edited:
Have you tried connecting the linkage to the transmission and putting it in neutral AT the column linkage? It will need to in neutral at the transmission, too. I know up to this point, you've said it was disconnected at the transmission, right?

And hay, it's not the end of the world if it id broken. If you do confirm that, get the column out and get it apart. It's not a difficult system to repair.
Yes - linkage is off and I used a wrench to click it to neutral and started the car to verify . Second I put Linkage and arms back together on Column , leaving rods at trans loose and only tightened after forcing the to arm to be equal and forced the blade down on to the 1/r arm and it would go to r and back to n and to 2&4 now but won’t go to 1 . Took that arm loose is goes limp to ground . My column won’t move blade hooked up or not to down 1st position not matter what . This mixes with just broke my second hood just killed driving this build this year or seems :( balls

Yes - linkage is off and I used a wrench to click it to neutral and started the car to verify . Second I put Linkage and arms back together on Column , leaving rods at trans loose and only tightened after forcing the to arm to be equal and forced the blade down on to the 1/r arm and it would go to r and back to n and to 2&4 now but won’t go to 1 . Took that arm loose is goes limp to ground . My column won’t move blade hooked up or not to down 1st position not matter what . This mixes with just broke my second hood just killed driving this build this year or seems :( balls
I think at this point, I would get the column apart.

My 64 service manual makes it pretty damned clear how to tear down the column and service it. The two shift levers are supposed to be loose and "flop around" on the shift tube with the linkage disconnected, so that much is normal. Look in the steering section of your manual and see what it shows. Mine has very clear and precise pictures and text telling and showing how it works and how it comes apart.

.....now I have to tell you, I have an original CHRYSLER FIRST PRINT 1964 service manual book. I cannot STAND computer crap, because there's no telling how much gets edited (incorrectly) or just plain LEFT OUT. LOL

Reminds me of my 49 Chevy back in HS.. ok so that was 1964. Wore out 3 on the tree. It would fly out of 1st if not held down, fall out of 2nd if not holding it, and if I stopped in 3rd it would all lockup and require the raise the hood and massage the linkage deal.
But my buddy had an old Ply was it. with a hole cut in the floor and he shifted by reaching the levers.
Hope this helps!!!:thankyou:

Last year a bought all the parts to swap a three on the tree in to my auto in my 66 valaint. I had to disassemble the steering column to free every thing up and get it to be able to work properly. I have not been able to get it installed in the car. If needed I could make a video of what I have out of the car. I hope that this will be the car I teach my boys to dive in.

One of those pins should be in the slot at all times. The pins should almost be touching. It looks as if the R-1 shift lever is bent and allowing the pin to ride past the slot at the same time the 2-3 lever pin is past the slot. One pin or the other should be in the slot and both if its in neutral. It looks like you have neither in the slot. Those levers should be parallel to each other.

There is a way to put the shifter on the floor if you want. I bought a kit from Hurst called the Indy Universal floor shift 3-Speed Shifter. This kit was fairly easy to install and has everything you need to convert from 3-on-the-tree to floor shift.

upload_2021-11-7_15-57-41.png
upload_2021-11-7_15-57-41.png

-
Back