3 speed clutch linkage on 4 speed?

-

Calebnielson6

Reaction score
So I've recently gotten myself into a manual transmission swap, I am swapping a 4 speed 64-65 a833 into my originally automatic 73 dart swinger. Since 4 speed pedals and linkages are hard to come by I was wondering if I could take the pedals and the linkages out of a old 3 speed Chrysler. I don't know the specific make and model of car but I found a couple of donors in a scrap yard that could be good donor cars.
If you guys have any input or ideas it would be greatly appreciated!

It should work, but you won't have reverse. Reverse on the shifter will be a forward gear.

I forgot to mention that I have the factory shifter for the 4 speed. So all I need is clutch linkage and pedals, would it still work?
Yeah, that's need to know information. You might need to bend, lengthen or shorten the rod(s). And you'll still need a rod for reverse. I know I could make something out of it. Since I don't know your abilities, I have no idea if you can.

Well the master cylinder basically bolts to the other side of the firewall with the clutch pedal brackets, so I think you will open a can of worms using another type of pedals and brackets. I find the pedal assemblies all the time, sure they are not cheap, but why would you want to cheap out or use something not designed for something like brakes and clutches?

If I understand your question correctly, the pedals and their linkages will be similar, 3 or 4sp. Shift linkage is very different. New metal "humps" are available.

Alright so to be clear, I want to take the brake and the clutch pedal and the linkages coming off of them from a 3 on the tree car to put into my car. I already have a factory hurst shifter from a four speed and I plan on putting a floor hump in. I am not concerned about the shift linkage only the clutch linkage, sorry for the confusion.

I have an 833 ran on the column. That’s right. 4 speed on the tree. The reverse is on a cable like an old dump truck pto would be. So… R is 1, 1 is 2nd, 2nd is 3rd. 3rd is 4th. Put in N and pull lever for R

Alright so to be clear, I want to take the brake and the clutch pedal and the linkages coming off of them from a 3 on the tree car to put into my car. I already have a factory hurst shifter from a four speed and I plan on putting a floor hump in. I am not concerned about the shift linkage only the clutch linkage, sorry for the confusion.
I don't think any of the clutch linkage or pedals are different between 3 and 4 speed. Shifter linkage yes. There may be a heavy duty pedal assm. For Hemi and big block cars. Or so I gave heard.

I have an 833 ran on the column. That’s right. 4 speed on the tree. The reverse is on a cable like an old dump truck pto would be. So… R is 1, 1 is 2nd, 2nd is 3rd. 3rd is 4th. Put in N and pull lever for R
That will sure mess someone up, you should write those instruction in cursive.

The clutch pedal assembly for an A-Body comes in two flavors, standard and heavy duty. Either one will work with any kind of manual transmission set-up, it is always imperative to be clear when asking about something...

There's a lot going on in the OP's question. Forget about the trans, he has that covered. Post #12 correct on clutch pedals. From there, there are a lot of variables, what kind of pressure plate will be used? Heavy duty pedal assist spring used, or not at all. Z-bar, may need a modified one, headers? What starter? What bellhousing? Some require a different ball bracket for the Z-bar. It's all doable.

They made um from the factory. Ford had a 4 on the tree in the early 60s with a separate reverse lever under the dash.

There's a lot going on in the OP's question. Forget about the trans, he has that covered. Post #12 correct on clutch pedals. From there, there are a lot of variables, what kind of pressure plate will be used? Heavy duty pedal assist spring used, or not at all. Z-bar, may need a modified one, headers? What starter? What bellhousing? Some require a different ball bracket for the Z-bar. It's all doable.
I haven't figured out all of the fine details yet but It seems like what I'm trying to do is doable, which sounds good enough for me. Thanks guys

-
Back