3 speed tranny question

-

jose65cuda

Reaction score
Will a 3 speed floor shift tranny from a 70 duster work on a 66 dart 3 speed column shift.

is there a plate bolted on the top of the transmission to get into it to service it or is it like a 4 speed with the access on the side

If original to a floor shift Duster, it will be a side loading A230.

I bet the '66 has a top loader.

If anyone has done this swap before & retained the column shift, I have not heard about it before?

If original to a floor shift Duster, it will be a side loading A230.

I bet the '66 has a top loader.

If anyone has done this swap before & retained the column shift, I have not heard about it before?
66 Dart slant 6 bought it with out a tranny so don't know what it had originally. I am parting a 70 duster with floor shift slant 6 I was hoping I could use the tranny and retain column shift. If not I will be looking for a top loader tranny.

The floor shift car is an A230
The 66 has either an A903 or 748. Neither of those transmissions has any provision for a floor shift.
The good news is, your A230 will plug right into the older Bell Housing and take the same trans mount and drive shaft as the 66

The 66 has either an A903 or 748. Neither of those transmissions has any provision for a floor shift.
The good news is, your A230 will plug right into the older Bell Housing and take the same trans mount and drive shaft as the 66

So will the 66 column linkage work on the 70 duster tranny? Bell housing and clutch is still behind the slant 6 on my 66.

66 Dart slant 6 bought it with out a tranny so don't know what it had originally. I am parting a 70 duster with floor shift slant 6 I was hoping I could use the tranny and retain column shift. If not I will be looking for a top loader tranny.
Well,if you need a 66 top loader 3 spd transmission I have a few but I'm in NY.

valiantwagonguy
Thanks for the offer that's a bit kinda to far if you were closer I would take you up on the offer.

The A230 is a far superior transmission, and it is fully synchronized, unlike the older stuff..
To retain the column shifter;
The shift levers IIRC are slightly further apart on the 230, and perhaps a tad lower. So your shiftrods MAY not be the right lengths. The lever ratios will also be slightly different, so you will have to sync them up. This is just cut and paste work, you'll be done in a couple of hours.

The A230 is a far superior transmission, and it is fully synchronized, unlike the older stuff..
To retain the column shifter;
The shift levers IIRC are slightly further apart on the 230, and perhaps a tad lower. So your shiftrods MAY not be the right lengths. The lever ratios will also be slightly different, so you will have to sync them up. This is just cut and paste work, you'll be done in a couple of hours.

Thanks AJ I was thinking the same thing last night. thought about doing exactly what you just recommended. You guys are awesome and very knowledgeable Thanks

Good news is that it did bolt right on my 66 bell housing and the 66 linkage rods are a bit to short. Just going to extend them out a bit and a little bending and adjustment column shift should work perfect Thanks whitepunkonnitro

-
Back