30 years between runs

-
Cars from the "good old days" were running faster then they are now...what are you smoking...hey i don't like some of the rules either but they are there for a reason,EVERYONES safety if you don't want to follow them stay away from the track....as far as helmets you don't need a full-face till you get dowm to 9.99 or quicker

You should read slower,nobody said they ran faster,what is true is there were more cars which means more people that ran fast.The late seventies and early eighties was the hey day of the muscle cars,pro street ect. and it was cheap to build them and gas was good.

They didn't run 10s. They ran 12s but their stories get faster with age.

I dont hink so,Im talking the late 70s early 80s here,the sheer number of cars on the road and at the track with modified engines is probaly 3 to 1 compared to today,not to mention the age of prostreet,good gas ect.my buddy ran 9.40s in 81 with a w2 head 340 four speed in a barracuda and 340demon has 11 second timeslips from the 70 something winternationals in his 340 fourspeed demon that was basicly stock except for deep gears,headers and some tuning/blueprinting-hes got the wrinkled quarter to prove it.I dont know about where you live but the good ole boys around here didnt mess around.

And you think a full face helmet would have keep his neck from being ripped from his spinal colum ?

They didn't run 10s. They ran 12s but their stories get faster with age.

I dont hink so,Im talking the late 70s early 80s here,the sheer number of cars on the road and at the track with modified engines is probaly 3 to 1 compared to today,not to mention the age of prostreet,good gas ect.my buddy ran 9.40s in 81 with a w2 head 340 four speed in a barracuda and 340demon has 11 second timeslips from the 70 something winternationals in his 340 fourspeed demon that was basicly stock except for deep gears,headers and some tuning/blueprinting-hes got the wrinkled quarter to prove it.I dont know about where you live but the good ole boys around here didnt mess around.

A basically stock 340 running 11's...i love my 340's and have owned several but, i don't think so...

I dont know about where you live but the good ole boys around here didnt mess around.

Yeah, all of us over here at Indianapolis Raceway Park are just amateurs.

I saw a lot of modified iron rolling around back in the day, but these supposed 1980s 10 second street cars are pretty much pure myth. Now, there were a lot of guys who were absolutely positive their car would run 10s, if they ever went to the track. LOL!

I saw a lot of modified iron rolling around back in the day, but these supposed 1980s 10 second street cars are pretty much pure myth. Now, there were a lot of guys who were absolutely positive their car would run 10s, if they ever went to the track. LOL!

Lol...i hear that,everytime at at the track i overhear guys talking my car runs blah blah blah..then when it does go down the track it 3 second SLOWER then they though,always good for a laugh:toothy10::toothy10:

Back when I was running NMRA Pure Street (with a friend who drove the car), I had the race car in the garage.

Pure Street is a no index heads-up Ford class, 310 CID max, hydraulic roller cam limited to .500 lift, street type ported heads, intakes, 650 carb or EFI, stock suspension, 10" tire, 5 speed stick (T5 or Tremec) or overdrive auto trans , 3250 pounds race weight. Naturally aspirated. The car held both ends of the record that year at 10.53 at 126 mph. It was good enough to win three races and get to the final at every race that year except Joliet where we broke. LOL

Whoever came over to the house (friends of friends, plumber, cable guy, whatever) would always ask what it ran. When I told them they always proceeded to tell me about how either they or their uncle's friend's cousin had this Camaro that was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster. I had no idea how many 9 and 10 second cars there were that never showed up at the track!

I then realized what an idiot I was. It's significantly cheaper and easier to say it goes fast, than to actually do it. The rewards are apparently similar.

Live and learn!

Apparently you know it all,I apologise for not bowing to your wisdom sooner,all hail the great LXguy,shame on me for believing actual timeslips and not heeding the almighty.I knew there would be some interesting posts but I didnt realize there were guys who actually think ten second cars on the street in the 80s were myths,theres no point in even continuing this with you lol.

Lol...i hear that,everytime at at the track i overhear guys talking my car runs blah blah blah..then when it does go down the track it 3 second SLOWER then they though,always good for a laugh:toothy10::toothy10:

You crack me up,you act like theres no way anyone ran tens in the early 80s,is that beacause you only run 11s in you race car?,my guess is you could learn alot from the guys I know.I figured this would be more interesting with old stories,some educational debate ect.,not arguing with a couple guys who think they know it all.Look me up if your ever in the area and you can meet alot of these supposed liars and see their time slips,hell,maybe you will learn something that will make you go faster lol.

You crack me up,you act like theres no way anyone ran tens in the early 80s,is that beacause you only run 11s in you race car?,my guess is you could learn alot from the guys I know.I figured this would be more interesting with old stories,some educational debate ect.,not arguing with a couple guys who think they know it all.Look me up if your ever in the area and you can meet alot of these supposed liars and see their time slips,hell,maybe you will learn something that will make you go faster lol.

Correction thats 11.0's in a "street car" full interior,full exhaust...i'm willing to bet the cars you speak of are all striped down race only ...thats like comparing apples to oranges..you can't,and trust me i DON'T know it all but, have run nothing but 340s and 360 to know what they can do...And i'm willing to bet theres a LOT more cars running 10's now then there were back then..

Apparently you know it all,I apologise for not bowing to your wisdom sooner,all hail the great LXguy,shame on me for believing actual timeslips and not heeding the almighty.I knew there would be some interesting posts but I didnt realize there were guys who actually think ten second cars on the street in the 80s were myths,theres no point in even continuing this with you lol.

Didn't mean to wad any panties.

List me some of these 10 second 1980s street car combinations. I'd love to hear them.

Didn't mean to wad any panties.

List me some of these 10 second 1980s street car combinations. I'd love to hear them.

Its all good,its just suprising to me that you either werent exposed to them or dont believe they exist and its really a waste of time to argue about it on a website,not quite the same as shootin the stuff on the phone or in person.Most were big block chevys with alot of compression,solid cams and tunnel rams,but there were also alot of blower cars and a few nitrous cars.I think people forget that those speed parts have been around for along time.It was not that hard to make the horse power required to run tens,traction wasnt great which is a big contributor to cars running faster and more consitent,tire technology has greatly improved.There was a carcraft magazine article somehwere around 85 or so that listed americas top cruise spots and portland was in that top ten and it showed a few pics of the cars around here.It was not uncommon to see alot of blower cars ect. running around on an average day back then,alot more than now.

I know of three I personally saw and watched.

One was a '70 440 RT challenger I owned briefly and parted out for my own Cuda... 440", iron heads, not sure of the intake but I think it was a Weiand 7512, roller cam, race fuel, 727, 8 3/4 w/4.30s. I didnt know what I do now, so I may have not noticed more. I bought it as a roller in '90. It was gutted and lightened with 'glass fenders and hood, plus some bracket racer style holes drilled... It did have a steel cage in it, but it was a solid 10.50s car on the Goodyear 11x30 slicks. It did have the dual exhaust, but not full, it ended in front of the axle as I recall. The car was trailered to a few miles away and driven from there and had a well known pedigre, and reputation for cracking windshields.

Second was a '78 Camaro LT. mostly primer white with some odd parts. No interior but one seat and the radio laying on the trans tunnel. It was an auto, and ran a large big block with big (for the day) spray. No cage, nothing to show it was any more than a junkyard resident, with rear slicks. I knew the owner years after he had that one because my neighbor wired his next street racing car. He was known on the Pike as the Butcher.

Third was an early 70s Pinto (ok, ok...lol) that had HUGE rear Mickeys sticking out the wells, and a built 460. He was well in the 10s if it hooked.

Fourth was a good friend's 68 Mustang fastback. It would barely hit the 10s without the bottle. typically was 11 teens. But with it was a 10.29 car with slicks. That one is in Rhode Island now.

There were many more I'm sure. Some crazy cars used to come north out of NYC to race for thousands.

To show where it's gone, a fellow I know has a 95ish mustang. 351 based stroker, single large turbo, and a roll bar. Running drag radials he glides to 10.20s letting off at the 600' mark because he's not legal for faster. The car is a solid 8s car from what I've seen and hear, but he races for cash. If the car was idling next to you, you'd swear it was a 5.0l with good exhaust.

Correction thats 11.0's in a "street car" full interior,full exhaust...i'm willing to bet the cars you speak of are all striped down race only ...thats like comparing apples to oranges..you can't,and trust me i DON'T know it all but, have run nothing but 340s and 360 to know what they can do...And i'm willing to bet theres a LOT more cars running 10's now then there were back then..

I understand the difference and that is a respectable time for a full interior car with from what you say is a average build.many of the cars I saw regularly were full interior cars,one expamle was my buddies 66 chevelle that sat up like a 4x4,it had a tunnel ram 427 with a four speed and ran 10.70s.I often joked about the response that car would get at the track today,right up until it made a full pass.I just dont see the need to keep arguing over this,fell free to p.m. if you like,but for me its back to the original post of safety,whats b.s. and whats not:-D

I know of three I personally saw and watched.

One was a '70 440 RT challenger I owned briefly and parted out for my own Cuda... 440", iron heads, not sure of the intake but I think it was a Weiand 7512, roller cam, race fuel, 727, 8 3/4 w/4.30s. I didnt know what I do now, so I may have not noticed more. I bought it as a roller in '90. It was gutted and lightened with 'glass fenders and hood, plus some bracket racer style holes drilled... It did have a steel cage in it, but it was a solid 10.50s car on the Goodyear 11x30 slicks. It did have the dual exhaust, but not full, it ended in front of the axle as I recall. The car was trailered to a few miles away and driven from there and had a well known pedigre, and reputation for cracking windshields.

Second was a '78 Camaro LT. mostly primer white with some odd parts. No interior but one seat and the radio laying on the trans tunnel. It was an auto, and ran a large big block with big (for the day) spray. No cage, nothing to show it was any more than a junkyard resident, with rear slicks. I knew the owner years after he had that one because my neighbor wired his next street racing car. He was known on the Pike as the Butcher.

Third was an early 70s Pinto (ok, ok...lol) that had HUGE rear Mickeys sticking out the wells, and a built 460. He was well in the 10s if it hooked.

Fourth was a good friend's 68 Mustang fastback. It would barely hit the 10s without the bottle. typically was 11 teens. But with it was a 10.29 car with slicks. That one is in Rhode Island now.

There were many more I'm sure. Some crazy cars used to come north out of NYC to race for thousands.

To show where it's gone, a fellow I know has a 95ish mustang. 351 based stroker, single large turbo, and a roll bar. Running drag radials he glides to 10.20s letting off at the 600' mark because he's not legal for faster. The car is a solid 8s car from what I've seen and hear, but he races for cash. If the car was idling next to you, you'd swear it was a 5.0l with good exhaust.

No doubt technology has improved,especially tires,5.0s werent even on the scene back then,it was the cobraIIs lol.

Will try to keep it short but I can personally relate to going to the track after 30yrs, reasons for safety changes & 10sec. street cars in 80's. Grew up cutting my teeth on the street in the suburban Washington D.C. area in the late 70's early 80's with my 69 440 coronet that I got down to the low 12's. Used to gather on the then new dullas toll rd.for street races & hit 75/80 dragway when we could. Had about 4 or 5 10 sec. cars that I remember, none being a mopar. Had my friends small block vega, a wicked 427 powered 63 1/2 ford galaxie, a 68 or 69 vette and a bad *** 70 buick GSX that were out and about all the time. Was at 75/80 in oct. of 83 for a street wars chevy vs ford vs mopar 2 day event & did nothing out of the ordinary on my first pass but blew a front tire at about the 600' mark lost control & hit the guardrail and was ejected from the car. Broke my right femur,smashed 2 disks in my back and shattered my rt. elbow. Lucky it was not worse. I was just using stock lap belt . Did not go back to the track until last year with my cuda. I appreciate every safety measure that they now require.

Oldschoolcuda

10 second or better cars I knew about and a bunch I've forgotten
dirty ronnie 68 camaro 468
boyd 66-67 chevy II stroked SB
big bill Anglia
Junior 68-69 Vette
Hawaiians 63 Polara wagon
Moles 68 Camaro
A crap load of Joe Shermans SB Nova's, Chevelle wagon
Nig Mark and his Camaro/luv truck/vega
reds 64 Nova BB
Bottle bob Vette
A few 69 z28's
67 Fairlane GT
Half dozen 55-57 chevies
Not many mopars, too expensive to build back then

my cars or Work Mules as I called them.
68 Camaro 427 10.27
68 Camaro 396 10.65 396 don't run... LOL
64 Chevy II wagon 500 hooked in a sandbox
71 Chevelle 468 10.77

All these were in the LA area in 1982-1987. There were a bunch more int he riverside/ontario area. Some of them ran DEEP in the 9's, some ran 8's. Some on 14x32's others on 10" tires. A few ran enough n2o to knock out a stadium of people. :-D

It's SO much easier to get cars to run numbers now then back then. Tire tech, suspensions, availability of good cylinder heads. The stuff we ran would go much faster now. Some of the cars I wouldn't drive today without some serious chassis updating. That stuff was the norm back then and within the rules.

Some of the safety stuff is good, some is nothing but a money pit/grab. I agree the diaper rule makes sense, but, I think it's applied in a poor manner.

A basically stock 340 running 11's...i love my 340's and have owned several but, i don't think so...

I Have One in a 68 Barracuda with a 727 and 4.88 Gears and FULL Street Trim Through the Mufflers and Street Tires that has run 11.8001.I HAVE the Time Slips to prove it.It Is Stock X-Heads,MP Single Plane Manifold,.030 TRW Pistons,STOCK 273 Crank,Rods,Rockers,and a .590 MP Cam.

IT CAN BE DONE EASILY..

SS

Hey mopar I have you beat. I went to track this last summer and staged and raced my 69 dart.It was the 1st time since 1971 at carlsbad raceway now gone. Forgot how much fun it was couldnt sleep the night before was up at 5:30 and left for track didnt go till sunday but had car loaded on trailer thursday. Thanks Kevin.

Hey mopar I have you beat. I went to track this last summer and staged and raced my 69 dart.It was the 1st time since 1971 at carlsbad raceway now gone. Forgot how much fun it was couldnt sleep the night before was up at 5:30 and left for track didnt go till sunday but had car loaded on trailer thursday. Thanks Kevin.

NO Matter What ANYBODY says "THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT" KEVIN...Havin Fun...
I Set Here Writing this and could give a sheet less about racing right now at 0o Weather and over a Foot of Snow...BUT As soon as I go to a Swap Meet or Watch Racing or ???? I'm READY to get the Cars Out....Heck This Thread has made me HARD Already....

SS:cheers:=P~:toothy10:

SSDA, i agree totally. Now it's for the fun. Then it was, but there was more to it than just fun. I need a few other things to be worked out before I do anything more with cars other than commute. But yes, I'm excited for the new year.

Well, we must be a bunch of hicks around here, or these cars you guys are talking about wouldn't be classified as street cars in these parts.

If the only requirement for a street car is that it can physically be placed on a public street, or used in a street race, then we had lots of 10 second 80s cars here too.

If you're talking about cars that can be driven on the highway for an hour to the track, have heat, seats, lights, then the number diminishes pretty rapidly.

I Have One in a 68 Barracuda with a 727 and 4.88 Gears and FULL Street Trim Through the Mufflers and Street Tires that has run 11.8001.I HAVE the Time Slips to prove it.It Is Stock X-Heads,MP Single Plane Manifold,.030 TRW Pistons,STOCK 273 Crank,Rods,Rockers,and a .590 MP Cam.

No offense intended, but this doesn't sound basically stock to me (not that it isn't impressive). LOL!

When you say stock X heads, do you mean untouched Chrysler stock, or Super Stock stock?

What kind of 60' you get out of that thing?

Steve

Well, we must be a bunch of hicks around here, or these cars you guys are talking about wouldn't be classified as street cars in these parts.

If the only requirement for a street car is that it can physically be placed on a public street, or used in a street race, then we had lots of 10 second 80s cars here too.

If you're talking about cars that can be driven on the highway for an hour to the track, have heat, seats, lights, then the number diminishes pretty rapidly.

No offense intended, but this doesn't sound basically stock to me (not that it isn't impressive). LOL!

When you say stock X heads, do you mean untouched Chrysler stock, or Super Stock stock?

What kind of 60' you get out of that thing?

Steve

STOCK X-Heads That Have New Stainless Valves(Well Direct Connection Replacements)and a Valve Job Done and .005 Taken off the Mounting Surface(Deck)To Assure a Clean Good Seal.As a Matter Of Fact the TRW Pistons are Right Out Of a 1976 Direct Connection Book...The Converter is One Out of my HEMI SUPER STOCKER,It Has a Cheetah Manual V.Body...NO Cage,Stock Lap Belt With The Piece on the Front of the seat to REST the belt in After Your Run..And it weighs in at 3440 without My THIN Frame in it(I'm 6 5 1/2 and 280#'s).EVERYTHING on it except the carbureator is either STOCK or Mopar Performance or Direct Connection.BTW it Did run a 11.97 with the Direct Connection Manifold(LD340)on it.This IS a street car with NO STROKER,NO JUICE NO ROLLER and EVEN a STOCK Oil Pan...It has been street driven for only about 4500 Miles since I bought it in 96...It had set from when I bought it since 74..It STILL Only Has 36000 Miles on it...The Stock Thumb-Wheel Still Even Works...Oh Yea AND CLOCK...Anybody that knows the Car KNOWS it is Deadly Consistant And If the Driver is ON...It's Almost IMPOSSIBLE to Beat..I was in the Final 3 in the World Bracket Finals with it a couple years ago...I Broke out by .0021.My Buddy That Drives the Car lost in the Finals of the World Bracket Finals Also....He Broke Out By .0000001(no Kidding we went to see how he got beat and they went back that far before they could get the response)...

SS

Oh Yea....

About Cars from the 70's NOT being Streetable and Under 10 Secs..I Have a Buddy That drove his PRO-STOCKER DART/DUSTER to the Track 23 Miles because his Trailer Burned up a Wheel Bearing..It RAN 7's when he got to the track...NO NOS!!..

I Have Driven My WORLD RECORD HOLDER SS/DA HEMI Coronet Just 4 miles or so(From My Buddies Shop)when My Trailer had 2 flats.Another Time When My Buddy Had to Take My Truck/Trailer to Another Show..It Run Mid 9's And Weighs 4170#'s with me in it..

I Had Also Driven My BO29 SUPER STOCK Barracuda In The 70's(Just in the 9's) For almost 30 Miles to an Exit Off Of I-40 In NC when on the way Home From Hickory and My Truck Broke Down...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...Those Were The Days!!!!....

SS

This is the guy that posted this,not me SS.:toothy10:.The car i know of ran high 11s with a pretty basic 340 combo.He even ran 12.50s with stock manifolds and the headpipes cut and I believe 4.10s,he ran 11s with large tube headers and I believe 4.88s if I remeber right,maybe he will chime in.

-
Back