300 hp slant w/turbo... suggestion

-
Always an interesting read when you post Bill. Make me want to take the time to put a 225 together, slants are constantly being thrown to the curb for v8s. Mostly because its so much easier and faster for most to go to a small block or heavy big block. I've always liked the thought of a well thought out turbo 6 cylinder setup. If I got that far though, I would want to think of a good fuel injection method too.. I never liked the fuel distribution with a 4 barrel on a slant six because of the unequal length intake runners, and the way the carb sits sideways (at least on my offy intake).

Thanks for the kind words, 'dude. I am sure that a lot of younger guys with a lot of testosterone and not much patience, have trouble understanding my oddball mindset when it comes to the affinity I have for these slanted "wonders," but consider this: I started building "fast" cars (well, I thought they were fast...) when I was about sixteen (1954,)and, of course. they always had to be V-8's... lol I sailed through the 1950's Gasser era with an OLDS 88-powered '35 Pontiac B/Gasser, a '51 Henry J (SB Chevy-powered,) and was partners in a C/GS '50 Ford coupe with a G.M.C.-blown, Hydramatic-equipped 12 second (327 Chevy-powered) thriller. Then, in the '60s, when the Junior Stock era emerged, I built one of the first 4-speed Hydramatic-equipped, '57 Chevy sedan deliveries for H/SA ("Power Pack" 220hp 283.) Then, my Mopar era began in 1971 when I put together a 1971 340 small block from a wrecked Demon, and a 1964 Valiant V-100, 2-door sedan, 4-speed.... a REALLY fun car (and, amazingly-enough, the only car I ever owned that was never outrun!) Then came old age and what I though might be my "last gasp" effort, a 1972 Valiant that came from Ma with a 318, P/S, P/B and A/C, but was soon to receive a 360 Magnum crate motor and a Vortech supercharger (runs mid 11's at 118.)

Do we see a pattern here? Yes... they are all V-8s. FIFTY YEARS OF THEM... in a word, "BORING"!!!

My friend and fellow Mopar fanatic had much the same history as I did... a lifetime of V-8s...

One day about 5 years ago, he looked at me and I looked at him and we simultanously said, "We need a six!"

The next day, his wife found us a '64 Valiant for $700.00 in the kind of shape you'd expect a 46-year-old car to be in that had spent te last fifteen years of its life sitting under a tree, out in an otherwise, vacant field.

Dirty, totally worn out and ugly.

He (Freddie) spent hundreds of hour on sanitizing that relic, while I determined the mechanical specs I found appropriate for our little project, and stated buying parts.

I did lots of hours of research and learned a lot in a hurry. I was 71 and he was 72, so we both knew we didn't have lot of time to get this done... :disgust:

I discovered that FABO members Tom Wolfe and Ryan Peterson had both built slant sixes that seemed technologically and financially within our reach, and both made over 500 horsepower.

My decision was made when Tom offered to help us in any way he could... and, he did, in spades!.

He spent tons of time, fixing us up with some stronger (220,000psi) ARP head-studs, engineering a "group-buy" for them on the "ORG" list, built us a deep (oil) pan, made camshaft recommendations, carb and jetting recommendations, (Ryan Peterson was a big help, too!), provided ignition timing information, and saved us a whole lot of time, on many subjects.

His help made this project do-able. We basically, built a clone of the engines in his and Ryan's cars. I just hope ours (mine, now,) will run within a train-length of theirs...

Then out of the blue about a year ago, Freddie, who had contributed mightily to this project, decided to go another way, bought a 150 hp nitrous kit for his 380hp, 360 Magnum-powered '69 Dart GT, and a Paxton supercharger for his '68 Road-Runner look-alike '68 Cornet, project, and made me an offer that I could not refuse (for sole ownership of the six-cylinder car.)

So, it's all mine, now... The glory and the problems... LOL!

THAT is how I came to be a slant six freak. I came to realize that the slant six is an engine that may not have Achilles heel when it comes to a limit on how much you can boost it. But I have seen guys running 30 pounds (600 hp) and apparently, have not seen the limit, and, that's probably enough for this old man...

When it comes to V8s.... been there; done that... I just wanted to try something AA/Different...

View attachment js640_turboside.jpg

I say go for it, always nice to see something different and seeing a few of you all do these tower of power 6s why not, they are pretty stout motors just unrealized on their potential. Would be interesting to see how much power someone can squeeze out of them.

I say go for it, always nice to see something different and seeing a few of you all do these tower of power 6s why not, they are pretty stout motors just unrealized on their potential. Would be interesting to see how much power someone can squeeze out of them.

I know a couple of people who have their sights set on 30+ pounds of boost and are building their motors accordingly, so we may get to see some results in this vein before long. I am one of them... A guy in Australia (Cameron Tilley) has reported made over 600 horsepower with a boosted slant, so far, with a custom fuel injection manifold.

And, the beat goes on... :twisted:

Tilley was the 'Most powerful slant' I was referring too. 630hp I think. IIRC he's running about 20 pounds, and noticed little gain from 18-22 pounds. Every case is different though...

For are those who are doing this to the 6 cylinders blaze the trail, will start to see more and more. Heck I even thought about doing a twin set up like the supra and skylines with three cylinders per turbo running either twin 45 or 50mm trim turbos mounted underneath and staggered see what happens. Maybe another car in my future the two now will be v8 twin turbo one small block the other a big block, course both still very street worthy ��

For are those who are doing this to the 6 cylinders blaze the trail, will start to see more and more. Heck I even thought about doing a twin set up like the supra and skylines with three cylinders per turbo running either twin 45 or 50mm trim turbos mounted underneath and staggered see what happens. Maybe another car in my future the two now will be v8 twin turbo one small block the other a big block, course both still very street worthy ��

Thanks for the interest and kind comments.

Tom Wolfe and Ryan Peterson already did the homework on turboing these slant sixes; I am just following in their footsteps as well as I can, and will hope for somewhat similar results.

They both make over 500 hp with a 4bbl carb and 18 degrees of spark advance, and a stock valve train, pretty much (I didn't say cam.) On gas.

Tilley was the 'Most powerful slant' I was referring too. 630hp I think. IIRC he's running about 20 pounds, and noticed little gain from 18-22 pounds. Every case is different though...

Generally speaking, more boost equals more horsepower, but not always. Tilley's car has a unique and unusually efficient fuel injector, I think, but I wish he were on FABO to explain his take on that phenomenon.

Iam Intrigued at the thought of a turbo six. When i first kicked around the idea of what to do with my valiant, i made a pro/con list of 225 cu.in. Or V-8 swap. Was originally thinking LS swap. Lots of LS motors powering all kinds of cool cars.
All the while when people ask about the car, invariably people will also ask; "does that have a slant six?" Every one remembers these motors as chugging on long after the bodies fell apart.
I realized then, that this time around i was going to power my car with a turbo. How wild it will be when you pop the hood with a turboed slant?
Collecting parts now, as cheaply as my patience will allow, and reading this forum to learn.

Iam Intrigued at the thought of a turbo six. When i first kicked around the idea of what to do with my valiant, i made a pro/con list of 225 cu.in. Or V-8 swap. Was originally thinking LS swap. Lots of LS motors powering all kinds of cool cars.
All the while when people ask about the car, invariably people will also ask; "does that have a slant six?" Every one remembers these motors as chugging on long after the bodies fell apart.
I realized then, that this time around i was going to power my car with a turbo. How wild it will be when you pop the hood with a turboed slant?
Collecting parts now, as cheaply as my patience will allow, and reading this forum to learn.

Having been down that same road (I'd had NO experience with either a turbocharger, OR a slant six, before, ) I had to start at "ground zero," as far as learning what was what, so, I've "been there."

There is lots of help available on this forum, and if you need more information, just send me an email at [email protected] and I may be able to help.

Turbocharging a slant six is a too-well-kept secret, and is neither cheap nor easy, but, the rewards it pays make it well worth the difficulty.

There are several ways to go about this from a standpoit of what kind of performance will make you happy, in the end.

The first, most basic and cheapest method will be a punp gas motor that should give you about 275 horsepower and will run abouut like a stock 340 V8. This engine will use stock pistons and rods (cast pistons) and a stock cam and valvetrain, no intercooler and a 2bbl Holley 350cfm carb on a Super Six manifold. You might want to add a water/alky spray injector to it for insurance against detonation. This level of turbo should be limited to about 12 pounds of boost and should result in an A-Body that will run about 14-flat, or so, at about 98mph in the quarter.

The next level of performance will require forged pistons and rod (about $1,100.0) but, will make more like 325-350 horsepower on 15 pounds of boost. I have that motor in my car right now and have added a ported head with bigger valves, and an aftermarket cam, while making sure the car, itself, is as light as it can be (2,700 pounds without me in it) and am pretty happy with its performance. I use some 9" Hoosier slicks that are 9"-wide and a 2.76 final drive with a spool. It ran 12-seconds flat at 112mph the last time out, with the waste gate set on 15 pounds. The Wallace online calculator said it makes 357 horsepower (It has a Holley double-pumper 650cfm carb on an Aussiespeed Hurricane 4bbl manifold.)

From that level of peformance, the only "upgrades" that make sense are increases in the boost level, set by the waste gate.

For instance; the next time it goes to the strip, it will have the waste gate set on 20 pounds of boost, not 15. Hopefully, that should give me a low-11-second timeslip at about 118 mph.:prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer:

Ultimately, I will probably try 25 pounds of boost, if I haven't experienced some sort of engine failure before then at these increased boost levels. I am not anticipating problems, but this is uncharted waters for me, and you never know...

This turbocharged engine was NOT my idea; what I did was to "carbon copy" (clone?) the engines in two other FABO members' cars that are reliably-known to make a little over 500 horsepower. I am not smart enough to think up this stuff on my own... I am just not.:banghead:

One of those 500hp cars is a '66 Valiant that weighs 2,800 pounds and goes 10.74 at 127 mph. The other is a later model Dart and goes 11-seconds flat at 120+... heavier by about 4-500 pounds.

They were my inspiration. The owner of the Dart, Tom Wolfe (FABO member,) helped me out with tons of information about where to get parts and even spearheaded a "group-buy" of some stronger head studs rom ARP for my builld.

His valuable advice probably saved me $$$$$$$$$$$ and lots of time, searching the internet for parts I needed. He even built me a deep oil pan...

The FIRST thing you'll need to buy for this project is a wideband, data-logging Air/Fuel meter (O2 sensor.) They are not cheap, but you CANNOT do this turbo project without one. You just can't.... so, bite the bullet and research it for the best "buy." Mine came from F.A.S.T. in Memphis. I think it was about $330.00.

Here are a couple of pictures of my project. It's been an interesting activity and I would do it again in a minute! Please email me ([email protected]) with any questions...

Attachments

• 100_3664-001.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 195
  • 100_3613.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 199
  • js640_IMG_0829.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 169
  • js640_turboside.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 186
-
Back