308 heads at summit

-
I tell ya for cast iron heads being junk, I cannot find a good deal on valve guide knurling and valve seat refinishing equipment anywhere, you'd think the stuff would be cheap. I did find a valve seat stone set for 4-500, but then a knurling kit is about the same so a grand to get into knurling cast iron heads and cleaning up the seats.

Search Neway valve seat cutters if you don’t want to buy expensive machines. I still use mine occasionally. I was nebbing around on eBay as I needed some cutters for mine and I can’t believe what the drive units are selling for now. I’ll have to dust mine off and list it.

Search Neway valve seat cutters if you don’t want to buy expensive machines. I still use mine occasionally. I was nebbing around on eBay as I needed some cutters for mine and I can’t believe what the drive units are selling for now. I’ll have to dust mine off and list it.
Thanks for that their prices don't look that bad. I am a resto guy so maybe 2 thousand a year I put on my car . I am thinking a home freshened up head would last me 10-15 years. And who knows it may be a retirement gig for beer money to do up heads for other local fellas. I took machine shop years ago at trade school so I have half a clue. Its just been a while, not much demand for stock head rebuilds any more.

Last edited:
Thanks for that their prices don't look that bad. I am a resto guy so maybe 2 thousand a year I put on my car . I am thinking a home freshened up head would last me 10-15 years. And who knows it may be a retirement gig for beer money to do up heads for other local fellas. I took machine shop years ago at trade school so I have half a clue. Its just been a while, not much demand for stock head rebuilds any more.

Here’s a few pictures of some of mine that I bought used over the years. I much prefer these over dirty azz stones. With these I’m limited to 60-45-30-15-10 degree angles which has worked out great for me over the years. I really love my seat and guide machine and wish I had it years ago. At 66 years old I will never recover what I spent on it and the upgrades but honestly I don’t care. I wish my son enjoyed this work half as much as I do and he wouldn’t have had his race car sitting for over three years because of lack of money

A74EEE53-E326-45AB-AA6E-1889DD2B6988.jpeg

7E78A2E3-D15B-4062-AE00-4FF0D14B6658.jpeg

81B71177-97AC-4393-91FC-4851F2539117.jpeg

0A9B5EC6-4B15-4410-B3BB-DDA7BAF90B76.jpeg

B7214675-103E-43F2-9D68-1093CDC31A6F.jpeg

B6DF3E29-7FC3-48E5-A27E-C1C909DA54D1.jpeg

Ill have to look into it for sure. Its really getting tough to find a shop any more who does this. I dropped a set of J heads off on Dec 30 at a machine shop and haven't heard a word from the guy. i just wanted bronze guides and a touch up on the 1.88 valves and seats etc. so Im basically seeing the writing on the wall and thinking about "doing it myself" in the future basically. i also know enough folks with old cars that may need the basic freshening up service.

Here’s a few pictures of some of mine that I bought used over the years. I much prefer these over dirty azz stones. With these I’m limited to 60-45-30-15-10 degree angles which has worked out great for me over the years. I really love my seat and guide machine and wish I had it years ago. At 66 years old I will never recover what I spent on it and the upgrades but honestly I don’t care. I wish my son enjoyed this work half as much as I do and he wouldn’t have had his race car sitting for over three years because of lack of money

View attachment 1716042162

View attachment 1716042163

View attachment 1716042164

View attachment 1716042165

View attachment 1716042166

View attachment 1716042167
i got a set off ebay similer to these ant used them yet! my brother use to port heads and build engines for arringtons, but he wont touch my ol iron heads,.. might could talk him into a high end 5 angle valve job!!

Last edited:
-
Back