318 1971 Scamp

-

bill detamore

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I just replaced my power steering pump. Id the a bleed valve either on the pump or on the steering box? I have air in the system and have been told just to put miles on it and the air would work its self out. I would like to speed up the process.
Thank you.

turn it lock to lock slowly a few times...should burp it.

I would use the floor jack just enough to get the tires off the floor, start the car and gently turn the steering wheel stop to stop about a half a dozen times and call it good.

I would use the floor jack just enough to get the tires off the floor, start the car and gently turn the steering wheel stop to stop about a half a dozen times and call it good.
Okay. I put the car on a floor jack. Turns like a champ. Then I get to full lock on either side and it just screams.
Any thoughts.

Okay. I put the car on a floor jack. Turns like a champ. Then I get to full lock on either side and it just screams.
Any thoughts.
Belt loose? Never overlook the obvious. Why did you replace the pump?

Then I get to full lock on either side and it just screams.
I would say, normal. When you get to the stops the pump relief valve will open, letting high pressure bleed off instead of breaking parts and blowing hoses. Just take a drive and let us know how it operates and if it makes "screams" .

The screaming is the sound of the air bubbles storming thru the relief valve. Make it scream by bouncing it against the stops several times, then go in the other direction. Repeat a few times, with the front end elevated and the air bubbles will rush to the reservoir. Keep topping up the reservoir; if it gets too low the pump will suck air, and you will have to start over.
The oil will get hot and expand; don't be surprised if it pukes some out during the process. After about six or eight cycles, the screaming should diminish. The rest will take time. Jack her down and drive.

OOPs I missed RRRs post.

-
Back