318-340-360

-

imager

Reaction score
Trying to get a 66 Cuda that i just got to run and having trouble finding our what engine it is.

The heads are mark 3769974 which by what i find are 360 1975-1976

I do not see any numbers on the block..

Is there any other way to tell without having to pull the engine out?

The maifold is mark 318-360 so that was no help as well.

Any Help would be great..

William

On the drivers side of the engine block are a series of numbers embosed on the block, look for the 3 numbers that are so familur to you, that will be the displacement.

both, stamped small on the front drivers side just under the head.
cast into the block on drivers side of block under head, but this will be really hard to see with the motor in an a body. best bet is take a screwdriver and scrape the block just under the head. it can be hard to read. or look at the balancer, it different for a 360.

Thank ypu for all your help, what should i be looking for on the balancer?

both, stamped small on the front drivers side just under the head.
cast into the block on drivers side of block under head, but this will be really hard to see with the motor in an a body. best bet is take a screwdriver and scrape the block just under the head. it can be hard to read. or look at the balancer, it different for a 360.

Nothing on the balancer, the style just indicates internal or external balance.

The embosed numbers are easy to find it you would just look instead of wonder and ask the question. Crawl under the car and start looking.

(G's-US! )

I love this site and have received some great advice and help but some of you are so damn rude.

It might be easy for you to find or see with your years of working on mopars, but I'm in a chair and yes i can pull myself under the car but its not that easy and it take allot of time , i was just looking for some pointers or help. Sorry that i bug you so much i will not ask anything else of you.

Nothing on the balancer, the style just indicates internal or external balance.

The embosed numbers are easy to find it you would just look instead of wonder and ask the question. Crawl under the car and start looking.

(G's-US! )

above the starter motor...if you dont see the familiar numbers 318/340/360 and it just seems te be a random bunch of numbers then it is a 273

In time you will find go to people u r comfortable with some will even give you the answers you expect to hear the way you expect to hear it.. others will just let it roll but either way you will get your answer.
We have newbees that get there first car and ask many questions and no experience they are all helped but some have an attitude from the git go (you do not) but still it wears the patience of some.
He is a good guy with a ton of knowledge and means no harm, over time you too may lose some patience!
And some days just are not as good as others for us too.and all due respect (nobody new you are in a chair) and usually advice is given then the person asking runs out to car to check it out!
Ask your questions... thats what were here for and pay attention to the amount of posts the advising party has...it will give you a clue.
good luck on your project
WELCOME ,I have not met you before
Bruce B.

I love this site and have received some great advice and help but some of you are so damn rude.

Seriously, I'm rude? I never even tried to be. Thin skin? LOL. Get over it and get to looking at your car instead of sitting behind the desk.

Your in a chair. That is nice. You never made a mention of it, but now you whine about it? I get up and get out and do things. Stop bitchin about yourself.

Oh poor me...whinnne wonk... No one really cares is the bottom line. We have our own problems.

Seriously! If you only read what I said and got up and looked, all of this would have never transpired. :angryfir:

Seriously, I'm rude? I never even tried to be. Thin skin? LOL. Get over it and get to looking at your car instead of sitting behind the desk.

Your in a chair. That is nice. You never made a mention of it, but now you whine about it? I get up and get out and do things. Stop bitchin about yourself.

Oh poor me...whinnne wonk... No one really cares is the bottom line. We have our own problems.

Seriously! If you only read what I said and got up and looked, all of this would have never transpired. :angryfir:

I thought he meant wheelchair.

Even if he did, to mention it the way he did was lame.

It might be easy for you to find or see with your years of working on mopars, but I'm in a chair and yes i can pull myself under the car but its not that easy and it take allot of time , i was just looking for some pointers or help. Sorry that i bug you so much i will not ask anything else of you.

He wasn't rude. He told you where to look. Twice. Once you see what he's talkin about, you'll know. A blind man could make the numbers out they are so big. Sorry you're in a chair. That sucks. But we all have our bag of rocks to tote around. Get the chip off your shoulder and you'll find this is one of the best sites around.

You MAY be able to figure out the displacement by looking on the front of the block, just under the driver's side head. There should be some characters stamped into the block, like others have said. You may need toscrape gunk and paint off to read it. And there's no guarantee it's there or readable. If you can't tell there, you will need to read the casting numbers off of the driver's side of the block. You may be able to use mirrors and a light to see it from above. Other than that, there's no way to know externally. The damper can help narrow it down.

I just took a picture of the front of a very early 360 to show you an example.

Attachments

• IMG-20110817-00067.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 155
Fellas, this thread is a great example of why this is such a great site.
Sure there has been a little misunderstanding here.
But see the way a couple of other members jumped in and took the heat off and helped out???
Doesn't happen on all forums that I've been on.
You blokes are champions!
Keep up the good work :prayer:

the answer is above the starter motor on an early a.......Just sayin ...... :)

You can run your fingers over the block if you don't mind getting your hands dirty. Those numbers are large enough where you can tell what they are by feel.

-
Back