318 4bbl questions

-

Reaction score
So I have a stock 74 318 2bbl With dual exhaust. I want to put a 4bbl on it. I have a edlebrock street master 318 aluminum manifold and i'm trying to decide on the carb. I was thinking the 500 cfm edelbrock performer carb. Any other thoughts? will this do more harm than good because the rest of the motor is stock? Will I get anything out of this swap at all?

You can go to a 600 cfm carb if you want and you'll see a minor increase in power across the board.

I have a stock 72 w/ a 318, I put on a Weiand action plus intake with a 600 cfm Holley, put some better pipe with a decent muffler and I love it!!! Better HP? Maybe. I didn't dyno it before the swap but I don't regret one penny of it. I say go for it man. Keep the stock stuff in the garage just in case you want to go back. Thats just my 2 cents

Ran a eddy 600 for a couple of years on my daily driver 71 dart 318...and still using same carb on 73 340 duster...

I agree with the 600. It a more flexible carb in my opinion.

I like the old reliable Holley 1850, but I'm a Holley guy…….

http://www.holley.com/0-1850C.asp

Thats so tragic, I will pray for you for sure!

To the OP, the difference between the 500 and 600 will be less movement of the pedal to do the same work, your end result will end up being the same. However, the 600 will give you more room when you add cam, head mods, etc.

Street master is a decent manifold, but, since you got the top off.... Have you considered putting a slightly bigger cam in it? 260/260 ISKY/COMP would make a pretty big difference. the 248* .390 lift cam that is in a stock 318 leaves a TON on the table when you go 4bbl.

Street master is a decent manifold, but, since you got the top off.... Have you considered putting a slightly bigger cam in it? 260/260 ISKY/COMP would make a pretty big difference. the 248* .390 lift cam that is in a stock 318 leaves a TON on the table when you go 4bbl.[/kindaQUOTE]

Def thinking cam also. Just didn't know how far I wanted to go.... Never did one before so im not sure if I wanna tackle that myself

What gear ratio do you have and are your ties stock size?

If so, try a comp cams XE262H. It's power starts just off the idle and provides a nice power band.

My 318 3.21 syregrip equiped duster ran 15.14 untuned on a cold Nov. day, so, I'd bet high 14's are do-able. It was a stock 79-318 with headers and a MP ignition. Same intake and 600 Carter AFB carb.

If so, try a comp cams XE262H. It's power starts just off the idle and provides a nice power band.

My 318 3.21 syregrip equiped duster ran 15.14 untuned on a cold Nov. day, so, I'd bet high 14's are do-able. It was a stock 79-318 with headers and a MP ignition. Same intake and 600 Carter AFB carb.

Tire size I think is 255/50/15. Car is in body shop right now http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=123298 so i'd have to check to be sure and gear ratio is stock 2.76 RIGHT NOW BUT I have a suregrip 8-3/4 that I just have to change axles on and that has 3.91's in it. So "the plot thickens"

Ehhhh, I don't think I'd cam up at this point even with the 3.91's in the back

Did you type that right? 255/50/15? I ask because I have never seen that set of numbers on a tire before. It equals about a 1/3 inch of a smaller than stock tire.

I run a 600 Edelbrock on a stock internal 318. Runs fine for 7 years now.

Rumble may remember like 5 years ago, I took a stock 318, pulled the 2bbl off, put a performer, and a 600EB, with a 260/260 ISKY, tuned it, and did 14.93 in the quarter..... With a 4:10 gear one ton dually...... 14's are doable.

IMO, DON'T use the 262H, the lift is a smidge too high for the stock springs!

Ehhhh, I don't think I'd cam up at this point even with the 3.91's in the back

Did you type that right? 255/50/15? I ask because I have never seen that set of numbers on a tire before. It equals about a 1/3 inch of a smaller than stock tire.

checked a previous post in another life.... it's 245/60/15

-
Back