318 build need ideas first build

-

Mike74012

Reaction score
hello I have a 1967 318 with 727 transmission wanting to get 300-350 hp out of it I don't know where to start I just want to be able to daily drive it with an occasional pass at hopefully under 14 seconds any help will be appreciated I know nothing and the guys helping me are Chevy guys which means they also know nothing thanks in advance

You are going to want to read a couple of threads.

318willrun has a $400 318 thread. Lots of good information

my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

RustyRatRod has another 318 cheapie thread as well. All good advice.

RustyRatRod's Guide To Hot Rod Bliss

Enough with the attitude of '318s are **** and 360s are the bees knees,' the guy asked about his 318, not what motor to replace it with.

Last edited:
You could also use our search feature. I typed in "318 build" and got 14 pages of possibilities. Study up!

Trying to edit a post on my phone sucks so I'll just add it here.

You are going to also want to determine how comfortable you are with what RPM range, that will help you pick your gearing. Here is a useful tool.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

I managed to kill a 2.76 7 1/4 pegleg in about one year with the following minor things.
68 318 stock bore, (I have not checked compression due to general laziness)
Lunati Voodoo 10200701 cam.
Edelbrock performer.
600cfm cheapie summit carb.
New timing chain.
New spark plugs.
Original exhaust manifolds and single pipe.
Original 675 heads.
Crappy old points that I have been too lazy to replace but need it.

I did not beat on the car, and that 'wimpy little 318' still killed that rear end.

Would I go with that cam again? No, I would probably get the 703, but that is because I am getting 4.10 gears on my new diff, and have plans for an Offenhauser dual intake/carbs setup. Will it work as good as an RPM AirGap? I dunno, but I want to try it. I have a set of 302 heads in my closet sitting next to some Doug's D453 headers. Will I hit 300-350 rwhp? I do not know, but this is fun, and a hobby that lets me spend time with my 5 year old son. Will my 318 be the fastest car around? Not by a long shot, it will be quick though once I get the suspension tuned.

600 cfm carb or TQ
Dual plane 4bbl. Intake OE stock iron is even good
Headers into a 2-1/2 exhaust

Etc...

Totally non helpful post
Anti member post
Borders anti mopar post
Wants you to spend your money for no reason
Closet Chevy man
Bummed he couldn't find a reason to show off his 6 pack........

Jake

I will be porting my heads,going to scavenge a spare set so i can run it while im working on them.
Maybe i should hunt up another engine,to swap in.im all for horsepower on a budget. Looking forward to your progress.

Like already mentioned go find your self a 360 you'll be starting with 42 more cubic inches right off the bat..I wouldn't put 10 cents into a 318..

Leave the 318 in the Barn. Go find a 360
Love a 360, but I say get a III Gen Hemi, preferably from a wrecked Hellcat. Why mess with a 400 hp 360 when you can get 707 hp? And have FI.... :D

Like already mentioned go find your self a 360 you'll be starting with 42 more cubic inches right off the bat..I wouldn't put 10 cents into a 318..
OP didn't ask for 10 cents, they asked what they could do to their "318" to go "under 14's". Sounded like a very reasonable, achievable request to me....

Love a 360, but I say get a III Gen Hemi, preferably from a wrecked Hellcat. Why mess with a 400 hp 360 when you can get 707 hp? And have FI.... :D

Cause' like all new engines produced in the past 10 years they frigin' UGLY no style what so ever..open the hood and you got those big fat plenums,coil packs all kinds of air ducts just plain ugly..I don't care how fast they are..give me a nice ole' small block Mopar dressed accordingly..now thats style..

So daily driver and a bit over 1 HP per cubic inch is more than just some minor mods. It is quite doable but will take work and/or some $$ starting with a 318, IMHO. And understand that for typical daily driver use (tooling around town at low and mid RPM's) AND 300-350 HP, it is gonna take an engine with a decently broad torque band.

But, first things first: budget. Can you give us some idea what your budget is on this project? And if you are picking that 300-350 HP number out of the air, would a real 250 HP be OK? That would change things considerably.

For that 300-350 HP range: I would start with assuming a swap-out of the pistons to raise the compression ratio, since the lower compression of the 318's is the hardest thing to work around for both of your stated uses. It also helps with the low RPM torque, which helps to address the daily driver use without have to rev it up all the time. It will also help with fuel mileage (if that is of any concern). But that is taking apart and re-doing the bottom end and that is some mix of $$ and your time and skills, and so that may or may not be what you want to do.

Then there comes the issue of head breathing, and to get up to the 300-350 range, it is going to take quite a bit more than the stock 318 heads offer without a fair amount of porting, big valves, etc. It again depends on that mix of budget and your time and skills.

So OP, do you have the budget to spend $1330-1500 on a new set of heads? That is the easy, bolt-on way to go (well, easy relative to porting your heads and putting in bigger valves, or doing the same to another set of heads). The breathing available for that amount of $$ is gonna get you to your HP goals with some other bolt-on type mods.

If you do the pistons and the heads, then they need to be coordinated to a fair degree with the cam selection so that you end up with a reasonable parameter called DCR (dynamic compression ratio) that gets you a good torque band (for the daily driver use) and yet is easily tunable and not likely to detonate.

Try and do something actually helpful to the situation. It is not that your suggestion doesn't make sense but it doesn't make cents to the OP's pocket.
He is using what he has. This may be his only route.
ECHO... Echo.... echo....
Totally non helpful post
Anti member post
Borders anti mopar post
Wants you to spend your money for no reason

OP didn't ask for 10 cents, they asked what they could do to their "318" to go "under 14's". Sounded like a very reasonable, achievable request to me....
well, there you go, another opportunity for you to share your 318 knowledge with OP. 318canrun.
I like the idea to build what you have. If I'm starting fresh, at a minimum I'm going 470, ninety more cubes than a 360. even the 408 is a little small.

Cause' like all new engines produced in the past 10 years they frigin' UGLY no style what so ever..open the hood and you got those big fat plenums,coil packs all kinds of air ducts just plain ugly..I don't care how fast they are..give me a nice ole' small block Mopar dressed accordingly..now thats style..
LOL..... my lands! you want to help him pick his wife too? LOL......

So daily driver and a bit over 1 HP per cubic inch is more than just some minor mods. It is quite doable but will take work and/or some $$ starting with a 318, IMHO. And understand that for typical daily driver use (tooling around town at low and mid RPM's) AND 300-350 HP, it is gonna take an engine with a decently broad torque band.

But, first things first: budget. Can you give us some idea what your budget is on this project? And if you are picking that 300-350 HP number out of the air, would a real 250 HP be OK? That would change things considerably.

For that 300-350 HP range: I would start with assuming a swap-out of the pistons to raise the compression ratio, since the lower compression of the 318's is the hardest thing to work around for both of your stated uses. It also helps with the low RPM torque, which helps to address the daily driver use without have to rev it up all the time. It will also help with fuel mileage (if that is of any concern). But that is taking apart and re-doing the bottom end and that is some mix of $$ and your time and skills, and so that may or may not be what you want to do.

Then there comes the issue of head breathing, and to get up to the 300-350 range, it is going to take quite a bit more than the stock 318 heads offer without a fair amount of porting, big valves, etc. It again depends on that mix of budget and your time and skills.

So OP, do you have the budget to spend $1330-1500 on a new set of heads? That is the easy, bolt-on way to go (well, easy relative to porting your heads and putting in bigger valves, or doing the same to another set of heads). The breathing available for that amount of $$ is gonna get you to your HP goals with some other bolt-on type mods.

If you do the pistons and the heads, then they need to be coordinated to a fair degree with the cam selection so that you end up with a reasonable parameter called DCR (dynamic compression ratio) that gets you a good torque band (for the daily driver use) and yet is easily tunable and not likely to detonate.
He gave a goal, so forget the HP. He wants to run "under 14's", so a 13.85 would fit the bill. He can get there easily under a grand $$$ in the motor, and 3.23's to keep it streetable. My 499.00 dollar 318 would run high 13's if I added headers (instead of factory manifolds), after market converter (I have stock now), and 3.23's instead of 2.76's.

It is amazing how some people will just stomp a post and goal of members seeking advice and help in building what they have. Some times, building what they have is the only option there willing to invest in. And that seems to be a problem for some people.

While the suggestion of a larger engine makes sense for ease of speed, that route is an easy thing to say but it may not be so easy for the builders wallet or desire for a challenge of a smaller displacement engine.

It is amazing how some people will just stomp a post and goal of members seeking advice and help in building what they have. Some times, building what they have is the only option there willing to invest in. And that seems to be a problem for some people.

While the suggestion of a larger engine makes sense for ease of speed, that route is an easy thing to say but it may not be so easy for the builders wallet or desire for a challenge of a smaller displacement engine.
Exactly. And further more, I look at the goal. The goal speaks all. The OP has a very achievable, realistic goal, and can easily get there with his 318. Also, the OP is looking to "learn". Lot's of threads that would be useful to him here at FABO, and a couple have already been listed

He gave a goal, so forget the HP. He wants to run "under 14's", so a 13.85 would fit the bill. He can get there easily under a grand $$$ in the motor, and 3.23's to keep it streetable. My 499.00 dollar 318 would run high 13's if I added headers (instead of factory manifolds), after market converter (I have stock now), and 3.23's instead of 2.76's.
That is pretty good info; and, I think we are heading in the same direction.... helping the OP to refine his goals and working from there, AND try to see what can be done with what he has, since that is what he asked. I just don't want to presume that he does not want to spend more $$. Plus, we don't know his comfort level with doing a lot of his own work like head porting, or engine assembly. So the 'under $1k', home-built hot 318 may not work for every case.

Heck, all the varying option discussions might indeed lead to a decision to go with a 360 or 5.9....

Here's a build thats in a friends '70 dart.. '76 era "smog 318" a pair of 360 1.88/1.60 heads shaved 90 thousand(I believe) aluminum intake edelbrock 625 carb. comp .477/.480 cam dougs headers..the 2 key things full manual valve body and 3.91 gears he's gone 13.75 with this set up..gears are the key thing..

Here's a build thats in a friends '70 dart.. '76 era "smog 318" a pair of 360 1.88/1.60 heads shaved 90 thousand(I believe) aluminum intake edelbrock 625 carb. comp .477/.480 cam dougs headers..the 2 key things full manual valve body and 3.91 gears he's gone 13.75 with this set up..gears are the key thing..
Now if I could only "Like", "Agree" and click "Thanks" all at once!

Now we have a helpful post!

Now if I could only "Like", "Agree" and click "Thanks" all at once!

Now we have a helpful post!
Like this?
Like_Thank_Agree_Daisy_Duke.jpg

-
Back