318 build opinions please.

-
or you can put a huffer on it to boost compression paxton ,twin turbos,something of that sort .an still drive it . i drove a super charged new 300 5.7 . hang on to your hat the sob fly's rolled off a light put the hammer down an the tires started to fry no problem put on trc control no wheel spin but it impressed the crap out of me . im not even into the new stuff but it was a very goood ride . when i was a young man (16)we had a sb duster come into the shop with a paxton on it like a 73 ( in 1973)i want to say i dont no what kind of boost he was running but when he left the shop that day 12" slicks where not sticky enough . have thought of that car over the years too . but i always build high compression motors 12 to 1 . going to have to build one of these low compression motors an supercharge it one day . just to curb my thoughts

My mistake in building a supercharged engine was two-fold.

1. Ideally, you need to build an engine that has at LEAST 5 head-bolts around each cylinder, and...

2. Blowers and the high cylinder pressures they create can cause catastrophic engine failures IF they are ever allowed to detonate, which can be caused by a lean mixture, too much ignition spark lead, too hot a spark plug, too high a compression ratio and not enough octane.

Forged pistons can usually survive SOME short-term detonation, but cast or hypereutectic pistons just disintegrate.

SO, my problem is, I never intended to put a supercharger on my car when I built it. As a result, I have a time bomb with cast pistons, stock rods, and stock (composition), head gaskets, all of which will fail if it ever has the chance to detonate.

Knowing that, I have added an MSD Boost Retard (BoostMaster) that willl retard the spark one, two, or three degrees (adjustable by a dash-mounted knob) for every pound of boost it senses; a Snowperformance BoostCooler (alcohol/water spray) to cool the pressurized air on its way into the carburetor, and will run only on the highest octane gas I can find. I added a fuel cell to the trunk to supply the carb with race gas at the strip. See photo...

I think nitrous would have been a whole lot less trouble and a lot cheaper!

Live and learn, I guess...

Bill, in Conway, Atkansas

100_2847-2.jpg

I'll agree with everyone here that your pistons are not gonna attain your goal. Step up to Hypereutectics, get that compression up a bit. With that much cam, you should think about at least port-matching your heads. As for heads, go with the 360s milled, or try to find some swirl-port cop heads and have 'em worked. I wouldn't even think about the stock intake, I'd go with the Performer at the very least. But, I personally like the underrated Weiand and Offy stuff, just as good but usually can be found cheaper used. Also, I think you need more carb, step it up to a 750.

-
Back