318 Engine Running Like Crap - Help Needed

-

69cudaownr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm out for a drive on the highway. While driving I begin to notice a hesitation at 65 mph.
It feels to me like a failing fuel pump. I do a return trip and get the same hesitation. I then go out 2 hours later and it starts to sputter badly over 30 mph. Luckily I'm in the city and I begin to limp this ride home. It stalls twice on the way and is chugging badly. Periodically, when the clutch is in I'll get it to rev, but never under any load. Plus, it lets out one wicked backfire at one point. Its final stall is 50 yards from my house and I manage to roll it into my driveway. I believe the whole time its my fuel pump. Well I start it up tonight with a new fuel pump on it and it is running like crap. Very inconsistent idle between 500- 900, No throttle - if I give it throttle it bogs and will die on most occasions. I made a video of it running but can't get it to load. Sorry
Engine specs 318 .020 over, with 302 cast heads milled to 58cc, a Comp cam XE262, Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 1406? carb (600) that has 700 miles on it. The carb flap is open (not choking itself). New fuel pump, points distributor - new build from halifaxhops two months ago. Power brakes. Standard transmission
Any suggestions on what I should start with?

How’s the fuel filter? Junk in the needle and seats/main jets? Junk in the fuel tank and pick up screen? What’s fuel pressure?

If the video is on Google photos you can create a link and post the link.

Can you rev it up and slam the choke closed just before it stalls open up the choke plate do this several times will usually pull what ever is in the carb circuit to dislodge and pull through, all other previous points are valid also crud in the tank ,fuel filter , ignition points :popcorn:

Simple checks first as suggested above. If no good...then.

Get the engine running & up to or close to operating temp. Have air cleaner off & have a torch ready.
Turn the engine of. Look at boosters in the primary throttle bores to see if fuel is dripping from the brass tips. Dripping fuel means the carb is flooding. Could be float level, dirt in fuel system, leaking needle & seats in the carb. Unlikely to be excessive fuel pressure as these carbs withstand 10 psi, plus you had the problem with the old pump.
While looking in the pri throttle bores, activate the throttle linkage & look for two fuel spurts from the acc pump nozzle. No spurts could be fuel delivery problem or defective plunger. However, this would not cause a rough/uneven idle.

It could be a lot of things. Bad ign coil or points condenser; faulty/arcing dist rotor &/or cap; broken valve springs, wiped cam lobes.

I agree with the fuel filter. It's CHEAP to put one on and try.

See if your oil level is higher than it should be. I had a bad float that sent gas in the oil while sitting to the point it was hydro locking trying to start it .

I'm out for a drive on the highway. While driving I begin to notice a hesitation at 65 mph.
It feels to me like a failing fuel pump. I do a return trip and get the same hesitation. I then go out 2 hours later and it starts to sputter badly over 30 mph. Luckily I'm in the city and I begin to limp this ride home. It stalls twice on the way and is chugging badly. Periodically, when the clutch is in I'll get it to rev, but never under any load. Plus, it lets out one wicked backfire at one point. Its final stall is 50 yards from my house and I manage to roll it into my driveway. I believe the whole time its my fuel pump. Well I start it up tonight with a new fuel pump on it and it is running like crap. Very inconsistent idle between 500- 900, No throttle - if I give it throttle it bogs and will die on most occasions. I made a video of it running but can't get it to load. Sorry
Engine specs 318 .020 over, with 302 cast heads milled to 58cc, a Comp cam XE262, Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 1406? carb (600) that has 700 miles on it. The carb flap is open (not choking itself). New fuel pump, points distributor - new build from halifaxhops two months ago. Power brakes. Standard transmission
Any suggestions on what I should start with?

If you have changed the fuel filter and the pump, also remove the sending unit in the tank and make sure the inlet tube on the sender unit is not plugged. It should have a sock (filter )over the end. These can rot out over time ,dislodge and block the inlet. Also a good time to check fuel lines for kinks.

Something is arching to the points new one on me. Thinking paper gasket on the distributor instead of metal. Weird

distributor-points-jpg.1715985049

Hey take a pic of the inside of the cap and the top and bottom of the rotor with it off.

-
Back