318 going into my 340 71 valiant. Need help on shopping list

-

cbfazer

Reaction score
Hey gang, I'm replacing my tired 340 (internals unknown) with a recently acquired 318 that did 535hp/535trq on the engine dyno. I'm a complete noob on car carb tuning but I have some experience on the motorcycle carb variety. Torn between a sniper 2 setup and carbureted, but I DO want to at least switch to electric fuel pump. The car is currently equiped with a fuel cell and was fed by mechanical pump. On to the questions.

What is recommended for a fuel pump to supply this new noise maker and what size return line should I run?

Since new motor is ALSO internally balanced, am I good to go on the transmission end? (3 spd reverse manual 727)

If I choose to remain carbed, what carburetor should I go with? Builder recommended brawler 750 with mechanical secondaries.

I dove into a little bit on the motor mount threads and was confused on what I need to get, but I know I'll need to do something at least on one side for it to work.

What else do I need to get my hands on that I am forgetting?

20230929_133325.jpg

Passenger mounts are the same, but the drivers mount is different. Grabbed this pic from the net........Probably one of our members posted it.

1696190431503.jpeg

I'm pumped! I don't have any documentation on the 340 that's in the car, but she's definitely tired and burning oil. Should be a nice upgrade on power.
i'd say so. plus when you get bored make the old 340 a stroker too and swap it back in for a 'numbers matching' car with even more power, lol.
neil.

i'd say so. plus when you get bored make the old 340 a stroker too and swap it back in for a 'numbers matching' car with even more power, lol.
neil.
If the car is a 71 Valiant then it never came from the factory with a 340. A 318 was the top engine in a valiant.

If it’s a 71 Duster then it could be a 340 that might have the orignal 340 in it.

-
Back