318 head porting for the average joe

-
Thanks John! When I actually see how thin they are in spots, it has me wondering if I've gone too far lol.
Only the exhausts left thankfully!
Curious if the J's had as much of a ridge in the bowl as my X's?
:thumbsup:
I had some J heads that were very rusty in the waterways and they broke through even with 'mild' porting!
So I made some cutaways for myself in the style of 'WESLAKE' lol.

It was welded by a pro shop but it still went through again DOH!
The first pic shows a narrow area behind the valve stem so bee careful here...

The exhaust ports were plesently 'FAT' everywhere.:thumbsup:

View attachment 1716048054

View attachment 1716048055

View attachment 1716048056

20230210_124732.jpg

20230210_161651.jpg

The area that is most suspect on the J head is the 'kicker'!

The port on the right is stockish and the left port is maxxed out.
You only have an EIGTH of an inch to play with in this area.

BEE careful or you will deffo go through...

340 J WESLAKE piece.jpg

Being that you mentioned the magic numbers on a few things.....

And people wonder why I would rather invest in a 318 head on a 318 instead of a 360 head on a 318. Smaller valves, higher velocity, and flow numbers that equal the bigger port/valved head. Your numbers match a stock big valve 340/360 head, if not better than some.

This 318 head will out perform a 340/360 head, give snappier throttle response and mileage because the air is moving quicker to atomize the fuel for a better more complete burn for more power.

There is a point where the bigger head is better, but for most street and mild street strip 318 builds, stay with the 318 head. Purchase a few tools and learn how to do it.

When the time comes to really step up at the plate looking for some serious power, either be brave and cut away or head down to your local head porter for a "PRO" job that will make you shine.
Sorry to jump into an old thread but this is right around the question I’m trying to figure out. My 318 is running the larger valves 2.02 and 1.60. The heads were ported a bit by the previous owner. He states he “gasket matched” the heads and intake the best he could but isn’t a “pro”. I haven’t had the motor apart to closely inspect but it does seem snappier than I would have thought. My question is this after reading this thread I’m still not sure if I should go after a set of local 340X heads and start porting etc or is that not worth the squeeze with a set of worked 318s I have? Sorry if this is repetitive just learning here.

If your hot and heavy for a 340 X head. keep this in mind. they only came on a 340 from 68-71.
Just as good in my mind, Is the 360 head ( unless your having a "max, pro porting" job done) they came on every 360 until the magnum came out.........93? So 71-93 that is a much bigger pool to choose from.

I know there are people that will argue with every point i have just made!!!!!!! but generally/ basic.........This is a true statement.

Sorry to jump into an old thread but this is right around the question I’m trying to figure out. My 318 is running the larger valves 2.02 and 1.60. The heads were ported a bit by the previous owner. He states he “gasket matched” the heads and intake the best he could but isn’t a “pro”. I haven’t had the motor apart to closely inspect but it does seem snappier than I would have thought. My question is this after reading this thread I’m still not sure if I should go after a set of local 340X heads and start porting etc or is that not worth the squeeze with a set of worked 318s I have? Sorry if this is repetitive just learning here.
A lot is dependent on the build itself and the target of the build. In the quote you quoted, the statement was made from a certain perspective. Without going back and trying to figure out what perspective I was making my statement from, I’ll say that the cylinder head on top should fit the builds target.

For the most part, I have found it a plus to put what some people think as t much head on top BUT a well ported head is worth a lot of power even when it seems silly to use that much cylinder head.

There is a point of which the port becomes too big for use. Where this is, is a variable point. It’s also not just the engine but the car and the drive train behind the engine. Not enough stall, gear, to much tire, a heavy car, over cammed, too big of a carb, etc….

I don’t know what the 340 heads you’re looking at are cost wise, but, IMHO, I think probably you would be better off looking at and getting an Edelbrock cylinder head. As cast, they flow about as well as a nicely prepped and mildly ported 340/360 head.

The 318 heads ported are a lot of work and it’s something I personally would not invest time into. Ported 318 heads, done really well, will flow about what a good stock X casting will with some prep. If your 318 heads are professional ported to it’s best, they will equal a nicely worked on set of 340 heads. In other words, there always a step behind.

If you’re intent on building a 318, start a thread on it where it can be discussed at length.
What are the head casting numbers u have now? I doubt anyone would put 2.02 valves into a 318 head. Kim
I’ve done a 2.02 on a 318. It’s fine.
I would not do this the way I did it 30+ years ago! J heads with a 2.02/1.60. I’d do the Edelbrock head. It would go pretty far on a 318.

A lot is dependent on the build itself and the target of the build. In the quote you quoted, the statement was made from a certain perspective. Without going back and trying to figure out what perspective I was making my statement from, I’ll say that the cylinder head on top should fit the builds target.

For the most part, I have found it a plus to put what some people think as t much head on top BUT a well ported head is worth a lot of power even when it seems silly to use that much cylinder head.

There is a point of which the port becomes too big for use. Where this is, is a variable point. It’s also not just the engine but the car and the drive train behind the engine. Not enough stall, gear, to much tire, a heavy car, over cammed, too big of a carb, etc….

I don’t know what the 340 heads you’re looking at are cost wise, but, IMHO, I think probably you would be better off looking at and getting an Edelbrock cylinder head. As cast, they flow about as well as a nicely prepped and mildly ported 340/360 head.

The 318 heads ported are a lot of work and it’s something I personally would not invest time into. Ported 318 heads, done really well, will flow about what a good stock X casting will with some prep. If your 318 heads are professional ported to it’s best, they will equal a nicely worked on set of 340 heads. In other words, there always a step behind.

If you’re intent on building a 318, start a thread on it where it can be discussed at length.

I’ve done a 2.02 on a 318. It’s fine.
I would not do this the way I did it 30+ years ago! J heads with a 2.02/1.60. I’d do the Edelbrock head. It would go pretty far on a 318.
Thank you that’s great advice I will start a new thread in detail on the head choice That includes my car’s specifics.

Thank you that’s great advice I will start a new thread in detail on the head choice That includes my car’s specifics.
Look forward to your thread. Be as clear and concise as to your goal as possible. Many eyes will read the post and see it from a different perspective. You might even say to yourself, WTF is this guy talking about! LMAO.

But! We are all here to lend a hand and help.

Look forward to your thread. Be as clear and concise as to your goal as possible. Many eyes will read the post and see it from a different perspective. You might even say to yourself, WTF is this guy talking about! LMAO.

But! We are all here to lend a hand and help.
Thank you again! New thread is up. Tried to be as descriptive as possible. Hopefully it’s good enough to get the conversation going!

Nice thread and still giving up some interest for us iron headed folks!

The choice is '' watch rubbish on TV '' or port some throw away iron heads???:realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy:

My time is better spent living in the 60's and 70's ( in my head) with my 'any old iron' heads lol.
To run alumunium ( aluminum ) heads is cheating in my book!

We can still run 10's or even 9's with the right car and an iron Mopar engine...:thumbsup:

I know Chevy guys 'running tens' with 572ci blown Merlins at much more expense than me...:poke:

Less is more for me, less iron in my heads and more porting needed, as Harry Potter is on again.:mob:

The work on the 302 heads is interesting. Are there any other videos anywhere that goes into more porting on them. there Are 3 of them so far and I think he was doing 5?

i picked up an xe 262 cam and magnafluxed 302 heads. I don’t think the cam will perform well with the heads in their stock form. I was looking To build the engine more for torque, so A mild port would be fine.

Lets gets back to porting and platitudes for Christmas!

Dare I mention David Vizard here?
He has some interesting ideas and has done lots for us Brits.

There was a time that the 'powers to be' decreased port volumes for high speed flow.
But when that was applied the the infamous 426 hemi, it was a FLOP!

I have seen many threads on the mighty mini engine, not BMC, but the 305ci Keith Black Nascar engine.
Does this show that the port volume must match the engine capacity?

Heavily ported 1970 T/A heads and a destroked 340 crank made (maybe) 600hp...

In the era of JUST STOP OIL, I am much more interested in S/B Mopar!

For the limited time us Euro Folks have with our GAS burners, lets just have some fun.:lol::lol::lol:

Does this show that the port volume must match the engine capacity?
I think it depends on what your doing, racing in a highly competitive race class and or wanting a high tq per cid (efficiency) for a given hp. But for a weekend burn out machine and non high competition race especially where street ability compromises are an issues. It's better to make power with heads and a smaller cam than the other way around. Plus there's really only a few head options especially if not porting, so basically with a similar bottom end would you like to put a set of 318 heads on it and make 250-350 hp or a set of trick flow and make 450-550 hp.

The work on the 302 heads is interesting. Are there any other videos anywhere that goes into more porting on them. there Are 3 of them so far and I think he was doing 5?

i picked up an xe 262 cam and magnafluxed 302 heads. I don’t think the cam will perform well with the heads in their stock form. I was looking To build the engine more for torque, so A mild port would be fine.

Check out Charles Servedio’s YouTube channel.

He did a bunch of work on some 302’s and a set of open chamber heads.

Its the old problem of the better your 'drag car' is the worse your street car will be!
Big free flowing ports will be rubbish for grocery getting and gas consumption...

I have visited Cali/Florida many times in the 21st century and saw very few street driven Mopars.
Gas was $1.50 back in the early 2000's, now I guess its three times that?

Small blocks will win out over big blocks in the twilight years of V8's.
Lets just have some fun whilst we can!

Last edited:
Some people think making a river flow out of the fuel is making power..

If you know it's not all about flow numbers, state it over n over, then come n and boast of #'s.... what are you doing now..?

Me personally, I am re-doing a 440 (ICE) race engine with iron heads.
ICE automotive UK, built a iron headed 440 for my Dart back in the 80's.
It ran 9.90.s N/A on street tyres and race GAS!
I sold the car and the engine when times were tough (early 2000's), so I am doing a copy.
Rob Loreing said he would never port iron heads again (heard that before somewhere)?
But I remembered how they looked and doing a 'tongue in cheek copy'.
Raised ports approx 1/2" with a 1/2'' ali flange, lots of chemical metal and flow grooves in the floor.
Guess with the race gas it made 550hp???

In the lower picture you can see the ali flow guides Rob did for the 906 floor

Ice head with flange.jpg

Rob Loring ICE ports.JPG

Last edited:
I’m struggling to see how post 395/396 is in any way related to “318 porting for the average joe”.

I was just answering to 'Mopar official' that I was doing some 440 iron heads at the moment.

The clever guys that did this work back in the 80 and 90's won't do it anymore!
The thought of them doing a 318 head would give them a coronary lol...

What is an average JOE?
Me and hundreds of others who love iron heads.
No matter what size head and where they get fitted I'm happy to spend countless hours with a die grinder!
No one wants to do this stuff anymore, its all Trickflow this, Trickflow that...

I just done some 318 heads for a Mopar mate who actually wanted IRON!
He's not a fan of ali and I was happy to do them for him 'FREE of CHARGE!
I fitted 360 valves but he was happy with stock.

I am doing another set of 318 heads for myself with 2.00 intakes, 1.60 exhausts just for the hell of it.
Then I will go back to my beloved J-heads again , my favourite by far.
Going to braze them up and make some clone T/A heads.

JUST AN AVERAGE RETIRED JOE with time on my hands...

J head porting.jpg

I know its 50's technology but we still love our 318 poly engine here in the UK.
I'm gonna do a Hinkles 402 clone next.

Now we are talking serious 318 porting!
Not for the average Joe I'm guessing...

Ovalport poly Hinkles 426ci.jpg

Leave them 340 heads to restorer’s, grind up some 318-360 heads or go big with the Eddie’s.

-
Back