318 heads on a 360

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
I have a good set of 318 heads, will they work on my 360,will they kill alot of power form my 360.The reason I ask is my engine builder says my 340 J heads needs a compleat rebuild new valves,guides,seats everything.My 360 is not a big power engine almost stock.Dam I still need a rearend and TC so realy there is not much money left to spend on my heads for now.What you all think.

yes they can be used...BUT

the smaller chambers will raise the compression ratio and the 360 will probably be out of breath by 4000 rpm because of the small valves and small ports...

In an almost stock build I'd say they are fine. You'll have the huge port mismatch, and they will run out of steam pretty early in the rpm band. I know like in my truck.. I dont think I've ever seen the tach go past 3500. So the other issues might not be a big deal. Plus, free an healthy is goign to be better than compromised and worn but larger. All depends on your use really.

The 360 I'm using had 318 heads on it when I bought it. The dude told me he thought it was wore out. The only thing wrong was 318 heads. Motor had no power. I wouldn't do it simply because it is a power killer. No benefits at all. Jmho

I just took a set of 360 heads off my 340. They are in great shape . I would like to get $250 . I'm not a scammer or a parts guy I just hapened to be reading your forum. I'm 40 minutes west of Ottawa.

Cheers Jon

casting #3671587 6

I have done it and it works fine,although they dont have the port volume of the 360 heads they flow well enough to make a fair amount of power.A mildly built 318 with stock heads in an a body will run mid to low 14s,the same 318 heads on a similarly built 360 will do the same or in most cases a little better,just at a lower shift point and with more torque.

Some good and bad Thoughts on the 318 head just figured could be a low cost to me now.I am not sure witch way to go .Get heads that are ready,or spent like 500 to rebuild thease.

I have a good set of 318 heads, will they work on my 360,will they kill alot of power form my 360.The reason I ask is my engine builder says my 340 J heads needs a compleat rebuild new valves,guides,seats everything.My 360 is not a big power engine almost stock.Dam I still need a rearend and TC so realy there is not much money left to spend on my heads for now.What you all think.
I have 318 heads on mu 360 mild street cam bored 60 over runs 5200 rpm easy with pleanty of power.

Would you be the one changing the heads at a later date? If so go for it. If you are paying someone to install the heads then put the 360's on the first time.

I have 318 heads on mu 360 mild street cam bored 60 over runs 5200 rpm easy with pleanty of power.

-
Back