318 mods?

-

Alaskan_Dart

Mopars are an addiction
Reaction score
I now have a 318 in my car only temp. My issue, more motors than I know what to do with right now and not enough cars.
trying to make the car drivable again. 383 set up will go in this winter. 340/377 stroker I had I sold. 408 sold also. 383 is a 396 now.
318 is stock somewhat, 340 top end, anyone ever build a mild 318 from this combo? Looking to make it a driver w/some H.P.
I know, its a 318 still, but.....
I have 340 H.P. manifolds but they won't bolt in correctly due to oil filter location and power steering hose is in the way.
What is needed for this to be corrected? Do 340's w/power steering have different lines or?
Thanks Mark

The 318 isn't a bad engine, just small. The 18 really doesn't like the top end. The problem right now is I need to know the comp ratio and the rear gear, trans type and stall if applicable. Also, are the heads equiped with 2.02's.

On the oil filter, you'll need the 340's oil filter adapter to clear.
Why the P/S lines are in the way is a mystery to me. There on oposite sides of the engine right?

I found out why the P/S lines were in the way. Besides being tired, they were bent upwards is all. The 340 stuff I had is all gone, someone told me to use a 360 oil filter mount set up. No luck finding that around here.
I did get some 318 heads today rebuilt and factory manifolds.
Comp. is 9.2 to 1 Cam is Crane .474 - 268 duro.
Gears are 3.55 trans stock 727 w/a 2200 stall.

Thanks for the info. guys.

Edit: the 340 heads I have are '68 J style and not for sale.

Make sure you degree the cam in. Mine was 2 degrees retarted straight up. 318's like 3 degrees advanced past DTC. Advancing the cam really helps bottom end torque on this engine.

Check this out: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=28974

Hey Rob ... have you heard from Bobby lately?

No, I have gotten a bit busy with the summer vactioning kids and the cars floor pans. My computer crashed and I lost alot. I just have not reinstalled the PM things that I would often have a quick chat with Bobby on. I'll call him later.

71b5duster, good advice. Actuall amount of advance can change per engine and cam, but 4*'s is the norm.

Alaskan_Dart Nice combo. It shold do well. A real nice streetable rider I think.

Thanks for the tip in dailing in the motor. I have 6 engines and only one car. I am always looking for other cars to put a motor in but no luck yet.
Trying to get it ready for paint also before motor install. We have a lift at work, so I'll lower the car onto the K member w/motor when the time comes anyways.

Thanks again.........Mark

-
Back