318 MRL Stroker

-
Just remove the block off plate, should be a eccentric in there, and for general street use, I find a std parts store replacement pump to work just fine.
And for safety's sake, check the fuel pressure and regulate it to 5# for the street.

tried a few different auto supplies mech pumps , ended up with a summit carter hi-perf # m6270 . same one mopar use to sell . and it had 1/4 pipe threads for your brass fittings , no more soldered fitting n hose barb . and its screwed together not crimped .

I put a order for the Carter m6270

Thank you for the info

I for one, am willing to answer any questions you have to help you get this thing in your car. And I asked what flywheel you got, because I was concerned about the ballance... a LA360 and magnum 360 are both external ballance, but by a DIFFERENT amount....what was the ballance job done with? You want to know this BEFORE putting the engine in and living with vibration

IMG_1463.PNG
I for one, am willing to answer any questions you have to help you get this thing in your car. And I asked what flywheel you got, because I was concerned about the ballance... a LA360 and magnum 360 are both external ballance, but by a DIFFERENT amount....what was the ballance job done with? You want to know this BEFORE putting the engine in and living with vibration

MOPAR Flywheel it has 130 Teeth,... for the 10.5" Clutch

For use on pass cars, & pickups,.. behind 360 & 5.9 Magnum Dodges, Correct for External balance engines.

Picture #1 shows the correct balance,...For
it to work with a 360 & 5.9 external balance Engines.,,

View attachment 1715062063

MOPAR Flywheel it has 130 Teeth,... for the 10.5" Clutch

For use on pass cars, & pickups,.. behind 360 & 5.9 Magnum Dodges, Correct for External balance engines.

Picture #1 shows the correct balance,...For
it to work with a 360 & 5.9 external balance Engines.,,

Showed this to Mike he said that's the flywheel needed he said 143 or 130t what ever the tooth count is with my set up I have now

Ok, but magnum and LA is a different amount of offset weight, they are not the same

Definitely run a fuel regulator those fuel pump kick out 7+# I installed one on my MRL 360 delivered last fall, but I got rid of the Summit 750. I didn't care for the Holley/Autolite copy on Air Gap style intake (same as yours on the LA). I installed an Edelbrock carb, which does make as much power but it's a weekend Cruiser. The Summit Carb was pig rich blogging/sputtering at 15-20 mph. AC Plugs all carbon fouled. I dumped those plugs for NGK. Ran much better and tweaking the carb alittle richer. Edelbrock' should their tune better, but don't make as much as a Holley. I am rebuilding tuning the Carter 625 which will go on it.

I am still fighting through some gremlins since the install last fall, but getting there. Trans leak and a heater core.

Good luck with your install. I have been pleased/happy with my MRL build, but need to change the oil filter adapter fitting it's end threads are booger'd up. I noticed this after the first oil change. Summit Carb was diluting the oil. I have picked up a new adapter.

Last edited:
Definitely run a fuel regulator those fuel pump kick out 7+# I installed one on my MRL 360 delivered last fall, but I got rid of the Summit 750. I didn't care for the Holley/Autolite copy on Air Gap style intake (same as yours on the LA). I installed an Edelbrock carb, which does make as much power but it's a weekend Cruiser. The Summit Carb was pig rich blogging/sputtering at 15-20 mph. AC Plugs all carbon fouled. I dumped those plugs for NGK. Ran much better and tweaking the carb alittle richer. Edelbrock' should their tune better, but don't make as much as a Holley. I am rebuilding tuning the Carter 625 which will go on it.

I am still fighting through some gremlins since the install last fall, but getting there. Trans leak and a heater core.

Good luck with your install. I have been pleased/happy with my MRL build, but need to change the oil filter adapter fitting it's end threads are booger'd up. I noticed this after the first oil change. Summit Carb was diluting the oil. I have picked up a new adapter.

Got a 600 proform that Mike sent with the motor, and I got the Carter fuel pump that was recommended to run....

suggestions on a fuel regulator ?

I will get some NGK plugs also got a part number for those ?

Any other suggestions for other parts ?

Must appreciated help on the info !!!

Got a 600 proform that Mike sent with the motor, and I got the Carter fuel pump that was recommended to run....

suggestions on a fuel regulator ?

I will get some NGK plugs also got a part number for those ?

Any other suggestions for other parts ?

Must appreciated help on the info !!!

I got a Holley regulator p/n 12-840 cause it matched up with my Mopar Performance valve covers and air cleaner.

If you don't want to spend that much, Summit has a quality regulator that I believe is made by Holley. P/N sum-3032. Both are adjustable 4.5 - 9#. I mounted mine on the inner fender well by the alternator and ran 3/8" steel line from the Carter fuel pump to the regulator. Try to use as much steel line as possible. I believe you will need a adapter as the output on the pump is 5/16"

Sorry, I don't know anything about Proform carbs, but they all follow the same principles :)

I just used the stock NGKs. Oreillys has them in stock or RockAuto. P/N 2635 GR4 gapped at .035 with the FBO ignition probably can gap at .040, but I used .035. I noticed a big difference with the NGK over the ACs that came with the engine.

I had to fabricate a throttle return spring as the intake has dual mounts for Magnum/LA but mine is an LA, which you shouldn't have that issue.

IMG_1467.PNG
I got a Holley regulator p/n 12-840 cause it matched up with my Mopar Performance valve covers and air cleaner.

If you don't want to spend that much, Summit has a quality regulator that I believe is made by Holley. P/N sum-3032. Both are adjustable 4.5 - 9#. I mounted mine on the inner fender well by the alternator and ran 3/8" steel line from the Carter fuel pump to the regulator. Try to use as much steel line as possible. I believe you will need a adapter as the output on the pump is 5/16"

Sorry, I don't know anything about Proform carbs, but they all follow the same principles :)

I just used the stock NGKs. Oreillys has them in stock or RockAuto. P/N 2635 GR4 gapped at .035 with the FBO ignition probably can gap at .040, but I used .035. I noticed a big difference with the NGK over the ACs that came with the engine.

I had to fabricate a throttle return spring as the intake has dual mounts for Magnum/LA but mine is an LA, which you shouldn't have that issue.

Ordered up the Holley regulator and the NGK's

I will source 3/8 steel lines and any adaptors after the Holliday.

I'll be scavenging a bunch of parts off the motor in my car now like the MSD distributor, throttle linkage and thermostat housing and fittings

Ok....

I have a chance to pick up a all original 340 six pack set-up.
All rebuilt and worked carbs from proform. And all the complete linkage.

I'd really like to put it on my MRL motor

Some input please... childhood dream to have a 6 pack set up

Thanks

6-Pacs are nice and all, but;
IMO, your engine wants a DP carb, or a TQ set-up
The DP will let you open the secondaries any time, instantly, to deliver all those 436 ftlbs to instantly to annihilate those 255s at any speed up to....say 50 mph, or more.
The TQ would be only slightly slower, but offers better response on the primaries, and the possibility of much better fuel-economy on the hiway.Unfortunately,tuning kits for it are NLA, so sometimes you have to get creative.
That 600 will be fine most of the time.
The 6-pac can be made to perform, but it's a lot of work. But they sure look nice.
That MRL engine will want a minimum of 700cfm; my 360 didn't wake up until I put a 750 on it. I'm pretty sure it could use still more.

Another thing is the manifolds under those carbs. Many tests have shown that the 6-pac manifold leaves a lot of power under the table.
And tests have shown the AG to be an excellent all round performer, and it does seem to keep the carb cooler. I have no issues with boiling fuel, on my 750DP/AG.
And I run no regulator on my P4007040 pump.
I too run a 3/8 line, but it is 1-piece from pump to dual-feed.
Contrary to convention, I run a large-canister EFI filter back at the tank, and the pump has no problem sucking thru it. BTW it's been on there since 99 and has over 125,000 miles on it; so Ima thinking of replacing it.

Oh yeah; that flywheel in post #33 does not look at all like mine; a 1971 360LA; the balance holes are all different.I'm not saying it is wrong, just that it looks wrong.

Last edited:
I'd put it right on there and run it. That's a pretty "mild" engine, you may have to tune a little, no big deal. The WOW factor is well worth it in my opinion. Go for it!

I put a kit on for a guy, made up from several sources. Up here, as I recall, it was over $4Gs. But he was a business owner and it meant almost nothing to him. He got it done for bragging rights.It became a showpiece. The hood was extra.

Six Pack won't be inexpensive I guess.

It's a score for sure... all original 1971 six pack air cleaner, top and base "mint" with all 3 carbs rebuilt and new promax fuel block on the center Carb.

Last edited:
71 TQ and manifold, about $100;more power, more torque, more mpgs. Less hassles ,less trouble to tune, and but less car-show appeal (if you're into that). Infinitely easier to sell.
Jus saying......
And the best for last; the TQ moan. The fully adjustable with the foot-feeder, ever loved,craved, and adored; the TQ moan. Ok so, I really like it.Maybe it's just me...................lol

Isn't the 71 TQ one year only and better off with the more common 72 and up?

Isn't the 71 TQ one year only and better off with the more common 72 and up?
Some would say so
the large primary 440 ones were factory rated 850cfm. But the 1.5s were not far behind. I don't care which one I bolt on, or what I bolt it onto. It's the moan that does it for me,lol. Sweetest sound in the history of the world,lol.
And back in the day,NHRA rated 340s with TQs 15 hp higher than the AVSs they replaced, which IIRC were rated at 580cfm.
But just look at that big TQ. It looks mean just sitting on the shelf. It's calling, calling; "try me,I dare you". It's got BIG personality. And then when you set it on the intake, ATTITUDE. And then when it's sitting on the engine, it's melt-my-heart BEE-U-T-FUL! And then when you finally start her up and tickle the go-pedal, that's when she comes alive; HO-LEE...........

-
Back