318 Oil Filter ??

-

timatoe

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a 318 I got from a guy putting a 440 into his Cuda. Anyhow taking a look at it today after putting the Schumacher mounts on it looks like the oil filter will be hitting the firewall. Or at least will be very close to the wall.

Is this an issue? Here's a pic of what I'm working with.

P7290045.jpg

I've also got a second 318 from a truck that has the filter basically hanging straight down, so I've got an alternate I suppose, if they can be swapped.

I doubt it hits but if it does you can loosen the large mounting bolt for the adapter you can spin it to where it clears. Just be weary that spinning it may ruin the gaskets so you may need to replace them. Another option if it hits is you could also use a shorter oil filter and leave the adapter where it is.

its below where the firewall kicks back into the floor, you will need a shorter bolt for that mount most times

I don't even use the 90 on my 67. Use the "straight out" filter mount (headers) and a 51068 Wix

Part number for the shortie filter is:

NAPA Gold: 1068
WIX: 51068

I think this is probably the easiest option. I measured it and I get 19 1/2" from the edge of the mount to the back of the filter and 19" from the mount to the firewall.

If I do need to spin it..... does anyone have a part number for the gasket for the adapter?

I don't even use the 90 on my 67. Use the "straight out" filter mount (headers) and a 51068 Wix

I'll go this route if it's still too close. I think I can swap out the pieces with the truck engine if need be.

If I do need to spin it..... does anyone have a part number for the gasket for the adapter?

I'll go this route if it's still too close. I think I can swap out the pieces with the truck engine if need be.

Mopar # P5249320 is the # for the gasket package. It won't be too close. Never is on anyone elses. I used to have that adapter on mine with headers and with it clocked right I had no trouble getting the longest factory type filter (Wix 51515 or equivalent) on and off.

If you need it and have trouble finding the gasket pack here's a link to Mancini's

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mopoilfilads.html

-
Back