318 Pistons: baffled

-
and if u saw the pistons u suggested need different rods and maybe a rebalance, and are really helpful, u would have told the OP that your suggested pistons would not hook right up to his rods

So......what's your point? Do you want to argue with ME? Start a new thread. This doesn't help the OP at all.

I appreciate the help guys. I'd stay with full floating, just because its an economy, stockish build. a little more cam and a better intake. still stock manifolds (early A body :( you know how that goes).

I just need to get the sizing right. I'll find out tomorrow. def. not standard size though.

I am afraid that will limit your choices greatly. I don't know of a 318 piston available that's a full floating......unless it's a performance KB piston and those are not cheap.

I looked on the United Engine web site and they do not offer a stock cast piston that's a floater. You may need to get your new pistons modified. It's not a hard thing to do if the shop has the tooling and know how. Problem is, it will add probably enough cost that you could have swapped rods out.

Not sure which site that is, but the Silvolite 1266 is a floating pin 318 cast piston. 1.741" CH. The Summit description says pressed pin, but that is because it can be pressed into press-fit rods as an alternative. But you can see the groove in the Summit pix, and the Silvolite catalog clearly states it as being a floating pin piston.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/uem-1266-std

They are also available coated. Look for part number 1266C.

If the OP is really lucky he might have a set of the old school pistons (1.77 Compression height). This was the stock compression height on the '69 318 with 9:1 CR.

treblig

ENGINETECH P15168 Info
Flat top w/ 4 valve reliefs; 1.741" CH; Use 39158 rings $8.90 a piston - set of 8 req/

I bought a full set and std. iron rings. Bore are good...just a quick honing needed.
again, stock perf. rebuild.

On my originals: only have 7, 1 damaged. :( thats why I'm going with a new set.

Swing69, how did those pistons work out?

Have you installed them yet? And have you measured how far in the hole they are on your stock 318 block?

I'll be getting new pistons for my teen soon and was wondering how they worked out

Wiseco makes a nice 318 piston....

vbpgimage.php

Those pistons
Sealed Power Cast Pistons 526AP

are what I put in my Teener. New rods no big deal.

-
Back