318 silent chain

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I am in the process of tearing down a 1974 318 for a rebuild/ mild hop up. I pulled the timing cover, and there was a factory chain setup with an aluminum cam gear with nylon teeth moulded to it.

Ford did this about the same time, they called it a silent chain. This one had chipped teeth. Obviously i plan on using a double roller chain and sprockets, and a magnum chain tensioner.

But did the nylon setup really keep it that quiet. Somehow i doubt it. Just seems like a cheap **** way to do something if you ask me. Thought only Ford was stupid enough to make cam gears with nylon teeth.

And no the slant 6 dizzy gear dont count.

Matt

The term "silent" comes from the chain itself, not the sprocket. They are not "gears.". Yep LOL they are really QUIET, alongside a country road far from nowhere in the middle of the night after they've slipped

Also, the nylon chips off and can STOP an oil pump. Guess what happens next?

Either the pump drive shears (if you are lucky) or you break the cam gear.

My old beater "skud missle" was a victim I bought cheap.

they all had them! Never any good on dissambly, makes me wonder how the engine ran like that!

I bought a really nice 71Demon318 one time,cheap, cause it sorta quit running. The only way it would stay running was WOT and crank the timing til it lit. I knew what was wrong. He didnt. He just wanted to be rid of that POS.I was happy to take it off his hands.

I never thought much of that set-up either. Of all the places to make quiet, why that? I mean, if you were to put two identical teeners running side by side, one with the silent and with the roaring.......
And then,theres the silent air filter housings......
Those were the days.

I am in the process of tearing down a 1974 318 for a rebuild/ mild hop up.
not sure what your cam plans are but I'd get a 3 keyway set & adv the cam 4 deg then dial in the dist, initial/total/springs/vac can IN ORDER

I don't like those stock "silent" chains.

Double roller all the way for me, in fact I like true roller double roller. I'll put up with the "noise" for strength and reliability...

I don't like those stock "silent" chains.

Double roller all the way for me, in fact I like true roller double roller. I'll put up with the "noise" for strength and reliability...

X2. After seeing what the timing chain and cam sprocket looked like on my old 318 I knew that I didn't want to put one of those back in. I went with a true roller and I'm stickin' with em.

X2. After seeing what the timing chain and cam sprocket looked like on my old 318 I knew that I didn't want to put one of those back in. I went with a true roller and I'm stickin' with em.

Of course. Is there any other choice? :burnout:MT

Actually a silent chain with all metal sprockets is NOT all that bad.

I believe that "Morse chain" and "silent chain" are pretty much the same thing.

My '71 jumped time cause of broken teeth on the OEM. Same result, stuck on the side of the road.

If I wanted a silent motor, I would buy a Lexus! noise, in the right places, at the right levels, are whats fast cars are about! O and SPEED! MT

-
Back