318 tunnel ram street friendly?

-
im not blaming my dad at all your putting words in my mouth. all i go by what he says. well i know its nobodies fault but mine. why do you think im not fixing it and just working on the dart?

I'll apologize to anyone if I'm wrong, even someone I don't know personally.
I also will listen to and support the younger members of this hobby. Provided that they are willing to listen and learn.

im sure it would, i guess your right. but dad always told me (mopar65) to check it at least once a month if your cars reliable and to change it every 2 months or 10,000 miles whichever comes first. and i thought my car was relaible. but i guess not

Isn't it 3 months/3500 miles?

Here is a link to a wiring harness that would allow you to use those fans.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/...hp?SearchField=30103&SearchAll=Street Machine

Typical electric motors run one way if hooked up normally, and the other direction if you cross the wires. So you could mount them outside the RAD as "pushers", or inside the RAD as traditional "Pullers". Just make sure however you mount/wire them the air is moving the way you want, or switch the wires.

You could do it for cheaper, but with more work, and sometimes "kits" are a good way to start until you get the hang of stuff. Do a search in the elec/wiring stuff and I am sure somebody has a wiring diagram or ideas about how to do it if you dont want a kit.

JOE

Tunnel rams are great for that 80's poser look (in my humble opinion). My roommate in the Army had a tunnel ram on his 69 Mustang. He never had to worry about driving, especially if there was a chance of rain. Eventually he bought a Performer RPM, a 3310 Holley and a new hood. His car ran much better (personal observation, which contributed to the basis of my opinion).

Take a trip down to your local drag strip and see what others are running. Ask questions of those with similar setups, who run at the level you want to run, and you might just learn something.

No lack of grown ups on this site. They can be easily identified as those who begin a sentence with a capital letter, attempt grammar and punctuation, and treat others with some measure of expect. Any advice you get on a forum such as this is FREE, take it for what it is worth. If you chose to ask for opinions, you are likely to receive many diverse answers. Quite possibly none of the opinions offered will be what you thought you wanted to hear. Ad hominem attacks and petulant rants are no hallmarks of maturity much less good manners. Act like an adult and you are more likely to be treated as one.

I know you don't see it but I am trying to offer the best help I can.

What I am saying is, form a plan that fits your budget and skill level. Get the car running. Keep it simple. You can go for big stuff later.

Its almost like you have 3 hot chicks, a red head, a blond and a brunet all telling you they want you…… The way you are going at things you will end up going home alone because you can't decide.

Once you get some experience you will realize the correct choice is taking all three, disappointing 2, falling asleep and bragging about it to your buddies for the rest of your life.

Its almost like you have 3 hot chicks, a red head, a blond and a brunet all telling you they want you…… The way you are going at things you will end up going home alone because you can't decide.

Once you get some experience you will realize the correct choice is taking all three, disappointing 2, falling asleep and bragging about it to your buddies for the rest of your life.
Are you speaking from experience?:toothy10:

I disagree; Go with the Red head, LOL. They can be alot of work because they are so head strong but the rewards will be Great!

Chuck

Now back to the regular scheduled program.

Being someone that runs a tunnel ram (as you can tell by my avatar) You definitely have to have the motor to make it work. When I was young and in Highschool I use to laugh at the stock motored guys with their tunnel ram because they truely were slower with it than without it. The reason I decided to run one is more for the challenge. I saw so may cars run horrible with them I wondered if a car could be made to run well with one.

Tunnel rams on stock motor are just another example of bling. They are about looks but no performance advantage. No different that the huge wings you see on front wheel drive cars for "traction"? on the rear tires.

Every so often I think about my induction system and wonder if maybe I am leaving something on the table as far as performance. My tunnel ram is an old one and intake manifolds have made huge strides in performance gains since my tunnel ram was designed.

I am most likely this year going to run a single four package just to see if I really am doing the right thing running my T Ram. This will be my gauge to see if my T Ram really is working right or not.

My advice is make a statement with a solid foundation and not with bling. Bling just gets you laughed at, usually behind your back.

Chuck

Tunnel rams are great for that 80's poser look (in my humble opinion). My roommate in the Army had a tunnel ram on his 69 Mustang. He never had to worry about driving, especially if there was a chance of rain. Eventually he bought a Performer RPM, a 3310 Holley and a new hood. His car ran much better (personal observation, which contributed to the basis of my opinion).

Take a trip down to your local drag strip and see what others are running. Ask questions of those with similar setups, who run at the level you want to run, and you might just learn something.

No lack of grown ups on this site. They can be easily identified as those who begin a sentence with a capital letter, attempt grammar and punctuation, and treat others with some measure of expect. Any advice you get on a forum such as this is FREE, take it for what it is worth. If you chose to ask for opinions, you are likely to receive many diverse answers. Quite possibly none of the opinions offered will be what you thought you wanted to hear. Ad hominem attacks and petulant rants are no hallmarks of maturity much less good manners. Act like an adult and you are more likely to be treated as one.

couldnt that have alot to do with the fact that your roommate didnt have the whole package to make it work right?

it kind of anoys me alitle that there is so many people saying tunnelrams are a bad induction when 99% of the people posting this never tried one themselves on something that could actualy use it, just my humble opinion.

anyone ever get to try a 2barrel on a low dual plane on a 400cube w9 with a 300 @ .050 cam with some cast 318manifolds runnning 6000rpm stall? gues why no one does this (hopefully)and gues if it would be an absolute pigg to drive?

same as putting a big carbed tunnelram on a basicly stock 318 with headers and a cam,just from two diferent perspectives..

the whole bling factor would in turn make me look like a ricer with a mopar. I DO NOT WANT THAT ill stick with my air gap thanks for the help guys dad runs a tunnel ram on his 440 of course its full built pushin 700 horse on drag radials YIKES

I think it sounds like you should be asking your dad to help you with some things. By a book and start reading. There is tons of knowledge on the web. Check tech pages over on Moparts (I dont like the site but has good tech pages). You have yet to tell us what you expect from your car? Maybe before you ask a question you should research it the best you can then ask about some of the points you dont understand. I come here myself looking for answers but I usually start by looking it up myself. Most guys here are ready and willing to help the younger generation. Just be respectful and you will get alot farther.

I actually started reading this thread because I have a Weiand Tunnel Ram that I am considering using on my 340 stroker. I was looking for some insight or things I hadn't thought of. All in all, it still boils down to it being a complete package not just an intake on a motor. You have to take everything into consideration. Compression, cam, lower end, gears, converter, suspension and more. If you wanna make it work, you gotta (what's the word I am looking for? Oh, yeah) PLAN it.

the thing about a tunnel ram is that it has a large plenum. If your motor doesnt have enough velocity it will be sluggish due to lazy air. Learn to listen to your motor. I can tell when mine needs an oil change by sound.When you were frying your motor the valve train should have became noisier. this was your first sign if you had been listening. second performance drops off and finally bearings spin. a motor talks to you if you know how to listen.

the thing about a tunnel ram is that it has a large plenum. If your motor doesnt have enough velocity it will be sluggish due to lazy air. Learn to listen to your motor. I can tell when mine needs an oil change by sound.When you were frying your motor the valve train should have became noisier. this was your first sign if you had been listening. second performance drops off and finally bearings spin. a motor talks to you if you know how to listen.

Yep, we used to call that a Death Rattle](*,)

I actually started reading this thread because I have a Weiand Tunnel Ram that I am considering using on my 340 stroker. I was looking for some insight or things I hadn't thought of. All in all, it still boils down to it being a complete package not just an intake on a motor. You have to take everything into consideration. Compression, cam, lower end, gears, converter, suspension and more. If you wanna make it work, you gotta (what's the word I am looking for? Oh, yeah) PLAN it.

yep just like anyother intake it must match up nice to the rest of the build
a fairly small streetrollercam alitle over [email protected], 9.5-10:1compression with some eddy rpm heads 1 3/4" headers, 3000rpm stall and depending on tiresize but 3.73:1 gears with 28" tall rears and two 500cfm edelbrocks runs real mean on the street with a 400cube smallblock, believe me this is something that works and dont worry about torque with this setup your gona totaly destroy any reartire on the street thru first and second gear and you may be able to hook it up once you hit 3rd
this is what it took with a 383chevy in a 3700lbs 65 malibu to run 11.50s all day long with a converter that was far from good enough to hold the power and its not anywhere near sluggish in dailydriving situatuions, its more likely that most would feel like its alitle to fast responding to input from the loudpedal...dont hate me for this chevy stuff but you could gues what would happen with even more cubes in a light abody mopar..

-
Back