318 tunnel ram street friendly?

-

mopardart72

I'm a pretty big deal
Reaction score
is this street friendly ive always wanted to put a tunnel ram on my 318

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WND-1995/?rtype=10

WND-1995.jpg

I knew guys who ran em on the street all the time...doesnt mean thier friendly,lol! Actually not bad but for the street your better off with a dual plane or a six pack.

IMO, if you really want to run that tunnel ram on a teen and have some sort of street freindly manors to it, run a pair of Holley 390's or if you can actually find, OEM 400 Cartrer AFB's. (LOL on that one!)

I told you in another thread……. You are all over the place on part selection. This is very common for those new to the hobby. If you continue down this path your car will be a hodgepodge mismatched parts, you will get frustrated, and you will never be happy.

Please take the advise of one that has been doing this for years…… Form a plan. Put it on paper. Don't buy things outside your plan.

in fact bud i have had my car for 6 years now go it when i was 12. ive been aquiring parts since age 15. right now im just window shopping. and asking questions and gaining knowledge im asking if tunnel rams are street friendly not how to make a list and plan it out. and im not ''all over the place' as you say it. im just trying to be a rugular poster. if i have a question i rely on you guys to help me. not give me BS answers like form a plan. and how am i supposed to form a plan without knowing what parts to buy?

AGAIN! Is it a 400 cfm?

I'll answer you. No, it is not.
You'll need the 400 cfm Carters or a pair of 390 Holley carbs.
If you do not have/get them, do not bother with this.

I think what he was trying to tell you was that if you form a plan and stick to it your less likely to have problems. Find out what works best for your build. Are Tunnel rams streetable sure they are with proper tuning. These guys are here trying to help you. Sticking to a plan your less likely to buy parts that either won't work or don't need. What you can do is call Weiand and explain to them what kind of build your after and ask them if that Item would help you get there.

i agree a 318 can be run on the street with a tunnelram but it has to be built to use it, it takes a pretty mean 318 to realy take advantage of it and all the other stuff that is needed in the driveline to match up

in fact bud i have had my car for 6 years now go it when i was 12. ive been aquiring parts since age 15. right now im just window shopping. and asking questions and gaining knowledge im asking if tunnel rams are street friendly not how to make a list and plan it out. and im not ''all over the place' as you say it. im just trying to be a rugular poster. if i have a question i rely on you guys to help me. not give me BS answers like form a plan. and how am i supposed to form a plan without knowing what parts to buy?
You need to learn to do your own research. Get some books on building performance motors or the Mopar speed secrets book and read them and gain some knowledge. Sure its ok to ask questions to see if what you think is right but i guess you have never heard the old saying believe nothing youre told and half of what you see. I agree you need a plan. The mopar speed secrets book will tell you exactly what Chrysler engineers do to run a specific number with a certain weight car with every size motor. you can use these formulas by educated engineers who know mopars and substitute similar parts. Then you will learn what works together and what doesnt. I started out just like you. This advise would have saved me thousands of dollars spent redoing things.DD

formula i meant no harm as what i was saying yes im new to car and yes i should stick with a plan and stop asking questions

well what i have in the motor is a stock bottom end (crank, rods, pistons) but my top end is built cam, rockers etc would this be ok for the tunnel ram? right now i have the victor intake

this is the intkae i have except not chrome and shiney lol

should i just go ahead and keep this intake and buy a better carb? right now i have a carter AFB

edl-75764_w.jpg

Big_CARTER%20AFB.jpg

it can work on the street,i have one on my 340.but like stated it would have to be a nasty 318.and all t-rams are not created equal.id run an edelbrock if you can find one.its taller with narrow runners and a reduced plenum which will hlep low end a little.and like rumble said a pair of 390 holleys.i have 450 holleys on mine .the combo has to match or youll have a dog.youll need increased compression,stall speed , more gear ,headers,duals,hotter ignition,and an aggressive cam ,etc.

Unless i'm wrong the Victor intake is made for 3500-8000 rpm. Is that what you are building for?

I don't know… I can't get a feel for where you are going or what your goal is. This makes it hard to point you in a direction.

that is a edelbrock rpm air gap dual plane in the pic...thats the intake you should most likely be running.

If you buy a carb, you need to speak to whoever you get it from about your engine.
You don't wanna spend $500 on a carb and then change plans.
Holley, Demon and numerous shops that do custom Holley's can hook you up with a nice carb that will perform better than an afb....don't rag on me afb lovers...its just my opinion. LOL

I'll second that Dave. The airgap would be his best choice.

i seen in one of your other posts, at least I think it was you, about a hood scoop and having little funds available. if that is true, i don't think a tunnel ram on a 318 is a good idea, it is not really a "budget" build. your car needs to be a complete package to run well. stock bottom end with a "built" cam, what ever that is with a tunnel ram is not going to run very well. tunnel ram/dual quads needs gears/convertor/good trans/some compression and a good set of heads. and then be prepared to drive around with the fuel tanker following you....imo....not saying it can't work, but to just drop a tunnel ram on a basicly stock 318, good luck...

inkjunkie not saying you are wrong ,but a very good friend of mine has a 383 chevy with a tunnelram and dual 500cfm edelbrocks on it and it uses alot less fuel compared to what a 750proform dublepumper did ontop of both an airgap and a torquer manifold, however this is on a motor that is built and can handle the tunnelram, just saying there is alot of bad talk about tunnelrams from people who never got there tunnelram engines setup real sharp

ok, so you have a performer rpm airgap intake

this is your current sig:

72 swinger 318 Msd distributor, 700 Holley carb, dual Flow master exhaust, Aluminum Valve covers, Kenwood Cd player, 3/16 gauges, Edelbrock preformer intake, bored 30.0 over

here it is corrected:

72 swinger 318 MSD distributor, Carter AFB 625 carb, dual Flow Master exhaust, aluminum valve covers, Kenwood cd player, 2 1/16" gauges, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bored 0.030" over

Back in the day, on the street or strip, my Duster pissed off a friend, with a 350,350 hp camero. He cut his hood, tunnel ram; slowed down. Then bought a LT1, it was better, but self-destructed. Get a dual plane, it agrees with your cam and RPM.

-
Back