318 with pop up pistons and 302 heads?

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, I have this 318 that was built by a shop, several years ago for a fella that wanted to put it in his circle track car. I get it from the clown I bought my duster from. It's never been fired. I have no clue if it's even any good.
Its complete carb to pan. With Edelbrock heads, RPM intake, some Erson cam. Bored .060 bla, bla bla... I am thinking about putting it in my ramcharger, but changing out some parts. I "think" it's a roller motor, (91 date code) so I'm thinking of stuffing a stock roller cam and a set of #302 heads on it with a thermoquad intake/carb and rolling with it.
With the pistons sitting +.015 out the hole, will there be any issues with the pistons hitting the heads? I haven't figured out the compression either and that may be excessive as well. If the #302's are a problem I do also have a new set of smogger 360 heads I could use, but then I will have issues with the pushrod holes and the roller cam. What are your thoughts?
Here is the spec sheets from the people who built it
20200102_142535.jpg
20200102_142544.jpg

That shape that surrounds the company's name should be your first clue. How much of the piston is out of the cylinder? Just a dome, or the whole"flat top"? That has more bearing on compression than anything. If they're only 15 out of the hole, after you put a thick blue gasket on it, you'll have approx. 40 plus clearance. More than enough.

You are going to have to take some good photos of the piston at tdc and measure how far it's out of the hole. We should be able to tell from that whether it will fit in a closed chamber head with a normal head gasket. We also need the cam lift.

If the piston is out of the hole .015" and measured correctly, then the dome is over and above THAT. The dome is not considered when measuring deck clearance, only the flat part of the piston head. So, in order for an accurate answer, we need a piston part number and specs including the compression distance. A part number would be great, then we'd be on to something.

Bobby has s right and the picture idea is also great.

Otherwise, just pop the cylinder head on top with clay In-between. Then go from there. Cometic makes custom thickness gaskets!

You said you got it from "The Clown"...again?
Stay away from the Clown. Lol

I wish I had the part numbers for the pistons. Thats all the info I have on the block. I will have to unbolt a head to find out. For the cam, it will be a stock roller and I think it has around .400 lift. I'll pull some plugs and try to look at the pistons.
Thanks guys!

That shape that surrounds the company's name should be your first clue. How much of the piston is out of the cylinder? Just a dome, or the whole"flat top"? That has more bearing on compression than anything. If they're only 15 out of the hole, after you put a thick blue gasket on it, you'll have approx. 40 plus clearance. More than enough.
Yep, impossible to say what that .015" out of the hole actually means.... or if it even is a domed piston.

-
Back