318?

-

titanium

Reaction score
When buying a 318 is there any one year that is better then the others or what year(s)would be the preferred year(s) over the others?

The '67, 318, was an "LA" motor and had a steel crank. This steel crank issue makes them somewhat desireable but not too much really. Also, some of the early 318 from 67 to 70 supposedly had thicker cylinder castings. Other than that, I'd stick with a casting from the late sixties to the late 70's. (maybe 1978). Some of the 318 castings in the eighties were not of very good quality and had a bunch of porosity and core shift. I think this got straightened out when the magnum castings came out. I just had a 1975 318 bored and decked and the machinist was amazed at the quality of the block in general.

Thanks, A guy has a '74 complete 318 for sale. Wanna rebuild something on the cheap and get a little power out of it. I see a lot of guys are getting these 318 to run decent and making some decent power. I already have a set of J heads,a '70 340 intake and a std. steel crank to use.

AbodyJoe has a good point. A Magnum engine or the series just before the Magnum engines came out were roller cam engines, but.....

The '74 will do fine. Once you swap out pistons for some good compresion, you'll be in good shape. The pistons for a 318 are the only expensive part of this build. Since there not as popular as a 360 to build, the slugs will cost a bit more. After that, it's all the same.
Don't worry about the cast crank. The can hold a real good amount of power. No need to get a forged crank.

Given a choice I'd look for a 5.2. I did have very good luck with an 84' 4 barrel.

85-91 Roller Cam 318 with 302' casting cylinder heads=Black Engine OE

Minor SB Upgrade parts...timing chain, HV pump, welded smog ports,..regasket/reseal/new freeze plugs

Air Gap, + 600 cfm edelbrock, + headers, and it would be a Nice pump gas driver/screamer.

Wow a lot of choices for a 318. Well I guess I will go take a look at this motor and see what its about and go from there. Again thanks for all the info.

I got one sitting in my carport if you want - it's out of a 84 truck. Never have ran it but
the guy I bought it from was the mechanic that rebuilt it. The only thing I've done with it
is a compression test and it gets 150 in all cylinders. Will let you have it for $100 if you
want to come get it. The only thing I'm going to do with it is take off the Eldenbrok intake and put a 360 stock one on it. Is complete, even has the fan on it. Was going to
put it in my 67 Dart but picked up a 360 in Vermont a month ago and want to go with
that instead.

If I were looking for a 318 I would look for a 94 or later 5.2 Magnum. If I was just looking for a small block and it didnt need to be a 318 I would look for a 360 be it an early LA or a Mganum

wouldnt a 360 be a more affordable build?

For the most part, No and heres why;

If you didn't have an engine to begin with and the prices were the same, yes.

If you can get the 318 for a slight cost savings over the 360, lets say at about $100 cheaper, then no because the pistons for a 318 are a slight bit more expensive over a 360.

Having a 318 allready (or at a very very low cost) would still make it more affordable since dumping what you have allready and respending the money on getting a 360 instead of starting the build is simply money lost/thrown away.

Other prices to consider if your penny pinching (At which time I would say, if your penny pinching to build an engine, are you really sure you should be in this?) are bearings. After tha pistons and bearing cost differences, it'll be all the same. Minus powerout. Considering power isn't the first and foremost item to be obtained here, it doesn't really matter that he's not going with a 360.

better is in the eye of the beholder.

the early blocks around 1970 have been proven capable of a 4'' over bore.
dont know if the later can do that.

If using factory hyd roller lifters is in your plans, the 84-89'ish 318 is what you'd want.

The pre '73 318 all have the lighter & dinkier floating pin rods.
after all that... they are ll just 318's

I got one sitting in my carport if you want - it's out of a 84 truck. Never have ran it but
the guy I bought it from was the mechanic that rebuilt it. The only thing I've done with it
is a compression test and it gets 150 in all cylinders. Will let you have it for $100 if you
want to come get it. The only thing I'm going to do with it is take off the Eldenbrok intake and put a 360 stock one on it. Is complete, even has the fan on it. Was going to
put it in my 67 Dart but picked up a 360 in Vermont a month ago and want to go with
that instead.
Sounds like a good deal. Wish I was a little closer. The one I mentioned in my 2nd. post is 45 mins. away.

i am doing this right now thanks to prine

85-91 Roller Cam 318 with 302' casting cylinder heads=Black Engine OE

Minor SB Upgrade parts...timing chain, HV pump, welded smog ports,..regasket/reseal/new freeze plugs

Air Gap, + 600 cfm edelbrock, + headers, and it would be a Nice pump gas driver/screamer.

-
Back