-

reddishdsb

Reaction score
Are some years better than others? Found a 66 guy wants 300.

poly 318........ not much out there for it, and what is out there is expensive.
I would suggest an LA 318 (1967-1991) or Magnum 318 (1992 and up)

Agreed. Just make sure it is not a Poly 318 and it is indeed at least an LA engine. (Or Magnum)
$300 is fine it if is in excellent condition but not for well used.

As far as actual year is concerned? None are any better in general to get over another BUT, new (or lower mileage) is better.
The Magnum engines are really well for the fuel injection does really well for longevity of the engine and it's cylinder wear. Just realize it oils through the pushrods and not through the block like an LA.

Agreed. Just make sure it is not a Poly 318 and it is indeed at least an LA engine. (Or Magnum)
$300 is fine it if is in excellent condition but not for well used.

As far as actual year is concerned? None are any better in general to get over another BUT, new (or lower mileage) is better.
The Magnum engines are really well for the fuel injection does really well for longevity of the engine and it's cylinder wear. Just realize it oils through the pushrods and not through the block like an LA.
He said it was a '66. It's a poly, unless the guy mistakes if for a 273.

If its budget I'd go magnum 5.2/5.9 it all ready makes about 300 gross hp. If its everything gonna be new build beside block and crank then any years is fine.

He said it was a '66. It's a poly, unless the guy mistakes if for a 273.
Yea, I can read, just adding in something so there is no mistake. It's that borderline year and there are many people who don't know jack selling something to someone who don't know any better.
Don`t you think he would be further ahead with a 360?
Hanging out with "stroked340?"

The early teeners had spaghetti rods, er, I mean 273 rods. later ones got 340 sized rods. The changeover year was in the very early 70s. Some models in 70/71 I think,had single-planes and big 2bbls.
The very early ones had the 273 closed chamber heads. Later in the 80s they got hi-swirl,heart-shaped chambers. Some where after 85 I think, they got roller lifter blocks. By the 90s they were Magnumized!with roller cams.
So it kindof does make a difference to some folks. For $300,I want to hear it run, or I want to see it all apart, with lotsa shiny new parts. By far, your best deal is a roller-cam engine. And I'd only buy a teener if I needed the small mileage increase, or I just needed to fill a hole under someone else's hood.lol

Last edited:
poly 318........ not much out there for it, and what is out there is expensive.
I would suggest an LA 318 (1967-1991) or Magnum 318 (1992 and up)
Magnum,if it's possible... 340 flow number heads,actually good compression,and a good daily driver roller cam...

A 318 is just a detuned 340 with a slightly smaller bore.
Or a better description is that a 340 is just a hopped up 318 with a larger bore.

A 318 is just a detuned 340 with a slightly smaller bore.
Or a better description is that a 340 is just a hopped up 318 with a larger bore.

That's a good way to look at it besides that
a 318 will be a slightly higher powerband about 300-400 rpms so just need one step up on gears and stall. And the smaller bore probably don't come into effect until after 400-450 hp.

-
Back