340 blocks, whats the damage on the wallet?

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
So what are they going for now? I saw one in the marketplace for 1000, already machined. Is that average?

Also, what about Mopar blocks? A couple of years off from now, but I always wanted a 340 (no stroker stuff, just a 340 stroke). I may be better going with an R3 block. Are they still hard to get? What about the siamese R3 blocks? Are they worth the extra money, keeping future upgrades into consideration of the higher costs (Forced induction, nitrous, roller cam)?

If you can find a 340 block that hasn't been punched to .03 over and wearing that out too, consider yourself lucky. That engine was just to popular from day one. Even those originally put in boats have been moved to cars.
A grand for any block that's good for only 1 more build... not for me unless I'm restoring a by the numbers car.

I have two that are already 0.030 over and will need to be sleeved. Thinking of building one of the 360's I have in the garage instead!

If you only want a 340 , the siamese block will work , but would be overkill.
The 340 replacement block is a very stout piece , with the same bore restrictions as a 340 , but much beefier bottom end.
I am continuously astounded by the price of production 340's.......but it is what the market will bear. If you spend 500 for one that needs machne work , you are in the neighborhood of the resto block , which still needs machine work , but is far stronger.
If you aren't building for north of 500 h.p. , this is overkill.
If it were me , I'd do a 416 and leave 340 badges on the car.........keep them guessing.

I paid $700 for a complete 340 and sold a bunch of parts off of it (J-heads, Strip Dominator intake, pistons, stock rockers) and so when it went to MRL to be built, I have about $200 into it. It was +0.030 and had to be punched to +0.040 due to wear but I think we'll be good now.

If you are building a stroker, just get a 360 block. If you don't care about hi-revving, the "oooh" factor or a forged crank, just build a 360. I'm only building one because its what I really wanted.

I have a standard bore 340 block for sale for $300 bucks...possibly needs one sleeve...

buy a 360 for 100 bucks...and put 340 decals on it...99% of the people wont have a clue...

it will run faster and cost less...

-
Back