340 Cam Change - Lunati vs. Comp.

-
The quality of Comp cams has gone down. Instead of using Chevy cams why not call Hughes and get a better cam?

The quality of Comp cams has gone down. Instead of using Chevy cams why not call Hughes and get a better cam?

Can you give us a circumstance or proof of this? And so everybody understands, the new Fast rate cams alot of companies are pitching for the mopar WEAR quickly when driven at low rpms (street driving).

Your better off looking for an extra 5-10HP somewhere else like the heads or with bolt on's. Unless you like changing cams alot...
Brian

What do you mean the new Fast rate cams? Which companies are you referring to? I want to change the cam, the motor needs it for what I want. What company do you suggest using?

The quality of Comp cams has gone down hill

I know the gentleman that assembles my engines had to replace the cam in a hemi he built 2 times before he got one that wouldn't roundoff a cam lobe..Comp Cam by the way!!!..might be better now that was 2 years ago..

The only problem with the cams you want to run, is that either the Comp or Lunati have simular spring rates that have to be used. 120# seat and 300#+ open. This is NOT a good idea with stock rockers. It was mentioned already that you have a Good chance of pushing a pushrod right thru the rocker. Dont think it wont happen to you, its Very common.

As far as cam lobes Not lasting, Its not the cams fault. If you use the right oil and modify the block accordingly for these fast rate cams, you will never flatten the lobe. You have to use quality parts, and break-in is just so critical.

On the cam, I would go with the Voodoo 60404 or XE275HL

Wow I'm really making progress here. I love it!!

The last thing I want is problems obviously! If I need to change rockers, I would be ok with that, but what are some suggestions for rockers?? Should I stick with 1.5?? Would I benefit from 1.6?? What brands??

The only problem with the cams you want to run, is that either the Comp or Lunati have simular spring rates that have to be used. 120# seat and 300#+ open. This is NOT a good idea with stock rockers. It was mentioned already that you have a Good chance of pushing a pushrod right thru the rocker. Dont think it wont happen to you, its Very common.

As far as cam lobes Not lasting, Its not the cams fault. If you use the right oil and modify the block accordingly for these fast rate cams, you will never flatten the lobe. You have to use quality parts, and break-in is just so critical.

If your refering to my response i'm not talking about fast rate cams,i'm talking about Comp Cams in general going flat and i've heard the same from other people as well...

stroked340, I was referring to your response, sorry i misunderstood you.

I think I have pretty much ruled out the comp cam at this point. Leanly toward the Lunati, however I did look into Hughes, but the Hughes cams seem to have higher lifts with lower durations, and I was looking for the opposite, more duration with less lift. Opinions on Lunati vs. hughes?

I am using the comp xe275hl cam in my 340/416 stroker and just love this cam.fantastic torque and midrange power.i don't spin it past 6000 rpm's because it is a stroker,and is a street car,it would work great also in a 340 street car up to 6000 rpm's.

I think I have pretty much ruled out the comp cam at this point. Leanly toward the Lunati, however I did look into Hughes, but the Hughes cams seem to have higher lifts with lower durations, and I was looking for the opposite, more duration with less lift. Opinions on Lunati vs. hughes?

I'm curious as to why do you think you need more duration and less lift? As stated by numerous people here that means less torque and torque is what you need. Not dissing your preference, just curious why you would want that?

Honestly its because I was talking with someone about it, who does work on engines and they felt with my setup, a little more duration would work well. I think an important factor here too is that I have a 4 spd. I don't want too high of a power range for the street. I need instant get up when pulling out, and I don't feel I have that now. I'm just learning what all the cam numbers actually mean. I would love to go roller but I just can't afford that. I wouldn't want to buy cheap either.

Fastmopar71,my response wasn't to you...as for Hughes cams i've never tried one,but people who use them seem to like them..but i have used 3 different Lunati "voodoo" cams all with excellent results..

I too, have had Comp cams go flat, but strangely, the Lunati, ISKI, and Engle cams haven't.............

Must be my break in oil/method.

I've used Hughes cams in customers engines with very good results. Good torque and they will pull well past there advertised rpm range. Give them a call 309-745-9558. Very good people to talk to. They know mopars and there quality is spot on.

I too, have had Comp cams go flat, but strangely, the Lunati, ISKI, and Engle cams haven't.............

Must be my break in oil/method.

Could be... we just take them out and run them,my last cam was broken-in running down 1/4 mile at e-town:iconbigg::iconbigg:

The fish I recently bot had a very lumpy cam just installed. Do not know the specs but the thing has a great sounding idle. It has a torqer and Holley 750 DP carb. Not sure either about the heads but without a rev limiter in the MSD I have to be careful about revving it as it will rev way up there. Pulls really strong.

If I pull the engine to paint the car it will be very tempting to take the engine apart and see what's in it and what else needs to be in it.

Comp makes some very high quality parts. Cam failures just about always due to the builder's or owner's actions (or lack thereof). In this case, I just think the Lunati's a better fit. I've run cams from most manufacturer and I've yet to lose any. (knocking on wood because I'm sure it's coming...lol)

Could be... we just take them out and run them,my last cam was broken-in running down 1/4 mile at e-town:iconbigg::iconbigg:

Or, could be they are made from Blanks from China....................

However, any cam I have broken in on Amsoil 15W40 hasn't gone flat..... And thats a NONO too...........

I got a Comp here, has like 8 lobes gone, in 50K miles, nothing went fast. LOL Musta been the break in.

Almost All the cam "cores" come from the same place wether they are fro Crane, Comp, Lunati, Isky ect. These companies dont make their own cores, they buy them from same company that makes the base core. And they are made right here in the usa.

You guys take things much to personal. Its not a "jab" at you personaly. But if a cam goes bad, there is something wrong with the setup, oil used, conditions it is used under, lifters, ect. But how could it be? Look for the problem. If something goes wrong, you dont just say"Its the cam, its no good", slap another one in and have the same issue. There most likley is something in the setup thats not quite right. Thats all Im saying.

OK..back to the subject of this post..there has been alot of talk over the last few days about cams and intakes. I need to know about the heads. As I mentioned before, I'm going to be using stock 340 X heads. I was prepared to change the springs as needed for the cam I choose, however I appears I may need to do more.

My question now is, what cam can I safely run with completely stock heads? What is maximum lift and duration? It sounds like my two choices will need more than new springs. They will need more machining etc...

As of right now, I want to go with the Lunati 60403, but will i need new rockers and/or pushrods?

You can run the 60403, but pay close attention to the retainer to guide clearance. Its pretty easy to measure. Remove the spring, reinstall the lock and retainer and see how much room you have.

You can run stock rockers, but the question is how long will they last? I have seen it, along with many others here, where the pushrod goes right thru the stock rockers with these type of cams.

SO you know the risk with the rockers, its up to you if you want to take it. The old X heads are not to bad and I think it will perform well with this Voodoo cam.

I definitely don't want to take the risk of putting a pushrod through a stock rocker.

What rockers can I use then??

Roller adjustable rockers are the best way to go. ANd there a re a lot out there to chose from. It really boils down to how much you can spend on them.

Entry level low end roller rockers are $200 or less. PRW, Comp Cams, Lunati, Hughes, Harland Sharp, Crane all have some real nice rockers. They range from $400-$1000.

I have used them all, and in the right application they last just about forever. We have used a lot of Hughes rockers here in the last few years, and have had real good luck with them. The new Comp Magnum rockers are real nice too. For your application, I would go with one of these 2 rocker setups. We are a dealer for both and have had good luck with them.

I would love to go with a roller setup...that will just get way too expensive. Then I have to get a roller cam and lifters and the whole nine yards.

I looked on the Hughes website. Would I be able to use their heavy duty OEM style steel rockers? (HUG #1408) Can I use my current factory shafts?

-
Back