340 edelbrock heads

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with using the 340 edelbrock heads on a positive deck piston. I want to use open chamber head but my pistons are at .020 positve deck and stock I thought they were around .008 to.010. I am worried about piston to head interferance. The head I want to use is the 60179 for the early high compression 340. This engine now runs low twelves with stock x heads and a comp magnum 525 lift cam. I will also be changing the cam to a solid. My goal is mid to high elevans. I called Edelbrock techs no help.

joes68340s, You can use the edlebrocks if you run a thick enough head gasket to give you .038-.040 head to piston clearence. So if your out of the block .020 you need to use a head gasket thats .060 or thicker. The corteco gaskets are .055 this will give you a little tight quench but you should be fine, the quence would end up at .035, also if you have a steel rod engine which I'm assumeing that you do this thing should really run.

BJR Racing

joes68340s, the Edelbrock website says...

Performer RPM Chrysler 340 chambers are machined .060" for piston-to-head clearance with early high-compression 340 engines.
This is for the 60179 part number you mention. So if your pistons are .020" out of the hole, and the head has .060" of clearance milled into the chamber, then there better be .040" from the piston dome to the head even with no head gasket in place. I suggest you verify that, as well as the piston to valve clearance with the new cam, with modeling clay. Then order a set of head gaskets that are the approprate thickness to achieve the clearance you need. Cometic offers 11 different gasket thicknesses ranging from .027" to .120".

I would also suggest you check each pisont to make sure it's out .020". A recent small block that I had square decked was out more than .020 front to back..You dont want to check only one on each side, and have a problem.

-
Back