340 exhaust manifold heat shield

-

julius2

Reaction score
do we know if a drivers side 340 exhaust manifold heat shield will ever be available again.
Julius

For the demand we see (probably a post a week or more, with a dozen people chiming in also looking for one), you'd think suppliers would be pounding these things out considering how simple they are and what they get for them when they do turn up.
Victor, McCord and probably a slew of others made them in the past, so it's just a matter of one of them digging out the dies and stamping a run of a couple 1000 or so.
Never could understand how they could justify repopping the manifolds themselves, but the heat shields were too much effort...

For the demand we see (probably a post a week or more, with a dozen people chiming in also looking for one), you'd think suppliers would be pounding these things out considering how simple they are and what they get for them when they do turn up.
Victor, McCord and probably a slew of others made them in the past, so it's just a matter of one of them digging out the dies and stamping a run of a couple 1000 or so.
Never could understand how they could justify repopping the manifolds themselves, but the heat shields were too much effort...

you're right you know..jpg

Yeah even when Mopar was making them they was pricey. Why doesn't some company make them? They work great for keeping your plug wire from cooking. Crazy what they pick and choose what to make.

Yeah even when Mopar was making them they was pricey. Why doesn't some company make them? They work great for keeping your plug wire for cooking. Crazy what they pick and choose what to make.
From what I remember we gave them the heave ho. They were after all a gasket as well as a heat shield and went bye bye when headers were installed.

They commonly rusted apart, too. After all, they were just really thin stamped steel.

Some how all three of my smallblocks with 68-70 manifolds seem to work fine without the heat shield, haven't lost a plug wire yet...

Tom Weidner was making these awhile back. He brought me a set to show me and asked if I thought $180 was too much to ask. At the time I didn’t know how scarce they were, I’ll ask him what ever happened to that project.

I think I paid $130 for one about 8 years ago. Didn't want to but it was the only one I could find.

Alan

-
Back