340 exhaust manifold heat shield

-
I spoke with mega parts, and they heard someone will be making them again. the last time they were made they were just under 200.00. that's a lot better than 500.00. I have at least 6 months before I need one

Take the 273 heat shield and trim the ports off leaving the vertical shield portion next to the ports then rivet the heat shield at just above the port bolt holes to a Felpro 340 exhaust manifold gasket.

I did this on my 340 and you can’t tell the difference from a reproduction.

It’s been on my engine that way for over 20 years

5EF2DB64-139F-47DD-BCD3-DC1F35311C5C.jpeg

Last edited:
They told my buddy who tried buying one from them that it was a 10+ year old listing and all are long gone.

They have been showing up on e-bay auctions at a rate of about one a month. They appear to have been selling for $400 ish. :realcrazy:

I spoke with mega parts, and they heard someone will be making them again. the last time they were made they were just under 200.00. that's a lot better than 500.00. I have at least 6 months before I need one
purchased an nos one for 385.00. so I'm good

Lot of money but glad you got what you wanted / needed. Where did you find one?

I need to look for where I bought mine two years ago. It sucks that the passenger side is not available as well.
Kris, the parts manual doesn't list a passenger side exhaust manifold gasket. That's typical for many Chrysler engines of that era. Well machined surfaces don't necessarily need a gasket. A driver's side gasket was probably used because it was a convenient place to attach a shield to protect the brake master cylinder from heat from the exhaust manifold.

And to think I bought three back in 78 or so and they were $7 each (McCord) I think. And, I got the pass side one too. Both still on my car and my one spare is downstairs I think.

Far as I know 65 was the only year that came with a right side one from the factory.

Alan

Good point Alan. I'll shoot a photo of it later so all can see what a 69 340 looks like with it on. :):).

-
Back