340 exhaust manifolds

-
Reaction score
I recently bought a running 1970 340 to put in place of a 273. It had headers and the seller kept them. I am looking for factory exhaust manifolds. But first a question or two. Other than a,b,e body style manifolds, was there a difference in manifolds? It seems to me that I have seen a couple different styles. One that drops somewhat straight down from the exhaust ports, and one that rises up toward the valve cover (sort of like the H.P. big blocks ) before it turns downward towards the back of the block. Was there a higher flowing manifold in the earlier years. Did a low flow, lower horse power manifold come out in 1972-73 for the 340/360?
If there was a H.P. 340 exhaust manifold, I am looking for a set!
( pictures for comparison would be appreciated )

the early 340 exhaust manifolds were likely a bit better than the later ones but probably not noticeable at 275 hp.Still it's a nice touch having the correct pieces for a pre '71 340 car.
The early ones can be pricey.

Yes it depends on what you want. Original 340 car you are restoring? You may want the 340 manifolds. Just need manifold for your 340 because you don't want to mess with headers? The 72-74 340 manifolds will fit the bill are easier to come by and are more reasonably priced. There isn't a ton of flow difference between the manifolds. Also, Places like TTI will sell you the correct head pipes for which ever manifolds you use. Here's a link to a dyno test to compare the manifolds and also with headers. Moparts on the Web - Main Index

Yes it depends on what you want. Original 340 car you are restoring? You may want the 340 manifolds. Just need manifold for your 340 because you don't want to mess with headers? The 72-74 340 manifolds will fit the bill are easier to come by and are more reasonably priced. There isn't a ton of flow difference between the manifolds. Also, Places like TTI will sell you the correct head pipes for which ever manifolds you use. Here's a link to a dyno test to compare the manifolds and also with headers. Moparts on the Web - Main Index
It is not an original 340 car. I am replacing a 273. So I am not going for originality. I felt that getting a set of original manifolds would make things easier, so yeah, i do not want to mess with headers at this time, however, if someone could make me a believer that there is a manufacturer that can make it an easy swap then i might buy headers.
So am I wrong when I said I thought I have seen 2 different styles of manifolds?

You probably have seen 2 different styles of manifolds since there are two. Check out TTI's site as they make exhaust pipes for all the various styles.

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/MoparClassics-Exhaust/MfdCastingNos-340.pdf

You'll notice there are photos of the styles and part numbers; take those part numbers and google them to get larger pictures so you know which style you want to buy.

I recently bought a running 1970 340 to put in place of a 273. It had headers and the seller kept them. I am looking for factory exhaust manifolds. But first a question or two. Other than a,b,e body style manifolds, was there a difference in manifolds? It seems to me that I have seen a couple different styles. One that drops somewhat straight down from the exhaust ports, and one that rises up toward the valve cover (sort of like the H.P. big blocks ) before it turns downward towards the back of the block. Was there a higher flowing manifold in the earlier years. Did a low flow, lower horse power manifold come out in 1972-73 for the 340/360?
If there was a H.P. 340 exhaust manifold, I am looking for a set!
( pictures for comparison would be appreciated )
You can occasionally find those manifolds for sale on EBay, but they're very pricey!!

Just remember, the early 340 manifolds are also used on AAR/TA Challengers. I have seen them for sale on Flee bay for $1200. A seller might set on them for a long time at that price though. Here's a few casting numbers to look for. These will be all for A bodies.

2863549-----RH------68-70
2863553-----LH------68-71
3614368-----LH------72-74
3418623-----RH------71-73

I have two of these NOS
3614368-----LH------72-74
YES NOS never installed
$400 each

I have a scruffy right side manifold for a 68-70 340. It needs a new home!
Tom

I have lots more. Please email me at [email protected] and I'll send them all. This one came from a 69 340 I used to have.

IMG_0230.jpg

You should be able to find the 71+lh and 72-73 rh for under 250 if you look hard.

The early ones get stupid money. I sold a set to a member here for around $300 or so because he helped out on some other things. The norm is closer to 450-500 and up range.

Early ones don't work much if any better than the later manifolds.

crackedback said:

"Early ones don't work much if any better than the later manifolds"

But the earlier ones are sexier lookin' with all of those soft curves, no?

And weren't there some later exhaust manifolds from Dodge Dakota pick-ups that someone said here that would adapt/fit?

I have a scruffy right side manifold for a 68-70 340. It needs a new home!
Tom
Hey Tom, I just sent you a e-mail then I found one you sent me last week or so. You had sent me some photos. You can respond back if you wish. thanks, Mike

-
Back