340 identification

-

Greenmachine225

Reaction score
Hey guys, just picked up a rebuilt 340 for a sweet deal and since was able to get a fairly rare engine I kind of want to know more about it, I’ll post all the numbers on the engine, and I know what the casting numbers mean but I’m not sure what the rest of it means and im hoping someone can tell me more about it based off those, if I’m missing any let me know and I’ll take a picture and add it. Any info would be awesome, thanks!

B9B326CD-84C3-469F-A316-426E9EC6D4B3.jpeg

A18CF48E-4AEE-4150-9970-5055A16E04F1.jpeg

4182925D-887D-46A6-8C52-B9B315357A29.jpeg

062BB0D0-406E-4873-8A8D-D68B8AB5E170.jpeg

73 Model year engine.

I'll guess out of a Charger

I see an HM designation in a picture which would be 1972, but the VIN appears to start with a 3 = 1973

Last edited:
73 Model year engine.

I'll guess out of a Charger

I see an HM designation in a picture which would be 1972, but the VIN appears to start with a 3 = 1973
Cool thanks! And I’m assuming from the casting number it’s a 71 block right? Would the model year mean it has the cast crank or would it have a forged crank from 71?

71 block should be a forged crank with 188 valves. 340-1 block I'm jealous very strong block first pour out of the ladle that day. First mold so it was inspected by QC. Hot pour so every crevice filled full. And with better alloys at the top of the ladle. 358 Sprint car guys would look for these blocks and pay good money for them.

The crank goes into it when it is assembled, and that would most likely been assembled at the beginning of the 1973 model year. But that’s not a for sure either.

See the stamps on the yellow circle, not factory markings. But they are only on the head and not the block. It’s a 49 year old engine. Take it apart to know what you have for sure.

The crank goes into it when it is assembled, and that would most likely been assembled at the beginning of the 1973 model year. But that’s not a for sure either.

See the stamps on the yellow circle, not factory markings. But they are only on the head and not the block. It’s a 49 year old engine. Take it apart to know what you have for sure.
The guy I bought it from gave me some pictures of the work he did, it has J heads, but he’s super old so he couldn’t remember what else it has bottom end wise.

The guy I bought it from gave me some pictures of the work he did, it has J heads, but he’s super old so he couldn’t remember what else it has bottom end wise.
Show us a picture of the balancer...
now here’s another question, if it has a cast crank then is it externally balanced or internally, and if externally balanced do I need a external balance flex plate or converter. Guy I bought it from put different pistons in it and says it’s about 10.5:1 comp and that he had the rotating assembly balanced with those pistons, does that make it internally balanced now? Sorry I’m a newbie when it comes to 340s and I just want to make sure I don’t do anything to hurt this engine.

now here’s another question, if it has a cast crank then is it externally balanced or internally, and if externally balanced do I need a external balance flex plate or converter. Guy I bought it from put different pistons in it and says it’s about 10.5:1 comp and that he had the rotating assembly balanced with those pistons, does that make it internally balanced now? Sorry I’m a newbie when it comes to 340s and I just want to make sure I don’t do anything to hurt this engine.
We just had a 360 here with a externally balanced damper. It was neutral balanced when built and took a neutral balanced flywheel. When you tear it down see if there is a heavy metal slug in the rear of the crank. That was the give away that are motor was neutral balanced.

Like Oldmanmopar said, you need to look at the crank. But, cast 340 cranks need far less to internally balance them than 360's do and I don;t recall there being any mallory set in it. It could be either way. If it we're balanced with the damper, then there might be some lightening holes on the damper too.

My cast 340 crank is internally balanced so I had to get the correct flywheel and damper, which are more common. I'm not sure what the factory did for cast crank auto's flex plate or converter counterweight wise.

well that answered my question, never thought I’d get my hands on a 340 so I don’t know all the specifics but hey I guess the big lettering on the balancer saying,”use with cast crankshaft only” might be a good clue haha.
Yup, if your balancer has that cast into it, chances are it still has a cast crank and is still externally balanced. You would also need the correct matching flywheel or converter, or, a special flex plate to take the place of the weights on the converter. There used to be some weight kits available so you could add the appropriate ones as needed. I don't know if they're still available or not.

-
Back