340 Oil filter adapter

-
Ok...So Mine has (Will Have) the same exhaust Manifold as Pictured above....Will the oil filter clear the Exhaust Manifold without issues??
Don't know IF I must get an an adapter,use a shorty,Or id a standard filter will still work.
From this angle,It loos like it will be fime as is,But not sure about Heat Issues?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,Eric

You have to use a 90° oil filter adapter with the 68-70 340 exhaust manifolds... Tilted down slightly at about 5° - 10°...

Then the oil filter will clear... :D

If you don't use the 90° adapter, the oil filter will definately hit the exhaust manifold... ---> tried it.... :BangHead:

Ok...So Mine has (Will Have) the same exhaust Manifold as Pictured above....Will the oil filter clear the Exhaust Manifold without issues??
Don't know IF I must get an an adapter,use a shorty,Or id a standard filter will still work.
From this angle,It loos like it will be fime as is,But not sure about Heat Issues?
Thanks,Eric
You'll need one. I ha e one for sale, PM me.

Jake

You'll need one. I ha e one for sale, PM me.

Jake
is your adaptor complete with the bolt and gaskets? if so what will you take for it? BTW I have been running a 318 since 1974 with the adaptor because of headers and not one problem in all those years, I am using the original mopar adaptor.

I'm wondering this same thing, as I will be using the 340 hi-po manifolds too. I never realized that the 90 degree filter adaptor came from the factory on these 340 motors. But, looking at these pictures, I can't see how you'd change oil without the adaptor.

Thanks,Eric

Wix 51335. Just barely clears the manifold.

Just a thought, if the Six 51335 just barely clears the manifold, what happens when you want, or need to change oil, not even getting into the heat from the manifold on the filter? Maybe wrap it, but I'm not a fan of that, either. Just curious.

To change the oil filter I have to loosen the head pipe and drop it down. As far as heating the filter, maybe in heavy traffic it will heat up but the oil filter is so small the oil spends little time in the filter.
I change my oil every 1000 miles, which works out to every two years. So dropping the headpipe is no big deal. The bolts are not rusted and easy to remove.

Got a picture of that wix 51335 installed...think i'd like to use that next build.

My memory might be wrong, but it tells my 65 Barracuda 273 hi-po had the right angle adapter from the factory, and I kept on running it when I swapped in a 340, with both late and early 340 manifolds and now headers. Again, I seem to remember that the long oil filter without the adapter won't clear the torsion bars on an early A. Since it's been 50 years since the car had a 273, I could be wrong.

Anyway, I've run the right angle adapter on my 340 for fifty years, and now a right angle adapter on the 360 in my 67 Barracuda for over 30 years, never a problem either car. I have blown up a couple of mostly stock 440's, but never a 340 or 360.

-
Back