340 oil pan recommendation-stroker

-

35regal

Reaction score
right now i have the low profile 8 qt pan by milodon, it was fine untill i added the 1 3/4 hooker headers, the problem now is 2 tubes on each side are about 1/4 -1/2 inch away from the pan were it gets wide at the bottom. so im looking for a alternative , something that will hold 7-8 qt pan. i found a milodon 9 qt pan , but its massive , part#31390, the drag link goes thru the oil pan via -tunnel-channel.its 11 deep in the fron and 12 in deep in the rear , its a rear sump. I DONT LIKE HOW CLOSE THE HEADERS TUBES ARE TO THE PAN BECAUSE OF HEAT. IT IS A STREET CAR. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. this is for my 67 notch.

I don't think radiant heat is going to add a whole lot to the oil temp.
It is heating in a very concentrated area , which has a constantly flowing pool of oil passing over it.
You have air cooling when you are moving that will carry most of the heat away.
Unless you really have to have a new pan , I think you should be just fine.
Even sitting and idling for prolonged periods , the oil isn't sitting in one spot long enough to gather much heat from the proximity of the headers to the pan.

Edited to add.......are your headers coated ? If yes , then you have no problem what so ever.

its hammer time ...just a small gap would be better than none,it probably would cause no problem but I would try to get some clearance .my two cents

thanks everyone! i guess im just trying to make it live as long as i can,now that shes running the best ever im now looking for other potential problems, i do have a oil cooler on it, but never checked the temp.... i guess i should do that before i wrapped up in a oil pan swapp....thanks!

If you use a milodon road race oil pan, it sits above the k frame and has an oil temp bung setup in it all ready. Autoxcuda uses this pan in his 416 with TTi headers with no problems

Running a Kevco pan on my son's 416 Duster with TTI's and no clearance issues !

IMO, you're making an issue out of something that isn't a problem.

If the headers aren't coated, that's the best way to reduce the radiant heat. It can make a HUGE difference.

That far down the tube, I'd bet exhaust temps are reduced quite a bit.

thanks for the tip, ill use my temp gun on the header tubes down by the pan, and ill check oil temp also.

-
Back