340 QUESTION??

-

69dartwant

Reaction score
Don't mean to be numb here, just trying to get some ideas about todays reality! The 340 has always been my favorite smallblock since owning two of them {'69 cuda + '69 swinger} back in the 70"s. Hope to have one again before pushing up daisies.
Just looking for a ballpark idea of what price is a fair price to pay for a good rebuildable long block 340, 69-71 era in stock form? How about one that is already rebuilt? Buyer beware right, with all the crooks out there! Thanks!

I bought a complete rebuildable 340 long block for $800 about 4 years ago. I spent about $2,500 for machining and parts (not counting the 6 pack setup).

I will agree with 68 and if Rocco sold his in the last 20 years someone got one heck of a deal and it wasn't Rocco! 340's are great little engines that have surprised more than one big block. And I have quite a few 340's but as always shipping is tough

It needed to be rebuilt. New process 4 speeds are junk. The 340 was a later one. I believe a 70 something. It was a few years ago.

they are anywhere from $500- about 2K depending on year, condition and what comes with it..

360 is cheaper to buy, more plentiful and runs just as well and has more cubes.

I have a freshly honed .060 - 340 squared up ready for slugs. Also a stock forged crank. Will be disassembling another one later for its internals.

Hit me up with a conversation if interested. (PM)

Edit bore size

Last edited:
I like the little 340's! This argument comes up quite a bit 340vs 360 and will probably never be settled. I have 360's also but my choice is always the"little engine that could"!

I just picked up a 70 block that will clean up at .030 over for $200. Too good of a deal to pass up, but realistically a 360 can be found cheaper

I just picked up a 70 block that will clean up at .030 over for $200. Too good of a deal to pass up, but realistically a 360 can be found cheaper

That's a good deal. I'd be flipping it and making some money to use elsewhere.

Damn it Joe! How many times must you be told-flipping is unforgivable! People here HATE flippers! Please never mention making money on parts or cars again!!!!!

Damn it Joe! How many times must you be told-flipping is unforgivable! People here HATE flippers! Please never mention making money on parts or cars again!!!!!

they are just the lazy ones who don't do the work and end up there first with cash..:)

..prices are all over the map right now but there are deals out there.
As mentioned the "which is better" 340 / 360 argument will go on forever
but it really just boils down to whether you want a 340 Dart or a 360 Dart.
..expect to pay $1000 up for a 340 builder.

Just sold a 70 340 long block without intake or exhaust manifolds for $900 it was listed on this site and others and sold it in about a month.

I found a 340 complete that needed a rebuild (crank needed turned and cleaned up at .040) for $300. The heads also needed a complete rebuild but I had a set of 2.02 J's sitting on the shelf.

I'll admit that I was a bit star struck to find a 340 at the time, so I rebuilt it. It has less than 100 miles on it before I yanked it to rebuild the steering, suspension and paint the bay.

If I could do it all over again, I would have sold the long block and built a magnum, only because it would have been cheaper and made great power. I didn't know that back then. :)

There is a short block out of a 69GTS car near me for 1,500. Dude is nuts.

This is why I run big blocks...

That's a good deal. I'd be flipping it and making some money to use elsewhere.
Thought about but I have a std crank and rods from another 340, plus a pan, windage tray,etc. need pistons to build a complete motor

What size pistons are you looking for? FLIP FLIP FLIP!!!!

.030 over. I have a set of .060 over flat tops that I need to part with

-
Back