340 Six Pak...smokin', or blowin' smoke?

-
Ok cool. Here is an article from Hot Rod networking on 6 pack tuning. At the end it lists the name, Promax that Rumble mentioned. They explain without power valves in the outboards it can be tricky to get them to open without bogging it, or not bogging and sacrificing HP.
http://www.mopar1.us/6barreltips.html
Interesting stuff. Thanks everyone. I also liked the video racerkilla.
Here the link to Promax Carbs and Performance.
http://promaxcarbs.com/
Ain't cheap, but what the heck.

Great links, guys!
Thanks...very informative.
I don't care what anybody says...nothin' beats a six pak for looks!

I've read that artical it's good. I like to look at average hp through the rpm range and the 6 pack is 10hp behind the air gap and 950. I'm guessing the out of the box 6 pack was way lean for a 360 like they were using for the test and add in the fact that the six pack can't use the velocity/ air horn on the pull also. A good deep gasket match and well tuned 6 pack I'm guessing would be a close race at the strip, the air gap will probably be quicker but not buy much. Would be cool if someone actually did a back to back test at the strip!!!

My friends 416 made 518 with a Victor and 950hp. Made 487 with a 6 pack.

Both were tuned correctly.

My friends 416 made 518 with a Victor and 950hp. Made 487 with a 6 pack.

Both were tuned correctly.

Was the 6 pack intake deep gasket matched? i took a lot of meat out of mine and it had some substantial core shift. Not that it would make up the 30hp difference if it wasn't but I'm guessing it would be a solid few more HP.

Attachments

• 6 pack 003 (800x600).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 169
IMHO, more development effort has been lavished on single four barrel manifolds than on any other carburetor configuration. That being the case, small wonder that they perform well versus the 3x2 that are virtually unchanged since 1970. I'd be interested in seeing a 3x2 vs 1X4 vs 2X4 dyno challenge using the Indy LA Mod Man. Granted it may not be the best manifold, but it would put everyone on an equal footing. As I recall previous dyno challenges, several times a smaller cfm carb has turned better numbers than a larger one.

If you run into any old Highland Park guys, they will tell you a story about an old Charger (69 or 70 body) that was a prototype 6 pack Hemi. It had better acceleration than the stock dual quad Hemi....

Unfortunately was not approved for production.

They also had a 453 CID Hemi that was mocked up in a 69 Plymouth B-Body that was proposed to continue the Hemi for 72 and beyond.... another one that got nixed....

They picked 453 intentionally so they wouldn't start a "cubic inch war" with the big three. GM had the 454, and Ford with the 460....

Cracked, would you be able to get details of that particular build?
As you said, the Victor, is a single plane. Given it more than likely has a cam well suited for its use. I would expect the 6 pack to fall short on power to it.
Being it is a dual plane vs. a single plane test. Which just shows how the single plane is better for the given build.

Considering the dual plane intakes only, I feel that this showing is an invalid comparison.
Again, I'll stand behind the 6 pack vs a 4bbl as long as there both dual planes. I'll still stand by my words.

EL5, any more pictures of the porting work?

2 Darts, now that would be a cool test to see. Dyno and/or strip tests. I do have a RPM-AG but only Edel./Carters to top it with. No Mod Man here.

Il have to look if I have more porting shots of the 6 pack. I used a long 6" shank to get the porting deep into the ports. I think I ordered them from Mc master Carr. As far as the mod man it's just a big open plenum I don't think that intake would work well with anything mild you would have to have a upper rpm engine to take advantage of it plus a lot of cubes would be best. I have read that dual 4bbl and a triple 2bbl is the way to go on it, not a single 4bbl.

An ede air gap is better than the 6 pack as well.

Do the same extra work to a victor or AG and the results stay the same.

416, xr286hr, ede heads, 10:1 compression was the build IIRC.

One thing I can attest to is the amount of interest at cruise ins and shows the 6 pack gets over the the other combos, I've run a bunch of different manifold, carb, aircleaners, and even home made ram air box for the last 14 years. the 6 pack by a mile gets way more interest, people asking questions, admiration, and shared old memory's. I've had more people ask about it in the last year then the single 4bbls I've run the previous 14 years! If your not worried about a couple of tenths and can swing the cost I would go 6 pack. Also what doesn't get mentioned much is the fact that some or most of the money you have in the 6 pack will come back to you if you sell the car, especially cars that could be had with one from the factory and some that didn't like 71 demons.

yeah...get alot of those stories about 6 pac on my hemi .........

An ede air gap is better than the 6 pack as well.

Do the same extra work to a victor or AG and the results stay the same.

416, xr286hr, ede heads, 10:1 compression was the build IIRC.

I agree though if the AG and the Victor come in at the same power level, the Victor is to much manifold.
I myself was speaking strictly dual plane. It is closer to a apple to Apple comparo. If the engine works better with a single plane, then it is a battle for single planes. At that same point also, any dual plane should not be used.

You keep pointing to a single 4bbl. Single plane when it is out classing any 4bbl. When this is not the argument or wondering there of.

yeah...get alot of those stories about 6 pac on my hemi .........
Oh yea! That's right! The 4 over head cam quasi moto hi ram dual plane version with dual Variable inlet paths that got 32 mpg's back in the day in a 5730 lbs. Dart! Damn! I forgot all about that one.

This is for the Captain. Since you can't just attach pictures to PM's, you have to link it to some other photo sharing site, he asked to see a shot of the 6 pack set up I got with my 340. I feel I got a good deal. Also came with what looks like original style air cleaner assy? Here's the picture

Attachments

• WP_000359.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 132
I don't doubt what anyone is saying, I like the cool factor. I'm not planning on racing or getting every bit of HP out of it. It's what I have, and I would like to go with it. At least it ain't another LS like Power Block TV. LOL

This is for the Captain. Since you can't just attach pictures to PM's, you have to link it to some other photo sharing site, he asked to see a shot of the 6 pack set up I got with my 340. I feel I got a good deal. Also came with what looks like original style air cleaner assy? Here's the picture

Promise me..if you think about selling you'll give me 1st dibs....

I have read that dual 4bbl and a triple 2bbl is the way to go on it, not a single 4bbl.

Who, besides Offy,(40 years ago) made a SB LA dual-plane dual quad manifold?
I can't find any, anywhere. I think it would make an interesting study as every other SB combo (Ford, Chevy, even AMC!) has a 2X4 manifold readily available, and cheap, too!
The only options for the LA I've seen are:
-Six Pak
-1X4
-2X4 Tunnel Ram.

IMHO, more development effort has been lavished on single four barrel manifolds than on any other carburetor configuration. That being the case, small wonder that they perform well versus the 3x2 that are virtually unchanged since 1970. I'd be interested in seeing a 3x2 vs 1X4 vs 2X4 dyno challenge using the Indy LA Mod Man. Granted it may not be the best manifold, but it would put everyone on an equal footing. As I recall previous dyno challenges, several times a smaller cfm carb has turned better numbers than a larger one.

Hot rod did a test of the ModMan intak on a 6.1 hemi and the duel quad performed the best. The cost of the six pack is what stopped me from running it. That's why I'm planning going either a dual quad with a mod man intake

port work

Attachments

• 6 pack 005 (800x600).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 6 pack 004 (800x600).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 133
  • first comunion 047 (1024x768) (2).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 121
6 pack > AG ..in cool factor, no question!

Yeah and I mentioned that earlier.

Some people just can't accept the performance deficiencies that are inherent in a SB 6 pack intake. A factory 6 pack intake/carbs in stock form will never be as good as an Air Gap from a performance standpoint on engines running in the design range. It's been proven over and over again.

6 pack have a cool factory, not quite 426 hemi cool, still cool factor.

So back to the OP's question:

But the question at hand is...can the Six Pak setup be made to perform as well as a four barrel in a street-motor application?

The answer is NO if both are prepped the same.

-
Back