340 Six Pak...smokin', or blowin' smoke?

-
I have no expertise/experience to offer here, but Ive always wanted either a 6 pack, or gimme 2x4's mounted sideways. Cross rams are even wowier...lol

Curious anyone ever seen numbers comparing cross ram to dual quad to 6 pack to single 4 bbl??

I accept that fact, only area the 6 pack will shine over the air gap/4bbl is mpg running off that little center 2 bbl and again the cool/WOW factor. But your right the RPM AG and it's Chinese knock off are on every other performance SB I see so it's no secret to engine builder.

Yeah and I mentioned that earlier.

Some people just can't accept the performance deficiencies that are inherent in a SB 6 pack intake. A factory 6 pack intake/carbs in stock form will never be as good as an Air Gap from a performance standpoint on engines running in the design range. It's been proven over and over again.

6 pack have a cool factory, not quite 426 hemi cool, still cool factor.

So back to the OP's question:

The answer is NO if both are prepped the same.

As we've seen, the numbers sort of bear that out.
Still; nothing more eye-catching to stop you in your tracks when 'hood-gaping' at the local car show. I can't tell you how many (yawn) chrome-covered, anodized AN-outfitted boredom-buckets I will just let my eyeballs skim over when walking down the line...but a six pak will stop me in my tracks. Every time.
To me it's the epitome of American Muscle.

I mis read a post and deleated what I was writing. My reply has no bearing on the thread and was deleated once I realized my mistake.
I believe the 6 pack is something you want to do. You don't do a 6 pack because it is cheap, you don't do a 6 pack for max HP over a 4 bbl.

There is no argument. BUT to dismiss the system as a crappy one or not able to stand up for its self is wrong. It can and does stand up very well. Toe to toe sometimes. Sometimes not. It is all build dependent. The wrong 4bbl. Intake and/or carb will fall short of what the 6pack can do.

Cracked showed one thing on how the 6 pack was a good few ponies behind the AG & 950. While a sizeable amount shown that will have tounges wagging like crazy and others bashing, you'll be hard pressed to see it at the track and even more so by the butt dyno.

someone asked about dual quad manifolds for sb.
Offenhauser still has dual quad manifolds for them but they have VERY short runners and are a single plane design that has issues in a street motor as far as low RPM torque. Edelbrock made the d-66 dual plane back in the day (I'd love to find one to play with if anybody has one PM me)
Edelbrock made the STR-12 crossram and Direct Connection did a lot of development work on it - people claim you can't run them on the street, but I've been doing it with 2 500 Eddys for 8 years and over 10,000 miles- a blast to drive and puts the 6 pack to shame in terms of the WOW! factor
Eddy and Weiand make tunnel rams for 2 fours.

someone asked about dual quad manifolds for sb.
Offenhauser still has dual quad manifolds for them but they have VERY short runners and are a single plane design that has issues in a street motor as far as low RPM torque. Edelbrock made the d-66 dual plane back in the day (I'd love to find one to play with if anybody has one PM me)
Edelbrock made the STR-12 crossram and Direct Connection did a lot of development work on it - people claim you can't run them on the street, but I've been doing it with 2 500 Eddys for 8 years and over 10,000 miles- a blast to drive and puts the 6 pack to shame in terms of the WOW! factor
Eddy and Weiand make tunnel rams for 2 fours.
Thanks for the info! (I was the one that asked the question). I can't imagine a tunnel ram playing well on the street. A real shame somebody hasn't developed a good dual plane 2X4 for these motors. They make 'em to fit a 283 Chevy ans a 289 Ford, for cryin' out loud!
Which model is the Offy? I will watch for one...just because...you never know?
As for the Six Pak; I remember back in the late '70's, you could buy a bolt-on complete setup mail order from PAW for around $700.00. I thought that was too much back then (idiot!)
I would love to snare a six pak setup, but the new price tag is keeping me at bay. There are a lot better things I could use that kind of cash on at the moment. Maybe after the engine is complete and the car back together....who knows?

Looks like we live close enough, i plan on driving this thing a lot this year. will probably be at the first CMC event and hopefully the big boone county show. stop buy and say hi!!

Attachments

• demon 002 (1280x960).jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 164
Looks like we live close enough, i plan on driving this thing a lot this year. will probably be at the first CMC event and hopefully the big boone county show. stop buy and say hi!!
Aurora, huh?
Try making one of the Park on Park events in Mundelein this year if you can! I plan on being there for as many as I can make!

http://parkonpark.org/

The Mopar faction is way too low...we need to show them Bowtie Boys!

Capt. a tunnel ram would be fine on the street if you can tune the carbs. Take into consideration what the intake will do to the combo at hand. Or is the combo to mello for it?
A pair of Carter 500's would be fine. A pair of 390 Holley's would probably be better for a street ride.

I remember way back a friends buddy took me for a ride in his 340 tunnel rammed Charger. It sported a pair of 390 Holley carbs.

Capt. a tunnel ram would be fine on the street if you can tune the carbs. Take into consideration what the intake will do to the combo at hand. Or is the combo to mello for it?
A pair of Carter 500's would be fine. A pair of 390 Holley's would probably be better for a street ride.

I remember way back a friends buddy took me for a ride in his 340 tunnel rammed Charger. It sported a pair of 390 Holley carbs.

DJV Cuda, got decent E.T's/ drive ability on 390 Holley's, on a tunnel (.484 Purple can, 3 series gears, budget built).Very mild, 360 build. ( It's here, if you research. A lot of work).

DJV Cuda, got decent E.T's/ drive ability on 390 Holley's, on a tunnel (.484 Purple can, 3 series gears, budget built).Very mild, 360 build. ( It's here, if you research. A lot of work).

Exactly!

If you want to do a 6BBL on the cheap, do some swap meet shopping and score a few 350 cfm Big Block Ford carbs. They used the 2300 series carbs from 67 through the early 70's. Can usually buy them for $5 to $10 each.
Cut the back half of the air filter housing mount and fab up some mechanical linkage and you're good to go.

Another comparision for six-pack to 71 340 intake. When I first built the duster and it was running slower than I wanted I swapped the six-pack set-up from my fathers AAR (already had been tuned with the motor). So I went from a hogged out 71 340 intake and a thermoquad that was tuned pretty close, to a pretty well tuned six pack set-up. Car picked up 3.5mph in the 1/4mi.
Now that I have gotten the thermoquad to go 125.5mph I have been curious to swap back the six-pack to see, but haven't gotten around to it.

Scampin, that is an excellent set up. It can be closely replicated via of junk yard parts from other years, but that's the best as is delivered intake and carb set up. (I slightly favor the '72)
FYI for anybody looking to get a simple stock effective set up, that above would be it.
Junk yard TQ's with EGR equipment just need to block it off and plug it up and source a early TQ with as little emissions equipment as possible. It will make for an excellent street or street strip package on the cheap.

Another comparision for six-pack to 71 340 intake. When I first built the duster and it was running slower than I wanted I swapped the six-pack set-up from my fathers AAR (already had been tuned with the motor). So I went from a hogged out 71 340 intake and a thermoquad that was tuned pretty close, to a pretty well tuned six pack set-up. Car picked up 3.5mph in the 1/4mi.
Now that I have gotten the thermoquad to go 125.5mph I have been curious to swap back the six-pack to see, but haven't gotten around to it.

thats not to surprising, the 71 intake is good but still a duel plane and the t quad moves a lot of air. But the 6 pack has a lot of plenum area and 6 barrels spread out. Was this test on your F.A.S.T. engine ?

Attachments

• 71 Demon 340 (92).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 71 Demon 340 (96).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 126
Its a 72 340 tq. Been worked in every area. The jets are drilled to I believe .154, the rods are polished down. Hard to get enough fuel in at the right time when using Q16. It still is pretty rich down low. If I didnt have to launch at 1100rpm it woul be easier to get the fuel curve right.
Yes, it was on the previous rendition of the FAST motor. 402cu in, 11.5:1, mixed pump and race gas. Was pretty streetable. Went 11.28 best.

-
Back