340 timing cover

-

bd1155

Reaction score
I am in need of a 68 340 timing cover.There seems to be a lot of 70 and later out there,can someone tell me what is the differance?Also need 4 lefthand Kelsey-Hayes disc brake wheel studs,any out there?

The 68 timing chain covers have the radiator outlet on the opposite side than the 70 & later covers. The 68 cover also used a bolt on tab for the timing marks that bolted to the two bottom bolts of the water pump.

The 69 cover I believe had the timing marks cast into them.

Oops, forgot that i have a timing cover on the storage shelving, in the garage.
I can help you out with that also.
Send me a PM.

FYI
68 and 69 have the timing marks cast into the cover on the Rt. side, (passengers side)
This topic gets brought up, from time to time.
Ask around on this board, lots of guys have 68's with the timing marks cast into the cover.

Attachments

• Timing Cover 69 001 (Small).JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 248
Jim's your man (Hemi71x). I've dealt with him many times and he's a good guy to deal with.

the cover with the casting timing marks is a 69 cover. 67 and 68 had a bolt on tab. i think they all interchange though.

good luck on the left hand studs, you might have to change them to right hand.

My 68 340 has a bolt on tab. Original engine car.

My 68 Barracuda 318 had a bolt on timing tab also.

Does anyone have an original 68 273, 318, or 340 with original timing marks cast in the timing cover?

the cover with the casting timing marks is a 69 cover. 67 and 68 had a bolt on tab. i think they all interchange though.

I'm not going to get into an internet dogfight about nit picking timing covers apart, with or withought, timing marks cast into the covers.
All that i can tell you is personally had one for years, before i sold it to someone on this board last year, sometime.
Definately had the 68 in the circle on the cover.
Also last year, i was pulling a timing cover off a 68 Satellite, 318 car, at one of the wrecking yards that i frequent.
I cracked the darn thing on removal, as i neglected to remove the bottom left side bolt, as it was caked with grease and grime.
The cover also had the timing marks cast into the cover.
I was pissed that i cracked that one. My goof up.
Anyway, now we can hear from all the guys on this forum that have 68's with the timing marks cast in the cover.
Don't know, don't care, what, when, where, the change over may have occured, on Ma Mopars, assembly lines.

My 68 Barracuda 318 had a bolt on timing tab also.

Does anyone have an original 68 273, 318, or 340 with original timing marks cast in the timing cover?

actually mine has timing marks cast in,original #'s matching block 68 barracuda 340S.corroded clean through water jacket.

Bill, just purchased the timing cover from me, in the above picture.
Went and got it off the storage shelving, in the garage.
Well, come to find out it's a 68 cover, with the timing tab cast into it.
Has the 68 right in the front of it.
So i had one too, all this time. Now it's going to a good new home in NM.

We love a happy ending.

Glad to hear he is getting what he needs and another mopar is closer to getting back on the road.

Picture before i finish packaging it up.
Tab, and 68 number.

Attachments

• 68 cover 001 (Small).JPG
    102 KB · Views: 216
I got interested in this thread.. so I went to look at my 68 340 ... Mine is dated 68 and the timing marks are part of the cast as well. Learned something today

thanks

i have a 318 and have the timing tab on the rt side does anybody have one?,.know what year cars have them.part 2946797

Bill, just purchased the timing cover from me, in the above picture.
Went and got it off the storage shelving, in the garage.
Well, come to find out it's a 68 cover, with the timing tab cast into it.
Has the 68 right in the front of it.
So i had one too, all this time. Now it's going to a good new home in NM.

Another Great Member we have here!!!!

-
Back