340 timing marks dont line up

-

SgtLee511

Reaction score
20 years ago in 93 I put this engine together, and then stopped driving it. At the time I was driving it regularly, I had just took my Direction Purple Shaft Cam out and replaced it with the stock Cam. When I fired it up, I noticed that I was not able to use a timing light on the crank balancer and adjust the timing. You couldnt set the timing because the mark on the crank could not be see. I drove it for awhile but it had no power. In October I refired the motor and back to the restoration. Im thinking I'm a tooth off or something . Because she only wants to run in one position of the distributor, there is no retard or advance? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Varify that the outer ring on the damperer hasn't shifted by checking that the TDC line on your balancer that you check timing with is correct. Get yourself or make yourself a piston stop that goes through the spark plug hole. Turn crank CW and bring No.1 almost to tdc and adjust the stop so piston can't go any further. Put a mark on the dampener across from the TDC line on the chain cover timing scale. Turn the crank CCW until it contacts the stop and put another mark on the damperer across from the TDC line. Actual TDC line on the dampener should be exactly between the 2 marks you just put on

I had the same problem, timing mark was hiding down near the k-member. I just ended up playing with the timing until the car started happily and drove equally happily. Not the best way to do it, but hey.

If the engine runs but has no power, a slipped balancer and/or timing marks are not the problem. You'll need to check/set the crank to cam relation.
I suspect the purple shaft cam was indexed. If so, the stock cam wouldn't go in the same position.

-
Back